Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65

Thread: Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,486
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    ATT probably argues that 3G/4G/HSPA supports more phones than LTE only does. And maybe they have backhaul issues at some rural sites.

    Even Verizon is marginal in spots. My workplace, LTE can drop out and I only have "3G". At my desk, ATT and T-Mobile are better than Verizon.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    146
    Feedback Score
    0
    It seems in some cases, they just removed 2G without upgrading to at least HSPA+. On my work phone, which is AT&T, I noticed that in the spots it used to drop to "EDGE", now it just drops to "No Service".

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    13,672
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    It seems in some cases, they just removed 2G without upgrading to at least HSPA+. On my work phone, which is AT&T, I noticed that in the spots it used to drop to "EDGE", now it just drops to "No Service".
    Sort of what I asked earlier. In 2010 I was able to make calls and send texts on Isle Royale using AT&T's ER-GSM signal, about 50 miles from the nearest AT&T tower on the Keweenaw Peninsula. I'm not sure if anything like that would be possible now.
    Donald Newcomb

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,882
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

    This seems about right, AT&T does just enough to get by.

    Certainly one of the things I don't miss. It seems as soon as Stan Sigman left, the focus on network (primarily) left with him.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,657
    Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This seems about right, AT&T does just enough to get by.

    Certainly one of the things I don't miss. It seems as soon as Stan Sigman left, the focus on network (primarily) left with him.
    At&t really does seem to do the bare minimum in some ways
    Sent from my windows phone

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    146
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just can't understand why they would make their coverage footprint smaller by simply removing 2G without an upgrade in its place. For me it doesn't matter because I have another phone that gets service in those locations, but if AT&T was my only carrier, I wouldn't be too happy about the new No Service areas. Especially given their premium price point.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    457
    Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    AT&T shut down Plateau Wireless's GSM network here in NE New Mexico, upgrading some of it to HSPA, and have only upgraded coverage along one highway to LTE. Then there is the matter of completely removing their coverage in the Red River area, a winter & summer resort area that is full of people from Oklahoma and Texas year-round, coverage they only had via roaming on Commnet. If you're an AT&T customer and go to Red River, you've got bupkis, no service at all. There is a definite pattern of just not covering some places any more with anything.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    249
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    AT&T shut down Plateau Wireless's GSM network here in NE New Mexico, upgrading some of it to HSPA, and have only upgraded coverage along one highway to LTE. Then there is the matter of completely removing their coverage in the Red River area, a winter & summer resort area that is full of people from Oklahoma and Texas year-round, coverage they only had via roaming on Commnet. If you're an AT&T customer and go to Red River, you've got bupkis, no service at all. There is a definite pattern of just not covering some places any more with anything.
    How is T-Mobile Verizon and Sprint service in the red river area?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    235
    Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Can anyone confirm if the site up at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite was converted to 3G? It's one of the few stragglers that may not have been upgraded or decom'ed yet. It went to a "summer only" site with microwave backhaul after a rockslide took out the cable feeding the upper part of the park in 2014.

    Haven't been up to TM in a couple years: that plus the road just opened a couple weeks ago.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,325
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kilovolt View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the site up at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite was converted to 3G? It's one of the few stragglers that may not have been upgraded or decom'ed yet. It went to a "summer only" site with microwave backhaul after a rockslide took out the cable feeding the upper part of the park in 2014.

    Haven't been up to TM in a couple years: that plus the road just opened a couple weeks ago.
    Have you checked Sensorly or cell mapper?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,114
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    7 months and still no replacement of 2G?im brother lives in a few weak areas that only get 2G and now hes on t-mobile using HSPA+...hes thinking of putting his company on t-mobile cause with the lack of 2G he doesnt get voice in all the areas he use to...i notice att REALLY lacking on their network in the last 2 years if they keep this up att will be head to head with sprint in no time and itll be VZW and t-mobile at number 1 and 2
    Sign up for Ibotta, the app that really helps you save money on item's you already buy, click on the link below to get a $10 bonus! After $20 you can send the funds to a PayPal account or a gift card (wal-mart,target,giant eagle etc)

    https://www.ibotta.com/r/vkubwkv

    Don't have Ibotta? download it here:

    Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibotta.android

    iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibotta/id559887125

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,042
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This seems about right, AT&T does just enough to get by.

    Certainly one of the things I don't miss. It seems as soon as Stan Sigman left, the focus on network (primarily) left with him.
    When I used AT&T for my primary line I used to get so frustrated that with all their money they would always settle for 2nd fiddle to Verizon. I wanted them to cream Verizon and take the number 1 spot for network coverage and reliability nationwide.

    It's all coming back to me now!

    I'm sure things will get better if they can get most states to opt in to the FirstNet contract.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    457
    Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    How is T-Mobile Verizon and Sprint service in the red river area?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know about Sprint since I don't know anyone who has Sprint service, but their coverage maps show Extended LTE service in Red River. I have to assume that is via roaming on Verizon but don't know for sure. T-Mobile and Verizon both have good service, though they can both get congested and slow down horribly if there area lot of people in town.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,114
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    How is T-Mobile Verizon and Sprint service in the red river area?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    best thing to do is grab a sprint prepaid like boost and see how the coverage is ur self i would not go by sprints coverage map...always self test

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    158
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto G LTE, Samsung Rugby Smart Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have noticed that the StraightTalk ads say that after your 3G data allowance is used up, you will be slowed to 2G. I guess they just mean 128kps rather than actually connecting to a 2G network.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is the entire network down?
    By ccamfield in forum Mobilicity
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
  3. Is it possible to completely shut off the H3?
    By bsjd00 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 10:35 PM
  4. Is the GPRS network down for Rogers?
    By AndyVX in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2002, 05:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks