Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WTF? AT&T charges $36 to change your phone number?!?!?!!?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    The only choice that's relevant is AT&T's, all the rest is opinions, choice would be to leave or not.
    The wireless carriers are an oligopoly so many times they follow each other - i.e., AT&T bringing back UDP after Verizon did.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    It's a money grab fee that has been on the books for over a decade. Carriers used to charge extra for lots of things like Caller ID, Enhanced Voicemail and domestic/out of state Long Distance.

Yes it sucks and nobody likes them... well most of us on this thread don't anyways.
    Yeah, I am just surprised that AT&T charges this much for a simple self-service phone number change when it is free on Verizon. Usually Verizon and AT&T follow each other on price.

The person who said it isn't relevant what Verizon does is wrong. Verizon and AT&T look at what each other do and pretty much match it although there are some differences. But the difference between $36 and free is huge especially because I bet they charge the communication tax as well as the FUSC on the $36 too so it likely would be more like $40.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    The wireless carriers are an oligopoly so many times they follow each other - i.e., AT&T bringing back UDP after Verizon did.
    not sure what you mean, but the gist seems to be carriers bad and greedy. Please name a for profit company or sector that isn't in a capitalist system. Don't buy the product, quite simple. Addiction is tough to overcome.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    not sure what you mean,
    Look up oligopoly and market failure. ECON 101.

Feedback Score
    ....I change my number frequently....
    Why do you change your number frequently? Curious not judging.

Wouldn't you be bettered served getting a discounted H2O SIM (AT&T MVNO) - new number + 1 month of UTnT 2GB data for $14 from eBay?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I hesitate changing numbers unless absolutely necessary. Nothing worse than getting someone's number that was getting a lot of calls from bill collectors, x-boy/girlfriends, or calls/texts from plain losers in general.

Feedback Score
    I just use google voice 🏻🏻🏻🏻 no need to change my number

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    No one has my real number every one has my Google voice number hell not even my own mother has it, the only time I had to change my real number was when I tried to use uber and my number wouldn't take I was charged 15 by t-mobile and right after the number change I started getting calls from Bill collectors, I would pay money for an new number

Sent from my Galaxy S8 Plus
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I hesitate changing numbers unless absolutely necessary. Nothing worse than getting someone's number that was getting a lot of calls from bill collectors, x-boy/girlfriends, or calls/texts from plain losers in general.
    So you just change your number again. That is why $36 is so outrageous of a fee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    I just use google voice �������� no need to change my number
    But then everyone has your GV number and they get through to you unless you change your GV number, which is just as much of hassle. Also, the GV calls don't sound as good as the VoLTE calls.

Feedback Score
    But then everyone has your GV number and they get through to you unless you change your GV number, which is just as much of hassle. Also, the GV calls don't sound as good as the VoLTE calls.
    If you don't want someone to contact you on GV it's easy to just block them and they get the 'this number is disconnected' message 🏻

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I used to use sideline and give that number out so some wouldn't have my main number. It worked great for a while but recently if I don't answer the call it goes straight to my regular voicemail number. Have had a few people get my main number.

It used to just do that if you declined the call but now it does it no matter what if I miss the call
    Sent from my windows phone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3