Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VoLTE Pervasiveness

Feedback Score
    The LTE phones we have note 3, note 4, and T1114.
    AFAIK the note 3 doesn't support VoLTE the note 4 does but only if "HD Voice" is enabled i think. The T1114 supports VoLTE but only if "Home 4G Voice" is enabled.

I know the T1114 can't do it without that feature so I just assumed nothing else could either.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, if I were Verizon I'd do some sorta incentive program to get Fully VoLTE devices into every subs hands.

Unless, somehow Verizon doesn't actually want that to be the case!? Meaning, with unlimited data return, they're trying to keep bandwidth usage to a minimum including VoLTE...

The consumers are only going to get savvier with time, IMJS.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Feedback Score
    They have all these incompatible phones to sell what are they supposed to do with those?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Cost of doing business I suppose.

They're behind on this initiative if you ask me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Yeah, if I were Verizon I'd do some sorta incentive program to get Fully VoLTE devices into every subs hands.

Unless, somehow Verizon doesn't actually want that to be the case!? Meaning, with unlimited data return, they're trying to keep bandwidth usage to a minimum including VoLTE...

The consumers are only going to get savvier with time, IMJS.
    VoLTE reduces the burden on the network. Making a VoLTE is much more efficient than over CDMA.

It also allows them to route more efficient and avoid the PSTN network in many cases.

The only reason I can see them not doing a program like that is because of cost. They have nearly 140Million customers and I have no idea how many of those operate on CDMA for voice. Then look at all the other devices like Alarm systems and such.

I would imagine the cost to provide a free upgrade would be much more than keeping a 1.25MHz channel of 1x running.

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    The problem being those CDMA devices that are not in anybody's hands, but instead are in embedded systems such as safety systems in cars (like GM OnStar), alarm systems, remote equipment controls, etc. These are not devices that users swap out every two years. And low data rate 1xRTT is just fine for them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Very true, but it comes a time where EOL impacts everyone. Ex. Onstar for Verizon is legacy at this point as they switched to AT&T some years ago (a sign perhaps).

If I'm at the helm, I'm erring on the side of aggressive spectrum efficiency. I'd give 6 months notifications followed by 3 months and then goodbye. Chances are, these users aren't your most profitable anyway...

At any rate I'm sure Big Red had guidelines in place for this sort of thing anyway.

Feedback Score
    Well last year there were about 13 million basic phones so at least that many.
    I'm sure there is at least twice that number in smartphones that don't support VoLTE.

They keep it running until end of 2019 selling out their old stock of basic phones until then.

They should stop selling them soon if they don't want people stuck on dpp's paying for paperweights.

Feedback Score
    I needed some GPS tracking dog collars with a remote location history as it turns out everything on the market was dependent on att's 2G network since that shut down that limits those devices to t-mobiles 2G network.

it's been over half a year now since att shut it down there are still no tracking collars on the market that support 3G or 4G or LTE.

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Very true, but it comes a time where EOL impacts everyone. Ex. Onstar for Verizon is legacy at this point as they switched to AT&T some years ago (a sign perhaps).
    I was only using OnStar as an example. The Toyota equivalent, called Safety Connect, uses Verizon. There were some system issues with it recently, and they confirmed that Verizon is their provider. I don't know about Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, etc. They may not pay that much per car, but they are a consistent revenue stream, since there are a lot of cars that use these systems, and they are locked in to the particular provider.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

the data

I don't think I agree with this.
    how often are you seeing 1x!?
    I never see 1x in my market unless I'm in a fringe area of coverage- right before I lose coverage completely.

The data for my claim would be to go to sensorly.com, then zoom out to national level. Select T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT, Verizon and see which has more purple. Sensorly by default maps 4G (which for them is LTE only). If you select 2g-3g you do see a different view, but stick with 4G and have a look.

The sensorly maps are accurate for my home state (oregon), and the western states I travel.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    I was only using OnStar as an example. The Toyota equivalent, called Safety Connect, uses Verizon. There were some system issues with it recently, and they confirmed that Verizon is their provider. I don't know about Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, etc. They may not pay that much per car, but they are a consistent revenue stream, since there are a lot of cars that use these systems, and they are locked in to the particular provider.
    Toyota/Lexus, Mercedes, and Hyundai use Verizon.

Everyone else seems to use AT&T. Ford, GM, Honda, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Tesla...

Fiat-Chrysler uses Sprint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2