Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDMA Needed?

Feedback Score

CDMA Needed?

I found a phone that's GSM but has the necessary LTE bands (2,4,13). Will it work?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    Data should work but I don't know about VoLTE

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 5c / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I don't think so, I tried dropping my Verizon Wireless prepaid SIM into a BB Classic and it dropped to SOS mode and couldn't even get data to work even thought it supports B13. Now, my Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U will work on Verizon Wireless for data so I think Verizon Wireless already has a list of IMEIs it will accept on its network.

I could try getting the BB Passport to work, but I doubt it will work on data...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't think Verizon will let you activate it without CDMA currently

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by enginuity2 View Post
    I found a phone that's GSM but has the necessary LTE bands (2,4,13). Will it work?
    Theoretically the phone would work for data and voLTE but Verizon will not activate the phone unless it is white listed in Verizon's system. In this case, I doubt the phone is white listed or that Verizon would white list it at all if you asked them to.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Theoretically the phone would work for data and voLTE but Verizon will not activate the phone unless it is white listed in Verizon's system. In this case, I doubt the phone is white listed or that Verizon would white list it at all if you asked them to.
    Agreed.

I have a European LG G4 that I attempted to activate on Verizon. They would not allow it to be activated.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    They wouldn't activate it? Did you try just popping an active SIM in it and see what happens?

I'm not sure why anyone bothers with "activation" anymore, just SIM swap and go. It'll either work, or not.

Feedback Score
    Usually people want to activate if their sim is a different size or they don't currently have service with verizon.

I really prefer the sim swapping to having to talk to support about anything though I have extra SIMs and a cutter on hand so I can do most anything I need.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 5c / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Agreed.

I have a European LG G4 that I attempted to activate on Verizon. They would not allow it to be activated.
    It doesn't work like that with Verizon Wireless, you first have to activate a device supported by them and then move the activated SIM into another device. I tried using their IMEI checker for BYOP using the Device ID from an BB Passport a few years ago and they wouldn't take it, the when I activated service with my iPad mini, then yes I can move the active to a different device. Data works in the iPhone 5c and Samsung S8, but the S8 messes up the account manager complaining about an "incompatible SIM card" and not being able display information.

Coming T-Mobile this something I will have to get used to...
    Not having much freedom to move the SIM around without breaking things, giving me errors or just not working at all...

Feedback Score
    Also iphones are oddball they don't like sim's swapped from other brands and it have weird issues if you do.
    Most anything else doesn't care.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't count on it. I threw in an activated Verizon SIM in my OnePlus 5 which supports LTE bands 2 and 4, and I got just 3G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Don't count on it. I threw in an activated Verizon SIM in my OnePlus 5 which supports LTE bands 2 and 4, and I got just 3G.
    I agree. When you throw an active Verizon SIM in a phone that does not have CDMA, Verizon will not activate that phone. I have tried a few times with different phones and I have read about others having the same issue.

Feedback Score
    I've tried using a verizon sim in a att ipad mini it can connect to verizon's network but only for a few seconds before it drops.
    I assumed they didn't like devices without band 13.

However i've seen reports that the ZTE cymbal works on verizon with VoLTE even without band 13 but i'm not sure how.

Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone 7, iPad Pro, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I put in my already active Verizon SIM in a Sony Xperia XZ Premium and got data on all Verizon bands. Obviously VoLTE didn't work but data worked very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Activation on the "phone side," seems so archaic nowadays when you think about it.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast