Thread: Why is there no option to force LTE?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Why is there no option to force LTE?

Why hasn't Verizon allowed customers to choose to use (VoLTE capable, obviously) phones on the LTE network only? If I don't have 4G, I'd rather have no service.

I can force 3G only, not that I'd ever want to, and 3G is terribly spectrally inefficient. Why not an LTE-only mode yet? CDMA is going away in a few years, so I think it's time to let the 4G network stand on its own.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With the way the network is tuned falling to 3G is so rare you don't really need an LTE-only mode. On the rare occasion I do fall back I appreciate having CDMA for calls and texts. It usually works infinitely better for me as a fallback than AT&T's UMTS.

Feedback Score
    You need a LTE only mode for areas of fringe LTE service where the phone will otherwise get stuck on EVDO or 1X The LTE signal while weak is much much faster.

Some devices and phones do allow you to force LTE only.

If you decide to do it on your phone make sure you have VoLTE enabled.

Verizon is now offering a flip phone that is LTE only so I think we should start seeing LTE only smart phones soon.

There is a lock4GLTE tweak for jailbroken IOS and a app for android 4G LTE Only Mode Switch.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    I really wish the iPhone could do this, I drop to 1x sometimes even though there is LTE there. My friends on android don't drop to 1x

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drueburgendy View Post
    I really wish the iPhone could do this, I drop to 1x sometimes even though there is LTE there. My friends on android don't drop to 1x
    I would be worried that it is 1x or nothing, and not 1x or LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I can respect what the OP is saying. Like it's 4G or bust.

With Verizon marketing message, I doubt you'll see what you're asking for anytime soon.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drueburgendy View Post
    I also have the iPhone 7 and occasionally have issues with the phone dropping to 3G or 1x. Frankly, I think the iPhone 7 sucks in the reception department - at least on Verizon. I have no idea if it's the hardware, the OS, the carrier settings or what, but the iP7 seems to have more issues than my 6S did.

Personally, I think the iPhone leaves a lot to be desired in the algorithms it uses for signal selection. I've been an iPhone user since the beginning (back when it was AT&T only) and I felt the same way with AT&T. If I toggle airplane mode on and off when on an inferior network (i.e. 3G), the iPhone will almost always find a better signal (LTE) afterwards. Why can't it do this on it's own? It eventually does, but sometimes it takes several minutes. Yet, I can force it manually by toggling airplane mode. Again, I've had these types of issues for YEARS both with Verizon and AT&T. I've never been an Android owner, but my friends who have Androids claim that they don't have these issues.
    Last edited by jkozlow3; 07-12-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I don't have any more problems with my iPhone 7 than my 5S, 6, or 6S on Verizon. I just wish I didn't have to deal with 1X or 3G unless I choose to.