Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google voice to more than 1 number

Feedback Score

Google voice to more than 1 number

I am interestsd in porting a number to google voice and having the number ring on more than 1 number. I believe the setup would be work and home for the number forward from the google number that is ported to google.

I have never used google voice and I have read mixed comments. Texting is unimportant.

Feedback Score
    Is it okay if 1 number is ny cell? I have asked in this forum since several have referenced using google voice instead of the prepaid number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Is it okay if 1 number is ny cell? I have asked in this forum since several have referenced using google voice instead of the prepaid number.
    You can have it forward to multiple numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IIRC there's a max of 5 or 6 numbers that one number will forward to.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    That's its major charm (for a lot of users).
    Last edited by whacker; 07-14-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: inverted letters

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am interestsd in porting a number to google voice and having the number ring on more than 1 number. I believe the setup would be work and home for the number forward from the google number that is ported to google.

I have never used google voice and I have read mixed comments. Texting is unimportant.

You are describing one of the main use cases for a Google Voice number: forwarding to multiple phone numbers, one of which is your cell (carrier) number.

Go for it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, I have paid the fee for the port to Google Voice.

Feedback Score

No problem. You can have up to six numbers associated with the GV number. None, any, or all numbers can be forwarded to and changed quickly with the web OLAM or GV phone app. Works pretty well. I have been using it for ~10 years.

You can set hours and days for the forwarding for each number.

You can press * during an incoming call. It will ring all the other numbers so you can switch to another phone for the call.

Overall it is pretty reliable, but not quite as reliable as a telco line.

Voicmail is where you might run into a problem. GV voicemail answers at 25 seconds. There is no way to change that. If the answering machine or other cell voicemail picks up before 25 seconds, you can get messages scattered around various numbers. Many cell providers do not let us configure the time for their VM to answer.

Feedback Score
    The do not disturb feature on the gv app seems calls directly to GV VM I assume, even if Hangouts is also set to answer calls.

Feedback Score
    I I wonder if you can have one phone for gv forwarded to answer gv calls, but have the Hangouts dialer ring on another, like a tablet that doesn't have voice service?

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I I wonder if you can have one phone for gv forwarded to answer gv calls, but have the Hangouts dialer ring on another, like a tablet that doesn't have voice service?
    You can toggle on/off Hangouts to ring your GV number at the device level.

For example, my main cell phone only rings my GV number on my carrier number but not Hangouts; my backup phone (which does not have an active number) rings my GV via Hangouts. I think this is what you mean?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    You can toggle on/off Hangouts to ring your GV number at the device level.

For example, my main cell phone only rings my GV number on my carrier number but not Hangouts; my backup phone (which does not have an active number) rings my GV via Hangouts. I think this is what you mean?

Yes that's exactly what I was trying to say!

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

That is what it was designed to do from the beginning.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Start by enabling Google Voice/Hangouts iteration. Then, set Hangouts on that device to ring on incoming Google Voice calls.

Feedback Score
    I once dragged out all my Android devices (the ones on 4.0 minimum). I had 5 phones and two tablets. Hangouts rang on all of them when I called my GV number. All were on WiFi and no cell connectivity, except one - my current carry. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how any devices can ring simultaneously through Hangouts. I've read you can forward to as many as six actual phone numbers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast