Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LTE upgrade to make phones obsolete?

Device(s)
    RAZR Maxx running LineageOS 14.1 (Nougat)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

LTE upgrade to make phones obsolete?

I just got an email from VZW saying that I should get a new phone because they would be upgrading my neighborhood, and after the upgrade my current phone would not work faster than 3G. I have a feeling that they want me to jump out the door right now and buy a new phone, but I suspect that the upgrade won't happen for a while. Does this "upgrade" have a name? Has it arrived in your neighborhood yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frizfrelengfan View Post
    I just got an email from VZW saying that I should get a new phone because they would be upgrading my neighborhood, and after the upgrade my current phone would not work faster than 3G. I have a feeling that they want me to jump out the door right now and buy a new phone, but I suspect that the upgrade won't happen for a while. Does this "upgrade" have a name? Has it arrived in your neighborhood yet?
    You don't have an lte capable phone ?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

If you don't have an LTE phone, it never worked faster than 3G...

What kind of phone do you have OP?

Device(s)
    RAZR Maxx running LineageOS 14.1 (Nougat)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's a Motorola Droid Razr, an old phone but it still works well. It is an LTE phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frizfrelengfan View Post
    It's a Motorola Droid Razr, an old phone but it still works well. It is an LTE phone.
    Regardless since it's an old phone why not just get a better phone? I mean you can get one for cheap that's a lot better than that phone.

Feedback Score
    If their notification isn't incorrect, this could be interesting. The Razr only supports B13, and if you can't receive that anymore then it would suggest Verizon is shutting down B13. The only other ideas I have are roaming or LTEiRA agreements. However, I'm not sure if Verizon has B13 roaming agreements, and LTEiRA would only make sense if its a native VZW CDMA region that does not have deployed native-only B13.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Verizon isn't shutting down Band 13. And if the OP's location is correct on his profile, Long Island definitely isn't an LTEIRA area.

Feedback Score
    This all sounds like BS Band 13 is verizon's primary LTE coverage band it's not going away anytime soon.

The next upgrade that's going to break your phone is the end of 2019 2G (1X) shutoff after which you won't be able to make calls as i'm pretty sure the droid razer doesn't do VoLTE.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    A friend got a similar email and he's using a droid mini. It's old but not that old so didn't make sense to me.
    My guess is it's just vz trying to increase phone sales for some customers with non-newer phones since they may be close to upgrading anyways. Maybe a little nudge can influence it. Just guessing though
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    If Verizon is lying to customers about handset compatibility to increase sales, that's fraud. If Verizon is going to artificially cutoff 4G on old devices to force upgrades, that's just an underhanded move.

They're probably going to cut off Band 13-only devices in areas with congestion issues rather than add new cell sites. If Verizon actually cuts anyone off, I'm going to cancel my service. How low.

Feedback Score
    I saw this on Reddit the other day. Maybe more info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...about_network/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xiwong View Post
    If their notification isn't incorrect, this could be interesting. The Razr only supports B13, and if you can't receive that anymore then it would suggest Verizon is shutting down B13. The only other ideas I have are roaming or LTEiRA agreements. However, I'm not sure if Verizon has B13 roaming agreements, and LTEiRA would only make sense if its a native VZW CDMA region that does not have deployed native-only B13.
    Vzw is not shutting down B13. It could be new sites (possible small cells) that only have Bands 4 and or 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Hard to tell at this point. The vz rep told my friend its related to the mm wave spectrum they are getting.

Who knows at this point

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Hard to tell at this point. The vz rep told my friend its related to the mm wave spectrum they are getting.

Who knows at this point
    Any new spectrum that isn't Bands 2,4,5,13 would require a new phone. Even B66 will require that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They have a nationwide license for band 13 unless they are intending to abandon that none of this makes any sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast