Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have Verizon GUDP and need phone I can tether/hotspot with.

Feedback Score

Have Verizon GUDP and need phone I can tether/hotspot with.

I need to find phone I can use as hotspot with my old Verizon unlimited data plan. I want to be able to use wifi hotspot and not just usb tether. Any suggestions? I had a jailbroken iPhone 6s but it got kicked into pool. Can't jailbreak new one I don't think right now. Thinking about galaxy s7 with foxfi app if I stay on Ice cream sandwich? I could root android if that would work as well. I just don't know which ones you can do that with. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated for these or any other phones. Thats main reason i keep that plan around.

Feedback Score
    I can't think of a single smart phone sold in the past five years which doesn't have hotspot capability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog1020 View Post
    I need to find phone I can use as hotspot with my old Verizon unlimited data plan. I want to be able to use wifi hotspot and not just usb tether. Any suggestions? I had a jailbroken iPhone 6s but it got kicked into pool. Can't jailbreak new one I don't think right now. Thinking about galaxy s7 with foxfi app if I stay on Ice cream sandwich? I could root android if that would work as well. I just don't know which ones you can do that with. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated for these or any other phones. Thats main reason i keep that plan around.
    Nexus or note 5 🏻🏻🏻

Feedback Score
    The most recent phones that you should be able to reliably tether without provisioning check on are the Pixel (buy from Google), Galaxy S8/S8+ (unlocked or Verizon version flashed to unlocked), Nexus 5X/6P, and I believe all unlocked Moto phones that support Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I have a Note 5, with the latest update they took my hotspot (FoxFi) away. I now have to tether with PdaNet+.

If anyone has a way to use the GUDP as a hotspot I'd like to hear about it also.

Feedback Score
    I just use it in a 6620L with the $15/30 plan but I've heard good things about the moto x pure.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Any Samsung Galaxy running Android 6.0 or lower could use Foxfi or use Galaxy S8 unlocked.

Feedback Score
    thats right but with verizon old unlimited data plan they turn it off so you can't use it for free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan MI View Post
    I have a Note 5, with the latest update they took my hotspot (FoxFi) away. I now have to tether with PdaNet+.

If anyone has a way to use the GUDP as a hotspot I'd like to hear about it also.
    So I did see where you can downgrade from Nougat to Ice cream Sandwich on android i believe at least on samsung phones. Thought about doing that. Then we could use foxfi again.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses guys. I hate it that I am starting to like iPhones again. But I really like them jailbroke. Makes them so much nicer and you can use tethering tweak.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon /
    Feedback Score
    I've been using 2 moto x pure on GUDP with zero issues using native hotspot. It's still a great phone even though it's approaching 2 years old. Pretty sure the new unlocked moto's work the same way. It's nice not having to use FoxFi or some third party app.

Device(s)
    N95-3 with 8G Card
    Carrier(s)
    Been with VZ since 2010, switched from legacy blue(AWE). All about massive coverage + unltd LTE
    Feedback Score
    I know this is an old thread, I wanted to add another phone to the list. I think the problem is the tethering check on most newer Android phones. I know two people with the Pixel, and the problem is that if you aren't signed up for the hotspot extra plan, it will deny you the ability to tether ( though these were bought from Verizon, not Google).

I used a Nexus 6p until it the bootloop issue drove me crazy several months ago, and I found the LG V20 ( LG996 US unbranded version), and it tether's just the same like my 6p. Unfortunately, unless you get a developer version of samsung phones and don't mind putting on a new root/rom, there aren't a lot of choices out there. (Unless you want to sign up for the separate hotspot plan).

bmtvaquero

I can't think of a single smart phone sold in the past five years which doesn't have hotspot capability.
    Phones have been able to tether long before the last few years, long time ago people like myself used to bluetooth tether using minutes over CSD on Voicestream, then Cingular, then AWE ( I think I recall you hanging around HoFo forums long time ago then). Up until several android versions ago, branded handsets wouldn't enforce mobile hotspot plan checks for the carrier. Now, not only this, but with safetynet checks, they are really locking down the handset capabilities. Safety first I suppose. You really have to get an unbranded handset to get by these checks, and handsets in this category are fewer and fewer.
    Last edited by cdeman; 09-30-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: clarity and response about tethering

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can also just pay the $30 and tether on any handset..

Feedback Score
    Yeah. Very true. I am just getting to the point where i am asking myself how much is too much. 200 a month for phone seems very high. Anyone out there think its time to ditch gudp?

Feedback Score
    Entirely depends what you use it for.

For a smartphone 22GB is enough for most people and now you get 15GB of hotspot data on the new plan.

My family can easily get by with 22GB on phones but 15GB hotspot is untenable when we use somewhere around 250GB/mo.

So in short for phone use and occasional hotspot use the new plan is ok but for home internet use no.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast