Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Switching From Monthly to Yearly Plans ?

Feedback Score

Switching From Monthly to Yearly Plans ?

I'm starting out with a new basic/dumb phone and would like to first try it out before committing to a year plan.

If I were to start off when I get the phone with the '$9.99 30 MINUTE 30 SERVICE DAYS' plan for the first month of usage to test it out, and then after the 30 days switch to a Year Plan. Would that pose any problems ?

Would I be locking myself to monthly service by starting with a 30 day card ?

And at the end of that first month when I then add a year card/plan will it then pick up from that point for the 356 days ?

Just very reluctant to tinker with things as I've heard CS is not the best.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can use whatever options you want. The plan you were considering should work without issue. Tracfone doesn't work like most monthly plans, since Tracfone services rollover when there are service days remaining on an account. If you decide that the service is fine, you can just buy the year plan any time in the first 30 days and the additional year will simply stack onto the end of your initial 30 days and extend the service end date. The other services will also simply add onto your current account balance. Here is their FAQ regarding how the service works, and the "How many days of service..." question has to do with being able to add additional services earlier than the end of service date.
    https://www.tracfone.com/faqs/gettin...D_AIRTIME_CARD

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Not to worry. There is no 'locking in'. And there is no different plan, only the 'terms' of what the current refill type you're operating under are in place. The card you'll initially load gives X number of minutes with 30 days of service. By the time that time period expires you will decide how to proceed, and whatever the refill type you add you'll replenish the contents of your account accordingly. The Service Days stack sequencially, and the bucket amounts (minutes, texts, data) simply add into whatever's existing.

Feedback Score
    There are no "plans"! Just buy minutes and days.

You can sign up for automatic purchases of refill cards but that is a pain when it doesn't work.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When you run out of minutes, nothing happens other than you can no longer use that function.
    When you run out of days, the phone de-activates. Verizon is notorious for then grabbing the phone number rather quickly to recycle to a new Customer. So always keep track of the Service end date.

Your dumbphone will have just one communal bucket. Out of it talk, text and data will be deducted..
    Smartphones have three independent buckets, talk/text/data, partitioned by Tracfone to never spill over into another..

If your parents unknowingly activate the browser, the airtime will be gone rather quickly.
    Accidental usage is easer to control on a Smartphone.

Feedback Score
    As others said basically, no problem and no locks doing what you propose. Go for it. You should get 60 or 90 minutes, depending on the phone you picked.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWird View Post
    I'm starting out with a new basic/dumb phone and would like to first try it out before committing to a year plan.

If I were to start off when I get the phone with the '$9.99 30 MINUTE 30 SERVICE DAYS' plan for the first month of usage to test it out, and then after the 30 days switch to a Year Plan. Would that pose any problems ?

Would I be locking myself to monthly service by starting with a 30 day card ?

And at the end of that first month when I then add a year card/plan will it then pick up from that point for the 356 days ?

Just very reluctant to tinker with things as I've heard CS is not the best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If your parents unknowingly activate the browser, the airtime will be gone rather quickly.
    Just turning the browser on will not use much data. You have to be doing something like searches and viewing web pages. Before the 3G phones you got charged by the amount of time connected, but now it is by the amount of data used. Think there is a connect charge and an MMS charge. There are Parameter codes to see what the rates are...used to vary by phone model.

Also, a flip phone is unlikely to accidentally turn on the browser if closed.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 07-14-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    There are no "plans"! Just buy minutes and days.

HoFo mobile app
    This! I wish everyone would stop using the word plan. I know TF is, but don't go along with it.

Feedback Score
    Website says plan, SIM packages say plan, and my plan is to go with the flow. AT&T and Verizon advertise as prepaid plans too.

Look up the definition of plan. TracFone has no-contract prepaid plans. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    This! I wish everyone would stop using the word plan. I know TF is, but don't go along with it.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Just turning the browser on will not use much data. You have to be doing something like searches and viewing web pages. Before the 3G phones you got charged by the amount of time connected, but now it is by the amount of data used. Think there is a connect charge and an MMS charge. There are Parameter codes to see what the rates are...used to vary by phone model.

Also, a flip phone is unlikely to accidentally turn on the browser if closed.
    I agree, on a true dumb phone there may not even be a browser at all. Even in a feature phone with a browser it is unlikely someone would open it and use it accidentally. On my previous feature phone it would make a sound every few seconds as data was being used. On the other hand both my SIL and my husband have accidentally run down their data buckets in their smartphones by accidentally having data turned on when wifi wasn't connected properly. Both have been using smartphones on TracFone for two years with hardly any data usage and it was an unintentional error in both cases. Plus on a dumb phone or feature phone it is very easy to see service days and minutes left, it is right on your screen by default. No app needed.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the responses.

As to the browser issue, it seems the TracFone LG L238C does have a browser of some sort. As the phone is for elderly parents who have no interest in the internet would it be possible to either remove it or permanently disable it ?

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately not. If they just bring up the browser and don't actually use it, data consumption should be minimal.

Thank you for all the responses.

As to the browser issue, it seems the TracFone LG L238C does have a browser of some sort. As the phone is for elderly parents who have no interest in the internet would it be possible to either remove it or permanently disable it ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Unfortunately not. If they just bring up the browser and don't actually use it, data consumption should be minimal.

I was going to ask that since I was just buying them minutes to 'talk' if there is no data on their account what would happen ?

But.... I looked and realized that the plans said 'for talk, text & web'. How exactly does this work ? Is it just one big bucket that all three are drawn from ?

That and Web is usually denoted in GB Data not Minutes (?) so how do they calculate usage ?

I think I'll have to superglue the browser button....

Also the cards say '30 min card' but then below it says '2X airtime.... 60 mins' . If I have a DM phone what exactly am I getting 30, 60 or 120 mins ? Sorry, still don't get that.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  31.0 KB

Feedback Score
    I was going to ask that since I was just buying them minutes to 'talk' if there is no data on their account what would happen ?

But.... I looked and realized that the plans said 'for talk, text & web'. How exactly does this work ? Is it just one big bucket that all three are drawn from ?

That and Web is usually denoted in GB Data not Minutes (?) so how do they calculate usage ?

I think I'll have to superglue the browser button....

Also the cards say '30 min card' but then below it says '2X airtime.... 60 mins' . If I have a DM phone what exactly am I getting 30, 60 or 120 mins ? Sorry, still don't get that.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  31.0 KB
    If you buy a 30-minute card, you will get 60 minutes talk, 60 text messages, 60 Mb of data and 30 days of service time on a Double Minute phone. Yo probably don't need to worry about them using data inadvertently.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tutorials and user guide for the LG L238C

http://tracfone.devicebits.com/tracf...C&locale=en_us

On a Dumbphone talk/text/data are all removed from the single airtime bucket at their individual rates.
    The rates are indicated in each phones Parameters. Rates can vary between models.
    Talk time is removed in whole minutes, a 5 second call removes a full minute. Make 60 5 second calls and the whole 60 minutes are gone and they cannot talk, text or use data, but the phone stays activated (waiting for more airtime to be added) until the days run out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast