Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE Pervasiveness

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score

VoLTE Pervasiveness

Being that VoLTE is so important to CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon how well would you rate their penetration rate or pervasiveness!?

Like do you hardly ever see 1x or is it still appearing more regularly then it should!?

For the level that Verizon cost and their marketing message, I don't think seeing 1x in building and/or in urban areas would be acceptable at all. However, I don't have Verizon so I'd like to know what the masses opinion are!?
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If a Verizon phone is set to LTE (and lets say they even had an LTE-ONLY option), that phone would still have more coverage in more places than any other carrier period.

Separately and related, there are places where a Verizon device will drop to EVDO (technically 3G, but think 2.5G) or 1x (2g) rather than nothing at all. For me personally, leaving LTE on all the time (preferred) works great. When I go camping or the like, I appreciate the option to make and receive basic voice calls and text when nothing else is available.

In fact, for those who prefer it, I would favor a software setting for LTE only, but I do not wish to be forced to use it as only option. I like the areas where my phone works minimally. And I really like the areas where there's no phone service at all.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

VoLTE Pervasiveness

Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    If a Verizon phone is set to LTE (and lets say they even had an LTE-ONLY option), that phone would still have more coverage in more places than any other carrier period. -Dan
    I don't think I agree with this.

It seems that Verizon has some areas covered hyper aggressively (no 1x hardly ever) vs some areas that have a ways to go (1x occasionally shows up).

What some may not realize however, is that if the network is overloaded or if you're indoors that your phone may revert to 1x for voice and ultimately no simultaneous voice and data.

So, is voice or data king, or simultaneous voice and data!? Even the likelihood that it would still be technically possible not to have simultaneous voice and data for me is a no go. However, I realize that is not the case for everyone.

Again though, how often are you seeing 1x!?

Feedback Score
    They actually do have a LTE only phone the "Exalt® LTE"
    The most fringe area I go to that has service has a weak 1X EVDO and LTE signal
    Most phones can't pick up anything anywhere there. My convoy 3 gets a 3G signal both the 3G and 1X drop within feet of each other.
    You have to hunt for a spot with LTE (have to hunt for 3G or 1X too but not quite as hard) but it's well worth it sub 1Mbps vs 12Mbps
    That's the difference between browsing web forums and watching HD netflix and youtube.

The drive there though has many dead spots even in 1X still better than att and tmobile. t-mobile has no service whatsoever after turning the first corner out of town att makes it a couple miles further then also goes no service.
    Checked using a ipad air 2 (t-mobile & att) 6620l and convoy 3 (verizon).

Feedback Score
    It's possible for the cells to shrink due to interference when a lot of users are active but I don't think that's what you are talking about. VoLTE takes priority over data so IIUC a LTE tower should have several times the voice capacity than a 1X.

Voice is king and it remains king on LTE we just have about another 3 years of this mess before it all goes LTE only anyway.
    They may keep the 3G network up longer but I'm thinking that's unlikely and it doesn't handle voice anyway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I don't think I agree with this.

It seems that Verizon has some areas covered hyper aggressively (no 1x hardly ever) vs some areas that have a ways to go (1x occasionally shows up).

What some may not realize however, is that if the network is overloaded or if you're indoors that your phone may revert to 1x for voice and ultimately no simultaneous voice and data.

So, is voice or data king, or simultaneous voice and data!? Even the likelihood that it would still be technically possible not to have simultaneous voice and data for me is a no go. However, I realize that is not the case for everyone.

Again though, how often are you seeing 1x!?
    I hardly ever see 1x or 3G even in the most rural areas. In extreme fringe areas I do see iPhone's fall back to 3G while my Moto Z Droid Force stays on LTE. The few areas my phone would see 1x, my phone would have a usable LTE signal if I forced it to LTE.

Falling back to 1x because of capacity issues is extremely rare and I'm not sure I've ever seen it happen. It would be the same as if T-Mobile fell back to EDGE in regards to simultaneous voice and data.

On the note of capacity, I've been in an extremely crowded and congested environment where data would time out occasionally (football game) yet VoLTE never missed a beat. It appears that they have implemented QOS into VoLTE very well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For the level that Verizon cost and their marketing message, I don't think seeing 1x in building and/or in urban areas would be acceptable at all.
    Verizon's costs are essentially the same as T-Mobile and AT&T. In fact, Verizon may be cheaper for some people. The only carrier competing on price is Sprint at this point. I don't see Verizon as a "high priced" cell carrier anymore as their rates are aligned with market value.

Feedback Score
    For a single line of unlimited with full speed 10GB hotspot and HD video the following costs are before autopay discount (which is $5 for every carrier).
    Verizon is $85/mo for unlimited (taxes and fees not included).
    AT&T is $95/mo for the same unlimited plan as Verizon (taxes and fees not included).
    T-Mobile is $85/mo for the SAME unlimited plan as Verizon (Taxes and fees INCLUDED).
    Sprint is $65/mo for the same unlimited plan as Verizon (taxes and fees not included).
    So Sprint is the cheapest, T-Mobile is second cheapest (only because of taxes and fees), Verizon is next and that leaves AT&T as the most expensive by far.

Feedback Score
    Being that VoLTE is so important to CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon how well would you rate their penetration rate or pervasiveness!?

Like do you hardly ever see 1x or is it still appearing more regularly then it should!?

For the level that Verizon cost and their marketing message, I don't think seeing 1x in building and/or in urban areas would be acceptable at all. However, I don't have Verizon so I'd like to know what the masses opinion are!?
    "1x" is still almost everywhere.

There are still phones that ONLY support that.

All voice calls, unless they are VoLTE, are via CDMA/1x.
    Just because most people don't "see it" - it's still there. It's still handling voice calls in most places. How much is actually "in use" depends on the area.

That said, they are moving much of the spectrum to LTE technology. Their target is 2019. After that, basic / flip-phones will need to be capable of VoLTE in order to call. 1x will still probably exist for a time, but they may start locking out the vast majority of devices from accessing it.

Honestly, it seems a little crazy to NEED a device to do VoLTE for voice.
    It's far more complicated for a device to do this. It will require a device to be at the level of a basic "smartphone" vs. a more "basic" device.

AFIK, there is not a fully integrated chipset at the same "basic" level of a "basic" phone that can do this.
    It seems to require a full OS, a relatively advanced chip/chipset. This is a pretty large "step up" in technology from a basic "digital" phone. Way more going on with the device.

There is supposedly a flip phone (as noted below), but who knows how well it'll work - ESPECIALLY for those who want nothing to do with a "smart phone."

Then there's the matter of TONS of smartphones still out there which cannot do VoLTE. How many people will still have them?
    ...it's also likely that the move will generate a LOT of "e waste" to occur. How much is anyone's guess. Think of all the people still using an older iPhone or Android device. Even MANY relatively recent ones don't do VoLTE. Many of those could / will still be in working order, in people's pockets come 2019. Verizon has much work to do for this transition...

Feedback Score
    The "Exalt® LTE" flip is LTE only so it supports VoLTE
    It's available now there are even a few reviews on the verizon site https://www.verizonwireless.com/basi.../lg-exalt-lte/
    I'll get one when they come down in price unless they come out with one with a flashlight...I like having a flashlight.

Verizon could do a out of band update and add VoLTE support to their older model smart phones but I don't think they will.

Several million devices will have to be replaced and that's if we only include the current feature phone numbers if you include incompatible smart phones that would push it to well over 10 million devices.

Most of them are probably going to be switched out anyway (a large % of people are still getting new phones every 2 years or so) but that's going to be a problem too.
    Even if they upgrade are they going to be informed their phone will quit working in a couple years unless they buy a VoLTE compatible model?
    Verizon currently sells 7 different feature phones only one of which will function after the end of 2019.

I don't know if all of their current smartphones support VoLTE but I would expect not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kansanian View Post
    Verizon has much work to do for this transition...
    Which is my point. I use simultaneous voice and data daily. I would have a fit if my shiny smartphone told me data isn't available while on a call.

Having used VoLTE for nearly 3 years on Magenta, it and HD Voice are two very underrated features.

The CDMA2000 case study continues...

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Which is my point. I use simultaneous voice and data daily. I would have a fit if my shiny smartphone told me data isn't available while on a call.

Having used VoLTE for nearly 3 years on Magenta, it and HD Voice are two very underrated features.

The CDMA2000 case study continues...
    Very subjective on both though. Like, I use VoLTE 100% of the time (I'll even hang up and call someone back if for some reason I lose LTE), and simultaneous voice/data is invaluable when I need to look something up on a call.

But some folks think those are luxuries that they don't need, and if they don't work 100% of the time, they shun it. So I think VZW needs to densify drastically, and I see them forcing VoLTE-capable devices to LTE only once they start decomming CDMA.

Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Feedback Score
    doesn't HD Voice = VoLTE?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    More like VoLTE makes HD possible. They are not one in the same however.

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    doesn't HD Voice = VoLTE?
    More like VoLTE makes HD possible. They are not one in the same however.
    LOL gotta love carrier marketing

VoLTE itself means Voice over LTE. Just because voice calls go over LTE doesn't mean they are all HD. If you make a call and you stay on the LTE network while doing it, and it's not HD, that doesn't change the fact the call was still made over LTE.

Since LTE has increased capacity over legacy tech, HD voice becomes more feasible since it does require a little more bandwidth than full-rate narrowband codecs. I think VoLTE is a necessary advancement and should be as much of a priority as LTE rollouts in general, since it allows carriers to turn down legacy networks in general, and it improves the usage of phone calls over carrier networks.

Edit: by saying I think VoLTE is as much of a priority as LTE itself, I mean the integration and migration of users from legacy voice/data tech to LTE as a minimum level of connectivity, and then 5G.

Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast