Thread: Setting up new iphone please help

Feedback Score

Setting up new iphone please help

We have had tracfone for years and been very happy.

For the last 3 years we have had iphones with no problems.

My son had a 5s that was originally with At&T. He really wanted VZ service, so for his 6s we bought a phone that was purchased from them.

We got the new sim from TF and it seemed to set up ok. He kept his number and can make and receive calls. Unfortunately though, he can't access the internet. It says he has service, and bars, but all he gets is a message that says "couldn't activate cellular data network". I also have a VZ iphone on TF. My sim works fine in his phone. This new sim doesn't work in my phone either.

TF has tried with two sims and the same issue happened both times. They are claiming it is the phone, but when we pop my sim in it is fine. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Well, after two hours on the phone with TF, two sim cards and being told we need to buy a new phone, my son found the answer on page 11 of another HF thread. He had to download a new profile. I really love the price of my TF.. but the service.. ugh..

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
    TF has tried with two sims and the same issue happened both times. They are claiming it is the phone, but when we pop my sim in it is fine. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Glad you got it worked out in the end - can I ask, when you insert your Tracfone SIM into his phone, what does the Carrier show as, and what does his show as? Is it "Verizon" or is it "TFW"?

I used to have the same problem when I had an older SIM in my iPhone - when the SIM said "Verizon", I had to download the profile to get the proper APN settings. My newer SIM says "TFW" when I insert it; I know it's on Verizon because I can see it's using CDMA radios in the diagnostics. But it does not require the APN profile at all. And I've added data to it twice now and it still works.

I have an unconfirmed theory that some of the newer Tracfone Verizon SIMs have an embedded APN profile in them, but I have no way of checking it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    He had to download a new profile.
    I had to do the same with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    He had to download a new profile. I really love the price of my TF.. but the service.. ugh..
    I just spent 2 hours on tracfone chat trying to activate an iphone SE purchased from Tracfone. The lady insisted I use the
    CDMA sim card that came with the phone. After 2 hours I am able to make/receive calls but it also will not connect to the
    internet using cellular data. I want CDMA (verizon) service.

Can I ask for details of "download a new profile"??? The service rep had me do a "Reset Network Settings" and I did
    a "Factory Reset" but these actions did not improve the situation. The phone does show TFW as the carrier. So now
    I face more chat cause she kinda gave up (and I was over it too).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    http://smartphonematters.com/tracfone-apn-settings/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Which profile worked for you? I had this exact problem yesterday. The chat rep gave me numerous profiles to try, none of them worked. I repeatedly suggested another one that I had worked for my other iPhones. Luckily, the one I was familiar with worked.

Feedback Score

Setting up new iphone please help

weiden 1, please look at the thread titled "need instruction activating Total Wireless iPhone SE on Tracfone". I went through this same thing yesterday. Installing a new profile got it to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    I just spent 2 hours on tracfone chat trying to activate an iphone SE purchased from Tracfone. The lady insisted I use the
    CDMA sim card that came with the phone. After 2 hours I am able to make/receive calls but it also will not connect to the
    internet using cellular data. I want CDMA (verizon) service.

Can I ask for details of "download a new profile"??? The service rep had me do a "Reset Network Settings" and I did
    a "Factory Reset" but these actions did not improve the situation. The phone does show TFW as the carrier. So now
    I face more chat cause she kinda gave up (and I was over it too).
    Well, first of all, I am so thankful for this forum. Between the terrible CS at both T-Mobile (they were the worst!) and TF we would have not been able to set up our last 3 phones. It was only from information that we got here that we were able to make things work.

To answer questions: He used this information that he found in another postIt might be worth it to try the other solution listed because that had worked for us once before.

uninstall old APN profile

go to iphone.flexserve.net/select

Select the country (I live in the US)

under APN settings enter 'VZWINTERNET' with NO username or password

Click "generate profile"

Install new profile. Turn off phone, turn back on.

It worked! Wanted to share this solution as the "ivzwentp.tracfone" profile route did not work for me."

His phone says "Tracfone" service. I have been using my 5s for a year or so and mine says "verizon". He is clearly using vz service as he isn't experiencing the problems he had when he was on AT&T.

It was so frustrating that the rep just kept saying "I have done everything. You need to buy a new phone." Why don't they know this stuff?

Good luck everyone! I really appreciate the help.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Well, first of all, I am so thankful for this forum. Between the terrible CS at both T-Mobile (they were
    the worst!) and TF we would have not been able to set up our last 3 phones. It was only from information that we got here that we
    were able to make things work.
    Thank you for your response. I just printed it as I have a file of solutions that I may need in the future. I don't know what happened
    with my no cellular data on the iphone SE but when I turned the phone on today connecting to the internet worked. Of course, I had
    already gone to Tracfones website and checked the IMEI and was told that this phone did not need any update.

So now (by moving around sims from iphone to iphone I have what I want). My main phone is an SE with ATT simcard. My spare
    tracfone is on one of the cheap $49 walmart Straight Talk iphone 5S with a Verizon simcard. Was told by yesterdays Rep that I
    could not move a simcard and would experience simcard problems.

Apparently some of the Straight Talk 5Ss from walmart only fully work with an ATT sim so I was prepared to
    have it as my main number. The 5S I got came with a CDMA sim but I think that kinda means nothing. I only used the new
    tracfone SE to activate the simcard as the phone is meant as a present for my son. The tracfone SE which came with a CDMA
    sim seems to work absolutely great with a BYOP ATT simcard.

Even though we couldn't solve the cellular data issue yesterday the Rep knew a lot more about iphones than I expected. By the
    time she gave up I was done for the day anyway and said I would pursue it further today. And, of course, today I was moving sims
    among 3 iphones without any issues. (however - keeping my fingers crossed on all this). Also - thank goodness for the HOFO blog.

Feedback Score
    The iPhone 5s was not "universal" when it came out. Even though the hardware was the same, there were AT&T versions and Verizon versions.

If you had an AT&T version and managed to get it unlocked, that phone still might not work on Verizon's system if they don't have the IMEI on their whitelist. OTOH you can use a Verizon 5s on AT&T no problem.

I had the problem that AT&T refused to unlock my son's 5s after I put it on TF for a while.