Thread: Public Mobile Just Morphed into Chatr/Freedom

Feedback Score

Public Mobile Just Morphed into Chatr/Freedom

Their new plan offerings include differentiating between 3G and LTE data. Moreover, a 6 gig 3G data plan over 90 days cost more than 6 gig of LTE data at the previous regular price. Add on top of that a wonky self server portal and no 1-800 service, the end is nigh for Public Mobile.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Zoomer is the better option right now. When Freedom gets their 700 MHz spectrum running, they will probably be a much better option as well (assuming you live in one of the coverage zones). I think they need to change their motto of "LESS for LE$$" to "MORE$$ for LESS". Even Fido has cheaper plans than PM now, and the free 5 hours of data with Fido is icing on the cake.

For $65/month (regular price, not a promo), Fido is offering:
    3 GB of LTE data with free spotify, 5 hours of unlimited data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, name/call display, unlimited global video messaging, Fido extended roaming coverage, and voicemail + retail locations + customer service by phone/social media/live chat.

For $65/month, PM is offering:
    2 GB of LTE data, unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text, voicemail, caller display. + customer service by forum only
    Last edited by phoneseeker101; 07-14-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    *3G plans are throttled to 2.5 Mbps

3G Rate Plans:

• Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $126/90 days [$42/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
    • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $141/90 days [$47/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
    • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of 3G data is $141/90 days [$47/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
    • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of 3G data is $156/90 days [$52/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).
    • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of 3G data is $156/90 days [$52/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).
    • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of 3G data is $171/90 days [$57/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).

LTE Rate Plans:

• Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of LTE data is $150/90 days [$50/month].
    • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $165/90 days [$55/month].
    • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $180/90 days [$60/month].
    • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $195/90 days [$65/month].
    • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $225/90 days [$75/month].
    • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $240/90 days [$80/month].
    Last edited by phoneseeker101; 07-14-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Public Mobile Just Morphed into Chatr/Freedom
    Not at all. Public is unique in having a rate card with separate price tiers for 3G & LTE.

So we can compare apples-to-apples:
    (and not everyone wants the 90 day pay-in-advance exposure)
    30 day, Canada-wide unlimited minutes, unltd. txt, 2GB data -

Public 3G - $57
    Chatr - $45 ($40 autopay)

Public LTE - $70
    Freedom - $40

In one fell swoop, Telus has demolished the value brand image of Public Mobile.
    Creative pricing seems to be their forte.
    (witness their $100/GB overage after first GB @$50)

The 3G bandwidth cap at 2.5mbps just adds insult to injury.

--
    Public 2GB 3G
    Public 2GB LTE
    Last edited by pjw918; 07-14-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Chatr's $45 for 2GB, $40 with autopay; screenshots

Feedback Score
    I like the idea of giving customers the option of paying less for slower data. Not everyone needs LTE speeds, so why should everyone be forced to pay for it? 3G is enough for my needs and to me a higher monthly cap is much more important than speed. However at these prices I don't see the point, I may as well pay slightly more for LTE. They need to price the 3G plans more aggressively. If I could get 3G data for half the cost of LTE data then that would be worth it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    How is it you sound exactly like Mr Peppermint...?

lmao
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    He doesn't, really. Mr Greenleaf is making sense ;p

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenleaf View Post
    I like the idea of giving customers the option of paying less for slower data. Not everyone needs LTE speeds, so why should everyone be forced to pay for it? 3G is enough for my needs and to me a higher monthly cap is much more important than speed... If I could get 3G data for half the cost of LTE data then that would be worth it.
    What doesn't make sense is Telus using speed differentiation to poorly camouflage price hikes on the standard Public offerings, instead of discounting throttled bandwidth. They could have been innovative, instead they are just being exploitive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenleaf View Post
    I like the idea of giving customers the option of paying less for slower data. Not everyone needs LTE speeds, so why should everyone be forced to pay for it? 3G is enough for my needs and to me a higher monthly cap is much more important than speed. However at these prices I don't see the point, I may as well pay slightly more for LTE. They need to price the 3G plans more aggressively. If I could get 3G data for half the cost of LTE data then that would be worth it.
    I guess you must work for the carriers or are heavily invested in their shares. I don't like the idea of a 50% price increase disguised as an expanded offering. This coolaid is very bitter, not drinking any of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums