Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    45
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is the 2G Network completely shut down as of today?

    I thought I read somewhere that AT&T shut off it's entire 2G EDGE network. Is this true?

    Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Temple
    Posts
    1,441
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, edge was shut down.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Posts
    262
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that AT&T shut off it's entire 2G EDGE network. Is this true?

    Thanks guys.
    As Nucleartx has said, EDGE was shut down not too far after the deadline. The hardware is mostly still on the cell towers, but EDGE has been soft-disabled, meaning it is no longer an available network for devices to connect to (except maybe when dialing 911). The only place EDGE may still be enabled is where there is no other cellular technology deployed, which to my understanding is in very few places (in the teens, as far as how many towers are left with it), but AT&T is working to upgrade those sites to at least H+/UMTS.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,593
    Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    As Nucleartx has said, EDGE was shut down not too far after the deadline. The hardware is mostly still on the cell towers, but EDGE has been soft-disabled, meaning it is no longer an available network for devices to connect to (except maybe when dialing 911). The only place EDGE may still be enabled is where there is no other cellular technology deployed, which to my understanding is in very few places (in the teens, as far as how many towers are left with it), but AT&T is working to upgrade those sites to at least H+/UMTS.
    Edge has been shut off on all sites. If they weren't upgraded to UMTS/HSPA+, then they were decommissioned.

    Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

    -

    Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Posts
    262
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Edge has been shut off on all sites. If they weren't upgraded to UMTS/HSPA+, then they were decommissioned.
    I stand corrected. Thought there were some straggling sites, but I guess that changed. Thanks, sir.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    18,613
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    As Nucleartx has said, EDGE was shut down not too far after the deadline. The hardware is mostly still on the cell towers, but EDGE has been soft-disabled, meaning it is no longer an available network for devices to connect to (except maybe when dialing 911). The only place EDGE may still be enabled is where there is no other cellular technology deployed, which to my understanding is in very few places (in the teens, as far as how many towers are left with it), but AT&T is working to upgrade those sites to at least H+/UMTS.
    EDGE is data only. It would not be involved in voice calls. It is the same with EV-DO on CDMA networks.
    Earl F. Parrish

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Posts
    262
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    EDGE is data only. It would not be involved in voice calls. It is the same with EV-DO on CDMA networks.
    Just rip me apart, you wolves
    Sorry, *GSM*/2G entirely was turned down.

    Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    11 years after debuting the technology, AT&T upgraded their site here from 2G/EDGE to "4G"/HSPA in November. The two other carriers on the same tower put out LTE, T-Mobile with 80 Mbps and VoLTE, and Pioneer with 45 Mbps and VoLTE. AT&T's "4G"/HSPA puts out 7 Mbps. Hopefully it won't be another 11 years before AT&T finally upgrades this site with LTE.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    13,921
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    11 years after debuting the technology, AT&T upgraded their site here from 2G/EDGE to "4G"/HSPA in November. The two other carriers on the same tower put out LTE, T-Mobile with 80 Mbps and VoLTE, and Pioneer with 45 Mbps and VoLTE. AT&T's "4G"/HSPA puts out 7 Mbps. Hopefully it won't be another 11 years before AT&T finally upgrades this site with LTE.
    OTOH, T-Mobile left a lot of sites 2G while waiting for backhaul to support LTE speeds. I don't begrudge AT&T having HSPA-only at some rural sites. It allows them to keep the technology uncomplicated while planning upgrades to LTE and still provide high speed service. Verizon had no choice. They had to go to LTE because EV-DO wasn't fast enough for any reasonable usage. T-Mobile had to go to LTE in areas where they had 700 MHz because that was their only low band. AT&T has the luxury of being able to phase LTE into rural areas in a measured way. It makes sense to me.

    Most customers don't live and die by speed tests. If it's fast enough, it's good enough.
    Donald Newcomb

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A number of places.
    Posts
    326
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    0
    Are there any roamer networks that AT&T now owns that were 2G but never integrated and still running? I ask this because I know of a purchase they made a couple of years ago, but the 2G network is still running. (However it isn't clear if they actually own the network, or merely purchased the spectrum. The MCC-MNC code never changed.)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,278
    Feedback Score
    0
    They havent fixed alot of holes created since 2G went offline. Once 2G was turned off , i noticed 3 new drops points .

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,593
    Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    11 years after debuting the technology, AT&T upgraded their site here from 2G/EDGE to "4G"/HSPA in November. The two other carriers on the same tower put out LTE, T-Mobile with 80 Mbps and VoLTE, and Pioneer with 45 Mbps and VoLTE. AT&T's "4G"/HSPA puts out 7 Mbps. Hopefully it won't be another 11 years before AT&T finally upgrades this site with LTE.
    Off topic and nothing to do with the thread. This was talking about 2G being shutdown, not upgrades to HSPA+ or LTE. There are other threads for that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    0
    I miss edge & gsm, it's more nostalgia then anything. But I do wish att would upgrade to lte and not 3g

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,593
    Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drueburgendy View Post
    I miss edge & gsm, it's more nostalgia then anything. But I do wish att would upgrade to lte and not 3g
    In my opinion, while yes, an LTE upgrade would be nice on sites, the 3G/LTE upgrade is the best user experience. Having 850 MHz UMTS gives AT&T long range usable data when LTE cuts out because the airlink is less fragile- a far better experience than a drop to EVDO in Verizon's case, EDGE in T-Mobile's case, and no service in Sprint's case. I hope to see LTE on all sites soon enough.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    OTOH, T-Mobile left a lot of sites 2G while waiting for backhaul to support LTE speeds. I don't begrudge AT&T having HSPA-only at some rural sites. It allows them to keep the technology uncomplicated while planning upgrades to LTE and still provide high speed service. Verizon had no choice. They had to go to LTE because EV-DO wasn't fast enough for any reasonable usage. T-Mobile had to go to LTE in areas where they had 700 MHz because that was their only low band. AT&T has the luxury of being able to phase LTE into rural areas in a measured way. It makes sense to me.

    Most customers don't live and die by speed tests. If it's fast enough, it's good enough.
    Waiting 11 years to go from 2G/EDGE to anything else, and doing that ONLY because you are shutting down that 2G/EDGE is acting in a "measured way". Got it. LOL They aren't even running that "4G" at its full capability, it's just sad. I give T-Mobile full credit, they own spectrum and are putting it to FULL use here, it's Band 2, not ideal at all, but at least when they shut down their 2G/EDGE they opted to go all the way and it will do till 600 comes around. We will see in another 11 years if AT&T is still acting in this measured way. I sure hope not.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is the entire network down?
    By ccamfield in forum Mobilicity
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
  3. Is it possible to completely shut off the H3?
    By bsjd00 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 10:35 PM
  4. Is the GPRS network down for Rogers?
    By AndyVX in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2002, 05:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks