Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LTE upgrade to make phones obsolete?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    They have a nationwide license for band 13 unless they are intending to abandon that none of this makes any sense.
    Trust me they are not abanding B13 their coverage would take it hugh lose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7, Apple iPad Pro 9.7, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only explanation that would make sense is that they'll be shutting down 1X in that area, and that their current phone doesn't support VoLTE. Hence the need to upgrade to a newer phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteiKnight View Post
    The only explanation that would make sense is that they'll be shutting down 1X in that area, and that their current phone doesn't support VoLTE. Hence the need to upgrade to a newer phone.
    I think there's a bigger change that they shutdown 3G first. They still need 1X as a back up for now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    RAZR Maxx running LineageOS 14.1 (Nougat)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteiKnight View Post
    But the email didn't say that I would no longer be able to make voice calls after the "upgrade", it only said that my phone would slow down to 3G speeds - that means my data would slow down.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4/5, iPhone 3GS through 5s, tons more
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, VZW, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strathmore9 View Post
    I saw this on Reddit the other day. Maybe more info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...about_network/
    In case anyone else missed this Reddit thread, this is apparently the exact wording from Verizon's email:

We’re committed to improving our network so that we can provide the best service for our customers. Unfortunately, the device(s) associated with the number(s) listed above may not be compatible with next-generation network upgrades. Your data and voice services will still be available for use on these device(s), but only at 3G speeds once the Verizon network is upgraded in your area.
    I haven't received this email myself, so I can't actually confirm it, but this does sound like authentic Verizonese to me, and "voice services will still be available for use on these device(s)" means it's not a 1X shutdown.

Beyond that, it's rather puzzling.

Feedback Score
    @thotguy31
    1X is slated for shutdown at the end of 2019
    3G may go a bit further looking like 2021
    1X is needed for voice on many devices but 3g is not required for data on any device afaik yes 1X is much slower but it would still work.

Feedback Score
    I had a razr Maxx I have since traded in when I got my turbo in 2014. If I remember correctly, the razr and Maxx both had TI chipsets. Maybe the compatibility has something to do with no longer supporting the lte on TI phones.

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @thotguy31
    1X is slated for shutdown at the end of 2019
    3G may go a bit further looking like 2021
    1X is needed for voice on many devices but 3g is not required for data on any device afaik yes 1X is much slower but it would still work.
    I'm assuming you got your statement confused, because if 1X gets shut down, 3G has to go along with that. VZW cannot keep 3G active without 1X as voice doesn't work over EvDo. Which is what I think you meant.

Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chidoro44 View Post
    I had a razr Maxx I have since traded in when I got my turbo in 2014. If I remember correctly, the razr and Maxx both had TI chipsets. Maybe the compatibility has something to do with no longer supporting the lte on TI phones.
    I don't know about *device* compatibility issues with the LTE data network, maybe, but I don't know.

Here's my hypothesis: Verizon may start shutting off LTE access to non-VoLTE devices to force upgrades, in lieu of the legacy network being decommissioned.

Presently, LTE devices authenticate and provision over 1X before they connect to LTE, and since legacy devices are programmed to do that, the upgrades may remove that authentication method. Not sure if that's what's happening, but it'd make sense.

Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A

Feedback Score
    3G could stay active but only for data only devices.

You probably wouldn't want to let phones use it as you could get in a situation where you could get a signal but not call 911.

That doesn't make any sense either the shut off date was announced and should be honored all equipment should continue to function until that date at least.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    You're correct, and that is a possibility. I remember the original Droid Razr and Droid Maxx weren't the best performers on LTE by a long shot.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4/5, iPhone 3GS through 5s, tons more
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, VZW, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    And Motorola's own LTE baseband chip. As did the Droid 4, which is the phone owned by one of the email recipients on the Reddit thread.

If everyone getting this email has a Motorola phone, I think it's likely an incompatibility between Motorola's old baseband chip and new LTE equipment that Verizon will be installing on their towers.

(I was thinking about whether Verizon might be trying to ban all phones below LTE Category 4 from Band 13 in order to possibly reduce congestion, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. That would end up banning all pre-XLTE phones and even some of the earliest VoLTE phones!)

Feedback Score
    Related to this thread: On July 11 I got a text from VZW saying that my phone, a Droid 4, and a few other listed phones, would now only receive 3G, not 4G. I always had perfectly fine internet before that. From that point on I have had NO internet at all, except basic email. I haven't been able to get on the internet even once since then, except for email.

I am only now dealing with it, as I've been dealing with a family crisis. I have the grandfathered UDP which I've been meaning to get off forever, because it's too expensive.

Anyway, VZ only says I have to get a new phone. They have no other info, and they won't do anything about charging me $50 per month for data, when I haven't received any since then----with no warning before then. Yes, I know it's an old phone, but it was working fine. And I need a physical keyboard. WTH VZ??!!

Anyone else have anything like this?? Maybe I need to make a new thread.

Feedback Score
    Maybe a blackberry priv would serve those who want a physical keyboard well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2