Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ATT probably argues that 3G/4G/HSPA supports more phones than LTE only does. And maybe they have backhaul issues at some rural sites.

Even Verizon is marginal in spots. My workplace, LTE can drop out and I only have "3G". At my desk, ATT and T-Mobile are better than Verizon.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    It seems in some cases, they just removed 2G without upgrading to at least HSPA+. On my work phone, which is AT&T, I noticed that in the spots it used to drop to "EDGE", now it just drops to "No Service".

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    It seems in some cases, they just removed 2G without upgrading to at least HSPA+. On my work phone, which is AT&T, I noticed that in the spots it used to drop to "EDGE", now it just drops to "No Service".
    Sort of what I asked earlier. In 2010 I was able to make calls and send texts on Isle Royale using AT&T's ER-GSM signal, about 50 miles from the nearest AT&T tower on the Keweenaw Peninsula. I'm not sure if anything like that would be possible now.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score

Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

This seems about right, AT&T does just enough to get by.

Certainly one of the things I don't miss. It seems as soon as Stan Sigman left, the focus on network (primarily) left with him.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post

Certainly one of the things I don't miss. It seems as soon as Stan Sigman left, the focus on network (primarily) left with him.
    At&t really does seem to do the bare minimum in some ways
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    I just can't understand why they would make their coverage footprint smaller by simply removing 2G without an upgrade in its place. For me it doesn't matter because I have another phone that gets service in those locations, but if AT&T was my only carrier, I wouldn't be too happy about the new No Service areas. Especially given their premium price point.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AT&T shut down Plateau Wireless's GSM network here in NE New Mexico, upgrading some of it to HSPA, and have only upgraded coverage along one highway to LTE. Then there is the matter of completely removing their coverage in the Red River area, a winter & summer resort area that is full of people from Oklahoma and Texas year-round, coverage they only had via roaming on Commnet. If you're an AT&T customer and go to Red River, you've got bupkis, no service at all. There is a definite pattern of just not covering some places any more with anything.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    AT&T shut down Plateau Wireless's GSM network here in NE New Mexico, upgrading some of it to HSPA, and have only upgraded coverage along one highway to LTE. Then there is the matter of completely removing their coverage in the Red River area, a winter & summer resort area that is full of people from Oklahoma and Texas year-round, coverage they only had via roaming on Commnet. If you're an AT&T customer and go to Red River, you've got bupkis, no service at all. There is a definite pattern of just not covering some places any more with anything.
    How is T-Mobile Verizon and Sprint service in the red river area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm if the site up at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite was converted to 3G? It's one of the few stragglers that may not have been upgraded or decom'ed yet. It went to a "summer only" site with microwave backhaul after a rockslide took out the cable feeding the upper part of the park in 2014.

Haven't been up to TM in a couple years: that plus the road just opened a couple weeks ago.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kilovolt View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the site up at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite was converted to 3G? It's one of the few stragglers that may not have been upgraded or decom'ed yet. It went to a "summer only" site with microwave backhaul after a rockslide took out the cable feeding the upper part of the park in 2014.

Haven't been up to TM in a couple years: that plus the road just opened a couple weeks ago.
    Have you checked Sensorly or cell mapper?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    7 months and still no replacement of 2G?im brother lives in a few weak areas that only get 2G and now hes on t-mobile using HSPA+...hes thinking of putting his company on t-mobile cause with the lack of 2G he doesnt get voice in all the areas he use to...i notice att REALLY lacking on their network in the last 2 years if they keep this up att will be head to head with sprint in no time and itll be VZW and t-mobile at number 1 and 2
    Sign up for Ibotta, the app that really helps you save money on item's you already buy, click on the link below to get a $10 bonus! After $20 you can send the funds to a PayPal account or a gift card (wal-mart,target,giant eagle etc)

https://www.ibotta.com/r/vkubwkv

Don't have Ibotta? download it here:

Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibotta.android

iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibotta/id559887125

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post

When I used AT&T for my primary line I used to get so frustrated that with all their money they would always settle for 2nd fiddle to Verizon. I wanted them to cream Verizon and take the number 1 spot for network coverage and reliability nationwide.

It's all coming back to me now!

I'm sure things will get better if they can get most states to opt in to the FirstNet contract.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post

I don't know about Sprint since I don't know anyone who has Sprint service, but their coverage maps show Extended LTE service in Red River. I have to assume that is via roaming on Verizon but don't know for sure. T-Mobile and Verizon both have good service, though they can both get congested and slow down horribly if there area lot of people in town.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post

best thing to do is grab a sprint prepaid like boost and see how the coverage is ur self i would not go by sprints coverage map...always self test

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto G LTE, Samsung Rugby Smart Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed that the StraightTalk ads say that after your 3G data allowance is used up, you will be slowed to 2G. I guess they just mean 128kps rather than actually connecting to a 2G network.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast