Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you're using a hotspot as your home internet...

Feedback Score

If you're using a hotspot as your home internet...

What's the most data you've used in a billing cycle? We've had a Unite Explore since March, and use between 250-350gb each month. That's Netflix, Hulu, YouTube on a couple tvs/tablets, and the kids Xbox for gaming occasionally.

Just curious where you all stand! We're a family of 5, our other 4 devices use around 150gb separate from the hotspot, so we're around 500gb total. I've noticed no deprioritzation at home.

What say you?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Family of 4 with combined usage average of about 4-500 gb. We've not seen any real signs of lower priority.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Using a Unite Pro for 8 users at my workplace (since wifi there is completely locked down). We use on average 100-150 GB a month. There's never been any deprioritization but the hotspot frequently drops to band 12 and locks on that until you restart it. Band 12 is still too congested and it's typically about 5 Mbps download speeds. When you restart it will go back to band 30 and typical speeds of 20-40 Mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    What's the most data you've used in a billing cycle? We've had a Unite Explore since March, and use between 250-350gb each month. That's Netflix, Hulu, YouTube on a couple tvs/tablets, and the kids Xbox for gaming occasionally.

Just curious where you all stand! We're a family of 5, our other 4 devices use around 150gb separate from the hotspot, so we're around 500gb total. I've noticed no deprioritzation at home.

What say you?
    At home with just me using it, I have just started testing using a hotspot for home Internet. I have used 1.2 GB in 11 days. That would be ~3.6 GB a month. I am using it for everything except for video streaming for now. Video streaming works, but I don't want to start using that yet.

I know my usage pattern with cable Internet. I have been using 60-70 GB a month. That is mostly video streaming with a Roku for an hour or so a night when I am going to sleep. Web browsing and email don't use much. The video I stream is mostly PBS which is in HD. Before that I had Netflix and had it set to medium resolution. With that Netflix streaming my use was 25-35 GB a month. HD makes a big difference.

I'm hoping I can "fly under the RADAR" using 60-70 GB a month on the hotspot and cancel the cable Internet for a net savings of $30 a month.

I am only getting ~2 Mbps from the hotspot. I'm not sure if that will stream HD. 2 Mbps is actually perfectly adequate for web and forum browsing, and email. I don't notice any difference from my 15 Mbps cable Internet.

The cell I am on is in a moderately rural area. I am unlikely to be deprioritized at 11 pm.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    500gb a month

Feedback Score
    I'm not using my unite explore as my primary internet at home but I use it as my only internet at my camper where we spend every weekend. I average between 30 - 50 gigs a month mostly streaming, get a steady 7 Mbps speed. Have not noticed any slow down yet.

Sent from my LG-H900 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Avg 100GB mo
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    100-250 GB a month using a Unite Explore that is passing the IP address through to my linksys router.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    100-250 GB a month using a Unite Explore that is passing the IP address through to my linksys router.
    Does that save on data? I haven't found any reason to have a router, our house isn't that big and it works everywhere upstairs, we just take it to the basement when necessary. I've seen other posts of people using routers, I just don't know why! (Forgive me if that's dumb..I really am not all that techy. Just want decent home internet &#128512

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Does that save on data? I haven't found any reason to have a router, our house isn't that big and it works everywhere upstairs, we just take it to the basement when necessary. I've seen other posts of people using routers, I just don't know why! (Forgive me if that's dumb..I really am not all that techy. Just want decent home internet &#128512
    100gb through a router wan port or out the Explore is the same. Maybe if I connect to my VPN server with compression on I will save some. It's just easier for me, takes some of the workload of the explore and gives me better wifi coverage.

If you are happy with your wifi coverage, don't worry about it. Not really sure an explore can handle years of doing 24/7 wifi, routing and charging duties. It's just a lot heat in a small package. I figure turning off the wifi takes a big load off.

Feedback Score

If You're Using A Hotspot As Your Home Internet...

I am still dragging my feet or switching over completely, so this is encouraging!

Feedback Score
    Hotspots usually only allow a few Wifi devices to connect, like 5 at a time for a Mobley. A router will allow a couple of hundred - not that I need that many. With a few phones, tablets, notebooks, a Roku and a smart TV, five isn't enough without having to go around and disconnect things that are idling to use the device I want.

The Wifi range of hotspots frequently isn't as good as a real router. My hotspot is in a window at one end of the house where it gets has to be to get signal. The Wifi is weak at the other end of the house. I have not even tried it in the basement.

I just use an old router configured as a repeater bridge in the middle of the house. It takes the Wifi from the hotspot and distributes it better, and removes the max connections of the hotspot. It's easy to configure and doesn't require any changes on the hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I am still dragging my feet or switching over completely, so this is encouraging!
    It's better than a sharp stick in the eye, but no where near as reliable (for me) as cable Internet. Mine will run for hours or days without needing to be restarted. With the law of the perversity of nature, it usually craps out at the most inconvenient time.

I had hoped to turn off cable Internet and save $30 (net) a month, but it is not reliable enough to run my Obi for home phone service or my Ring doorbell.

I really bought it for travel anyway.

Feedback Score
    Been on the Mobley plan since moving to Florida in March 2017; zero regrets with a $20 price point (we've yet to sign up for a line-based ISP), clocking up anywhere from 300 to 800GB each month. Great little device and amazing data plan we can up and move to anywhere we want (service point withstanding).
    If they drop it, so be it; we've saved that much over the past months. Until such a point requires a change, we'll stay put on this killer deal.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all! Very helpful. I do worry about the Unite Explore..I just keep it plugged in at all times unless we move it around, maybe getting a router would help take some of that workload off. We regularly have 5ish devices connected to it without issues, but have had upwards of 10 when the kids have friends over. Really since March, I've only had 2-3 times where my service has maybe been depriortized. I'm very happy with this, I'm sure it's nowhere as good as cable but I know it's as good as the ISPs and DSL around here--none of which we can get. So I hope they keep this plan for me for a long time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast