Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    ATT probably argues that 3G/4G/HSPA supports more phones than LTE only does. And maybe they have backhaul issues at some rural sites.

Even Verizon is marginal in spots. My workplace, LTE can drop out and I only have "3G". At my desk, ATT and T-Mobile are better than Verizon.
    Each to his own...
    Verizon Wireless is the best at my workplace. LTE inside and sometimes 1x.
    Sprint is the next best thanks to FOX.
    AT&T is bad, nothing but 4G offices near the window and "No Service" in the interior (it's also bad outside because it's super slow).
    Their solution was to pony up for the $5,000 MetroCell (and maybe $1,500 installation fee) or the $350 MicroCell...

T-Mobile... just dead inside..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post
    I have noticed that the StraightTalk ads say that after your 3G data allowance is used up, you will be slowed to 2G. I guess they just mean 128kps rather than actually connecting to a 2G network.
    its a QOS trottle now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Off topic and nothing to do with the thread. This was talking about 2G being shutdown, not upgrades to HSPA+ or LTE. There are other threads for that.
    Have you noticed that ggore always says the same thing? All he cares about is that one EDGE site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This seems about right, AT&T does just enough to get by.
    I don't agree with this... at all.

AT&T's network is nothing short of fantastic in my area. They have been constantly adding new sites for densification.

Up in Maine, they have FIVE LTE carriers live with LTE (B2/4/5/17/30). To this day, Sprint still has no LTE in parts of the state.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T has a great network no doubt about it. Where I think they fall short is the plan department. Their postpaid plans absolutely suck in my opinion. The older msa $50 for 1gb is atrocious. I tried the $60 cheaper unlimited at 3 down and the bill was almost 80 with tax. They wouldn't give me the $5 auto pay discount since it wasn't debit or checking.

The exception can be one of their loyalty plans but those seem outdated now with what's out there and also maybe a directv deal. When I signed up the rep didn't mention excludes cc but it's on the website. No way id do automatic debit from my account with all the scams out there. I've had cc number lifted a few times but that's the banks money not mine.

The plans are my biggest complaint if I had to pick one thing
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Have you noticed that ggore always says the same thing? All he cares about is that one EDGE site.

According to ggore's posts, which no one has disproven, AT&T left his local site sit there with only 2G/EDGE service for 11 years after 3G and/or then LTE was added to every other site in his area. I would agree that I, nor any other FoFo user would bot be happy with such a situation. I recall many threads where the same people complain about continued and unaddressed problems and long-delayed upgrades to service in their areas for years, Ggore is no different. Civil debate and discussion are much prefeable to personal attacks such as this imho.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention, more LTE would be nice too

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    According to ggore's posts, which no one has disproven, AT&T left his local site sit there with only 2G/EDGE service for 11 years after 3G and/or then LTE was added to every other site in his area. I would agree that I, nor any other FoFo user would bot be happy with such a situation. I recall many threads where the same people complain about continued and unaddressed problems and long-delayed upgrades to service in their areas for years, Ggore is no different. Civil debate and discussion are much prefeable to personal attacks such as this imho.
    Right, but posting it on literally every thread that has to do with network upgrades is a *little* ridiculous don't you think? I could complain about how Verizon left my city to rot until about 6-7 months ago on every Verizon thread, with consistent drops to 3G due to lack of cell sites that T-Mobile and AT&T never faced, or the fact that Sprint only has 3 sites in my entire city with B41, whereas AT&T has more that 10x that with B30 alone, not to mention other sites without B30.

I understand the complaints. It sucks. But vote with your wallet. AT&T and Verizon's prices aren't regional. If one works for you better than the other, then choose that one. T-Mobile is obviously a better option than AT&T is there. Are there areas where Sprint outperforms everyone? Probably. Does that mean because Joe from Kansas city is seeing those results, that everyone wants to hear about the lack of investment AT&T has done there on every single thread about their network there? I know I sure I don't. Complaining about AT&T's lack of capital in Oklahoma on a cellular forum that no carrier (Maybe T-mobile) reads is yelling at a deaf person.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right, but posting it on literally every thread that has to do with network upgrades is a *little* ridiculous don't you think? I could complain about how Verizon left my city to rot until about 6-7 months ago on every Verizon thread, with consistent drops to 3G due to lack of cell sites that T-Mobile and AT&T never faced, or the fact that Sprint only has 3 sites in my entire city with B41, whereas AT&T has more that 10x that with B30 alone, not to mention other sites without B30.

I understand the complaints. It sucks. But vote with your wallet. AT&T and Verizon's prices aren't regional. If one works for you better than the other, then choose that one. T-Mobile is obviously a better option than AT&T is there. Are there areas where Sprint outperforms everyone? Probably. Does that mean because Joe from Kansas city is seeing those results, that everyone wants to hear about the lack of investment AT&T has done there on every single thread about their network there? I know I sure I don't. Complaining about AT&T's lack of capital in Oklahoma on a cellular forum that no carrier (Maybe T-mobile) reads is yelling at a deaf person.

may hes hoping that a att worker will see this and offer him some help? i would do the same if att wasnt going to help...att really messed up their voice coverage with the shutdown of 2G, in my area theres still a few good spots where it was 2G only but no it says no service cause they never replaced it with 3G/LTE ..its been like 6 months..does anyone know what at plans to do with all these dead zones...att cant give me a answer
    Sign up for Ibotta, the app that really helps you save money on item's you already buy, click on the link below to get a $10 bonus! After $20 you can send the funds to a PayPal account or a gift card (wal-mart,target,giant eagle etc)

https://www.ibotta.com/r/vkubwkv

Don't have Ibotta? download it here:

Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibotta.android

iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibotta/id559887125

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This seems about right, AT&T does just enough to get by.

Certainly one of the things I don't miss. It seems as soon as Stan Sigman left, the focus on network (primarily) left with him.
    Really?
    I noticed AT&T fulfilled their promise to bring 3G/LTE to Vermont, and when that B5 LTE only network got oversold, they started to add B2 and B30 carriers and VoLTE. How about where I normally live? I have seen the addition of B4/B2/B30 and 3xCA on their LTE network. How about the steady B2 upgrade from 5 MHz to 15 MHz to 20 MHz channels? This isn't a company that's doing just enough to get by. This is company serious of being a serious player.

AT&T isn't perfect, because the ride can be rough with them but they're doing their best. If they weren't, I would notice this...AT&T wouldn't be spending the effort to swap out the antennas, as often as they do.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    may hes hoping that a att worker will see this and offer him some help? i would do the same if att wasnt going to help...
    Not the best forum, because AT&T has their own forums where you have employees who are made aware of their own AT&T Community Forums and are able to escalate the issue right when you PM them with details. If ggore, is seeking help here then its not working because this problem persists and he keeps mentioning it over and over, which leads me to believe that they are either 1.) Not present 2.) or they read his posts and didn't give it a second thought (or was given an nebulous answer).

Coming here doesn't speed anything up, AT&T upgrades their network on their own schedule and budget.

....att really messed up their voice coverage with the shutdown of 2G, in my area theres still a few good spots where it was 2G only but no it says no service cause they never replaced it with 3G/LTE ..its been like 6 months..does anyone know what at plans to do with all these dead zones...att cant give me a answer

Believe it or not, AT&T doesn't always have an answer.
    I had contractors working on an AT&T site tell me the new Quintel antennas would be installed in 4-6 weeks, it took more like another 4-5 months before they were installed, but we aren't done yet...the cables took another month or two to get connected. I bet you if I asked the AT&T techinican I saw working at the site some questions about when it will be installed, he will likely have mentioned a timeframe which is completely off into the left field or an "I don't know".

I even have seen AT&T upgrade a site in 1-2 days.
    Maybe the antennas where stacked on the ground with the cardboard all wet a and dirty, but the actual installation of antennas and cabling done quickly.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 07-16-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any time they phase out support there are issues for awhile. When dropped analog for TDMA, coverage dropped. When dropped TDMA for GSM only, coverage dropped. (Though there was only 1 or 2 phones that could support both). Now dropping GSM/2G, coverage is dropping again.

And when they drop 3G/4G for LTE, coverage will drop again. We are down to a single city block by then?

Eventually, they fill in some of these areas. And extra. But each time, ATT has the option of deciding whether coverage in an area is worth the additional investment.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying myself the new generation iPhone about every 2 years.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Right, but posting it on literally every thread that has to do with network upgrades is a *little* ridiculous don't you think?
    No, I don't think complaining about the fact that AT&T had not upgraded their service at his location for 11 years is ridiculous at all. It's 2017, every single AT&T site should have been upgraded to at least 3G long ago. He says the other carriers are using common carrier fiber at that tower for their backhaul, so unavailability of backhaul cannot be the problem. AT&T also could have installed microwave backhaul if no fiber was available as well.

One has to assume that somewhere in the list of HoFo users might be an AT&T employee or two that take notice and might help in some way or at least some info of any kind. I have traveled through the part of Oklahoma where he lives and spent long stretches of time there working in the oil & gas business, and can confirm that AT&T's service there is full of holes and full of places where there is HSPA but not LTE. My carrier, T-Mobile, moved in there a few years ago and built a good network in 5 years that puts AT&T's to absolute shame. Every single T-Mobile site is LTE. Some of my co-workers have Verizon service and report that it is great via their LTEiRA partner Pioneer Cellular in that area, also more comprehensive than AT&T.

Why AT&T can't do or finish upgrades has been a huge problem and a much-discussed characteristic of them for years, anyone who has been around on HoFo has seen evidence of that.

There is a thread in HoFo with 68 pages of mostly the same people complaining about lack of upgrades or any service at all in northern Michigan, so I don't begrudge anyone's complaints and utilizing any means to get an answer to their problems. I don't read it because it doesn't affect my location, but I really don't care if those people continually complain or not. Power to them!

Edit: I do remember someone from AT&T telling ggore in a thread last fall that his local site would be upgraded to LTE in 2017 when he noted it had only been upgraded to HSPA in the GSM shutdown. We are now 7 months after that GSM shutdown as he said in this thread and that LTE upgrade has not yet occurred. I don't see anything wrong with his noting that fact.
    Last edited by CavanalClimber; 07-17-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Really?
    I noticed AT&T fulfilled their promise to bring 3G/LTE to Vermont, and when that B5 LTE only network got oversold, they started to add B2 and B30 carriers and VoLTE. How about where I normally live? I have seen the addition of B4/B2/B30 and 3xCA on their LTE network. How about the steady B2 upgrade from 5 MHz to 15 MHz to 20 MHz channels? This isn't a company that's doing just enough to get by. This is company serious of being a serious player.

AT&T isn't perfect, because the ride can be rough with them but they're doing their best. If they weren't, I would notice this...AT&T wouldn't be spending the effort to swap out the antennas, as often as they do.
    Concurred!!! I'm seeing a lot of B30 deployments in my area, so AT&T is definitely serious about capacity upgrades.
    Last edited by DRC72; 07-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    Hartford, CT Area

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Does gophone not access b30? I have a gophone line and the store rep said I'd have to be on postpaid to get b30 even with the latest and greatest phone. I figure it was bs to try and get me to switch to postpaid

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast