Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: NIMBYs at work again

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    326
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    NIMBYs at work again

    Those darn NIMBYs ("Not in my backyard!" folks) have prevented Freedom from putting up a tower in Sooke (located on Vancouver Island). Sooke is 38 km west of Victoria, BC.


    Source: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/fr...ception-sooke/


    Main points:

    [...]
    Residents nearby the proposed tower area cited concerns related to health, aesthetics of the tower and property value signs, with a 20-name petition against the application presented to council.

    [...]
    [Sooke] Coun[cillor] Brenda Parkinson said the towers should be in areas further away from people or neighbourhoods, while Coun. Bev Berger added “It be more beneficial for Industry Canada to hear what the residents have to say rather than us.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,447
    Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    I love it;

    "Towers should be further away from people or neighbourhoods"

    Uh, isn't the people the reason why somebody wants to put up a tower?

    Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

    Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

    (I am the Stig!)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    166
    Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The same people are probably pro-wind turbine and pro-solar panel as long as those are not built close by either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    123
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    While they take local input into account, I thought ISED still had the final say on towers?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,447
    Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipberg View Post
    The same people are probably pro-wind turbine and pro-solar panel as long as those are not built close by either.
    Of course they are!

    As long as the dead birds fall on someone else's property.

    Not to mention the VLF noise doing untold nastyness to sleep cycles of the people under them... ( The turbines, not the dead birds... Although there would be overlap)

    Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,447
    Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    While they take local input into account, I thought ISED still had the final say on towers?
    Yes, that's true... For this exact reason...

    Although, it's best if you can get the buy-in from the locals...

    Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,970
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    While they take local input into account, I thought ISED still had the final say on towers?
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post16279864

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post16266823

    also consider..

    Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    It did take a lot longer than 7 years to get the original TDMA/CDMA (Telus/Bell) and GSM (Rogers) networks to become widespread. Right now, the Rogers and Bell/Telus networks have great coverage, but this is almost 40 years after the initial networks were begun. The 3G roll out was fast because of the footprint of the existing network. The 3G rollout consisted of basestation equipment change out. Putting together an entirely new network involves finding sites, writing up/negotiating leases, fighting with community associations, and a lot of other ancillary factors that slow the ability of Freedom/Wind/Shaw to put up towers as quickly as they would like. Rogers and Bell/Telus did this as well, but they took a good 15-20 years to do it. After they had all of their base stations in place (all the other factors that I noted above were already dealt with), changing equipment is easy. In addition, as time had gone on, there are fewer and fewer community associations that are willing to accept new cell towers, which slows things down further.

    in the first 7 years of the Rogers and Bell/Telus networks, coverage outside of the biggest cities (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver) was pretty much non-existent. Even within cities, it was really spotty in come sections of the cities. So the 7 years is a short time, when you are speaking about the lifecycle of an entire network.
    And while the CRTC expects tower sharing by incumbents, it's surprising how many RBT sites simply have no more room..
    Last edited by pjw918; 07-14-2017 at 03:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    While they take local input into account, I thought ISED still had the final say on towers?
    In the U.S. federal law prohibits local authorities from considering radiation from properly operated cell sites. The tinfoil hat brigade can yammer all they want about it, but the local authorities are not supposed to consider it. The cellco lawyers are quick to point this out at every point of the approval process. Don't know how that works in Canada.

    Of course a voting approval authority can be swayed by the radiation (non)issue, but just never mention it as a reason for disapproval.

    I have not heard much about the wind turbine "bird and bat shredding" issue recently. Is it really a problem or just over hyped by wingnut tree huggers? Cars smush a lot of squirrels, rabbits, cats, dogs, deer, possum, and skunks around here. I haven't heard of anyone calling to ban cars or limit them to 5 MPH.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,356
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think NIMBY's are mislabelled: they are more like NIMYY's.

    They harass people and file frivolous lawsuits not to keep stuff out of their own back yards, but out of others' back yards. They are megalomaniacs who think that they have the right to micro-manage your private property out of nothing but a presumption of arrogance and proximity.

    The Sooke tower in this item is the business of the carrier, and the landowner the tower will be located on. It's none of anyone else's business.

    I strongly favor counter-suits, fines, SLAPP, and criminal prosecution, whatever it takes to stop this. Your right to dictate tower placement ends at your property line, thank you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,447
    Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    In the U.S. federal law prohibits local authorities from considering radiation from properly operated cell sites. The tinfoil hat brigade can yammer all they want about it, but the local authorities are not supposed to consider it. The cellco lawyers are quick to point this out at every point of the approval process. Don't know how that works in Canada.

    Of course a voting approval authority can be swayed by the radiation (non)issue, but just never mention it as a reason for disapproval.

    I have not heard much about the wind turbine "bird and bat shredding" issue recently. Is it really a problem or just over hyped by wingnut tree huggers? Cars smush a lot of squirrels, rabbits, cats, dogs, deer, possum, and skunks around here. I haven't heard of anyone calling to ban cars or limit them to 5 MPH.
    Radio towers are the purvey of the Federal government, so the local authorities can only voice opinions.

    Wing nut tree huggers wouldn't be driving their Smart ED above 30mph anyways so all of the little critters could run out of the way.

    The turbines don't really shred the flying critters, moreso they just bonk them on the head causing paralysis and death...

    I agree that many birds and such get whacked on the big roads and it is just a fact of 'Progress'.

    But this thread is about the hypocrisy of some people who within the same car ride will complain about cell reception and how there are too many cell towers...

    Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Radio towers are the purvey of the Federal government, so the local authorities can only voice opinions.
    I'm pretty sure local authorities can exercise approval/denial of cell towers and many other things on zoning issues.

    Wing nut tree huggers wouldn't be driving their Smart ED above 30mph anyways so all of the little critters could run out of the way....
    Haha, yeah. Limousine liberals without the limousine.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,356
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ......I have not heard much about the wind turbine "bird and bat shredding" issue recently..
    Sounds like the sort of device someone would have purchased at the Joker's garage sale.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    22
    Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    A 20 name petition? LOL
    How about they get a counter petition of who does want it, and see how 20 stacks up against 200/2000/20000/x?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,447
    Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I'm pretty sure local authorities can exercise approval/denial of cell towers and many other things on zoning issues.



    Haha, yeah. Limousine liberals without the limousine.
    As of 2008, the Feds trump the local, or provincial governments...

    "There are many provincial and local requirements such as municipal zoning bylaws that relate only incidentally to radiocommunication and are outside the purview of federal law. That being said, radiocommunication is a field exclusively within the legislative competence of the federal government. Therefore, matters that affect the establishment of federally authorized radio stations are clearly governed by the*Radiocommunication Act*and the policies thereunder."

    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf08788.html

    The Limosine Liberal is more prone to large urban centres and while they will venture out to the 'country', it will only be as far as they can go without getting their Birkenstocks muddy...

    Speaking of 'Birkies', what's the deal with socks and Birkies? Gee Whiz! They're sandals!
    If your feet are cold, wear SHOES!

    Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    As of 2008, the Feds trump the local, or provincial governments...

    "There are many provincial and local requirements such as municipal zoning bylaws that relate only incidentally to radiocommunication and are outside the purview of federal law. That being said, radiocommunication is a field exclusively within the legislative competence of the federal government. Therefore, matters that affect the establishment of federally authorized radio stations are clearly governed by the*Radiocommunication Act*and the policies thereunder."

    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf08788.html
    Ok, things are different in Canada. In the US local authorities exercise great authority when it comes to the appropriateness of any building or facility project as a zoning matter. The feds get involved with height above average terrain and radio communications issues.

    The Limosine Liberal is more prone to large urban centres and while they will venture out to the 'country', it will only be as far as they can go without getting their Birkenstocks muddy...

    Speaking of 'Birkies', what's the deal with socks and Birkies? Gee Whiz! They're sandals!
    If your feet are cold, wear SHOES!
    I wear ankle socks with my sandals. They actually keep my feet cooler than bare sandals. I do understand that it is a fashion faux pas, but for a trip to Walmart I don't stick out too bad. ;~>

Similar Threads

  1. Nimby's At Work in Pasadena, CA
    By @TheRealDanny in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
  2. Nimby's At Work in Manville, NJ / T-Mobile Sues
    By @TheRealDanny in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 12:47 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. The NIMBYs are at it again
    By CarlGalgano in forum Sprint
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
  5. bored at work again
    By WoNGsTeR in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2002, 11:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks