Thread: ATT choices?

Device(s)
    iphones se
    Carrier(s)
    att & verizon (resellers of course)
    Feedback Score

ATT choices?

I'm on the redpocket 1 year/1 gb for att (or just got it!) but I didn't think there would be a tethering problem but there is.. there is some stupid "login" to this webpage on my unlocked iphone.. thing just like I got with my verizon sim.. so I guess, I need a alternative? I know about truphone but that's not feasible..

So what plan can I get for a low amount.. with data and or tethering/facetime?

Device(s)
    Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, T-Mobile Prepaid, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theemaster View Post
    I'm on the redpocket 1 year/1 gb for att (or just got it!) but I didn't think there would be a tethering problem but there is.. there is some stupid "login" to this webpage on my unlocked iphone.. thing just like I got with my verizon sim.. so I guess, I need a alternative? I know about truphone but that's not feasible..

Consumer Cellular allows tethering, but it may or may not be inexpensive, depending on your usage. My wife and daughter have it on their phones, and I had them set up tethering on my wife's phone.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score

This is not a full answer but just a note. Only a very few MVNO's are authorized by Apple to distribute a customized-to-them iPhone configuration package that unlocks the hotspot on iPhones and a few other iPhone features.

So RedPocket did not do anything to block the hotspot. They just chose not to pay tens of thousands of dollars to Apple. AT&T is not allowed by Apple to pass through its Apple credentials to its MVNO's. Each MVNO has to pay up to Apple and few do.

PDANet is a workaround but requires jailbreaking.

Feedback Score
    Foxfi should also work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    red pocket sounds like it would be a good choice for some people as a backup phone for vacations. Especially if they currently have TMobile or Sprint. Especially with multiple people, and if someone is going into a marginal area for their normal phones, a $10/month plan phone would be good.

Not especially for a single person. Having the $10 essential plan on the verizon network in addition to a $40 GoPhone plan doesn't really save all that much from a $55+tax Verizon postpaid account.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Device(s)
    iphones se
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    This is not a full answer but just a note. Only a very few MVNO's are authorized by Apple to distribute a customized-to-them iPhone configuration package that unlocks the hotspot on iPhones and a few other iPhone features.

So RedPocket did not do anything to block the hotspot. They just chose not to pay tens of thousands of dollars to Apple. AT&T is not allowed by Apple to pass through its Apple credentials to its MVNO's. Each MVNO has to pay up to Apple and few do.

PDANet is a workaround but requires jailbreaking.
    this does not make any sense.. to be honest.

basically my truphone sim.. will let me tether all day long! but of course at $.09 a megabyte.. that can get pricey...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

basically my truphone sim.. will let me tether all day long! but of course at $.09 a megabyte.. that can get pricey...
    They need to be able to push a special "carrier update" to your phone. If the MVNO doesn't have their own specific carrier update, then the iPhone can check with the main network you are on. So if on an ATT MVNO, and the phone calls in to ATT, it won't find the flags to enable hotspot for example. Or MMS.

Android phones can follow the same type of policies. Some other Android based phones just assume hotspot is enabled, even if your plan isn't supposed to offer it.

Feedback Score

You're right it is unfair but that is what Apple decided. TruPhone is one of the very few that decided to pay the big dollars to Apple to have its own full carrier package for its customers. They did not have it at first, but finally made a global deal with Apple last summer as I recall or maybe it was the summer before. The reason they can afford it is they mainly serve the high-end business traveller market and the consumer side is just a small part. Their Apple also allows them to sell iPhones and offer vatious special Apple programs such as http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-sim-...-40-countries/.

Without a deal with Apple, MVNO's cannot enable certain Apple technology including hotspot. They would all love to offer it if they could.

Feedback Score
    Here is the official list of Apple Carrier Partners in the U.S. and Canada:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039

It shows which MVNO's and carriers are approved for LTE, Personal Hotspot, VoLTE, WiFi calling, etc.

For example, TruPhone, Cricket, Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, Ting and Boost are among those approved, as well of course as the major carriers.

No other carriers are allowed by Apple to unlock iPhone hotspots.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-12-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Device(s)
    iphones se
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Here is the official list of Apple Carrier Partners in the U.S. and Canada:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039

It shows which MVNO's and carriers are approved for LTE, Personal Hotspot, VoLTE, WiFi calling, etc.

For example, TruPhone, Cricket, Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, Ting and Boost are among those approved, as well of course as the major carriers.

No other carriers are allowed by Apple to unlock iPhone hotspots.
    okay, thanks for the clarification.. now to find a carrier I guess that supports hotspot.. hmm that or carry a android phone/router everywhere

Feedback Score
    okay, thanks for the clarification.. now to find a carrier I guess that supports hotspot.. hmm that or carry a android phone/router everywhere
    AT&T prepaid & verizon prepaid offer
    Tethering

Device(s)
    iphones se
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    yah that's pricey.. just gonna find a phone/buy a router I guess.. probably realistically.. 2 of e'm.

Feedback Score
    Just get Freedompop