Thread: Want your thoughts...

Feedback Score

Want your thoughts...

I have an iPhone 6S and live in a FAIR signal area in the Minneapolis, MN market.
    Inside my home, checking my signal on my phone, I get -113 to -118 upstairs and lose signal in the basement. I picked up an LTE Personal Cell Spot (the microcell one) about 2 years ago and it brings my signal to full bars throughout the house. I also have a very good wifi system with UniFi APs throughout the house, garage and detached shop.
    My question is this - Is it better to use the Cell Spot or WiFi calling, both or???

I've been having issues with delayed text messages and I think it's a T-Mobile issue, but I'm just wondering if there is a glaring benefit between them two options and why.

At work I have pretty good signal thanks to several towers near and two on our properties throughout the city. We also have almost a thousand Cisco AP's on a very robust 10gb backbone and internet service. I wish the iPhone had the option to use cellular and backup to WiFi, but only android does that I guess.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think the Cellspot is better in the case of the iPhone. In my experience, wifi calling would almost always transfer over to the LTE network once I walked to my kitchen.. so not worth getting the wifi one.

Feedback Score
    The micro cell (Cell Spot) is better because if your cellular signal is very weak from T-Mobile, then your phone battery is going to drain quickly. Even if you are using WiFi calling. With the Cell Spot, the full signal will help extend your battery life. One thing to consider with the Cell Spot is that if you are in a neighborhood that has houses very close by, If they can pickup your cell Spot, they will be using your home internet data also. So if a neighbor has T-Mobile and suddenly sees a great signal and starts streaming lot's of data, that may be a problem if you have a cap on your home ISP.
    There is no way to stop people outside of your house, that also have T-mobile, from also using your Cell Spot if they can pick up it's signal.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You should put your phone in airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi on and see how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The answer to this question is debatable. The LTE CellSpot will hand off to towers when you walk outside but not, as I understand it, the other way around. It will also let any T-Mobile customer ride on your Internet connection for free. WiFi Calling will drop when you walk out of the range of your WiFi signal. it's also highly dependent on the quality of your router.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It depends on how you setup your phone for either "Cellular Preferred" or "WiFi Preferred. " Both work equally at home but when I am in a restaurant or sports bar where their WiFi isn't all that good, I like the "Cellular Preferred" option set on my phone in that case since it will fall back to WiFi only if Cellular signal is weaker.

That said I keep my Cell Spot unplugged since Xfinitiy has a lot of short outages over their broadband in my area. If the Comcast internet has a problem then your phone is lock to the Cell Spot Signal, it won't use the T-Mobile signal from the T-Mobile tower that is like four bars in my house.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    You should put your phone in airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi on and see how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app
    This makes the most sense.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.