Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Chairman Seeks Investments From Buffett, Malone

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The biggest problem I see with sprint. No matter how much money someone puts into them I would still be hesitant to do business with them. Free service that's a different story but unless they change a lot no way i would pay good money for them

Had too many problems in the past.
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I suspect, in a general sort of way, that the reason that Sprint is seeking investment this way is that, after a quick look at Sprint's books, T-Mobile ran away and hid in the bathroom.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The only way I see tmobile doing a deal with sprint is if it's a great price due to all the baggage. Luckily T-Mobile was smart enough to at least temporarily walk away and not jump right into a deal. Sprint is desperate right now so whoever deals with them should have some leverage to make it worthwhile

Feedback Score
    If Buffet invests in Sprint their stock will skyrocket. Sprint will be on it's toes with a prominent investor and shareholder. I welcome this investment by Buffet and Malone.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I suspect, in a general sort of way, that the reason that Sprint is seeking investment this way is that, after a quick look at Sprint's books, T-Mobile ran away and hid in the bathroom.
    ... or laughed and drank their laughs away at the fortunes reversing for them in just a few short years. Warren B is pretty shrewd for investments and short of him owning Sprint at a fire sale price, little chance he is going to simply dump money into the Sprint black hole. Given Sprints merry go round from TMobile to Comcast to Charter to now BH, it would seem no one is willing to dance with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thxdude21 View Post
    ... or laughed and drank their laughs away at the fortunes reversing for them in just a few short years. Warren B is pretty shrewd for investments and short of him owning Sprint at a fire sale price, little chance he is going to simply dump money into the Sprint black hole. Given Sprints merry go round from TMobile to Comcast to Charter to now BH, it would seem no one is willing to dance with them.
    That's the part that's really shocking to me; and a bit enlightening. They could do a deal tomorrow of course but the fact that all these merger talks have led to nothing is pretty revealing. On its face, merger makes a LOT of sense for Sprint. They really need someone to come in with deep pockets and a sellable brand name because I think the name "Sprint" is irreparably damaged. Someone will eventually gobble them up but I agree that it'll likely be a fire sale price at that point.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    The Sprint name is indeed toxic...
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Feedback Score
    Money alone won't fix the problem. If the investment happens, they still use it in the right way; they need better management (from the top in and the stores); they need to execute better and faster and they need a name change, because perception matters, and right now, the Sprint name is toxic. I am all for Sprint staying in the game, because competition is better for the consumer, but they need to actually be a force.

Feedback Score
    I visualize the Sprint-T-Mo discussions lead to T-Mo saying (maybe politely) that Sprint has little value to T-Mo and Sprint being insulted and going to hide in the bathroom. ;~>

Anyway, it is reported that Son met with Buffet and Malone separately at an annual gathering of CEOs in Sun Valley at Son's request. It's not like Buffet and Malone sought out Sprint as an interesting investment prospect. Where the report that Buffet is considering investing 10-20 Bn came from is unclear.

Blindly dumping 10-20 Bn into the existing Sprint organization probably isn't going to fix Sprint. I don't see Buffet doing that.

Where is Sprint now? They are deeply in debt and haven't made a yearly profit since 2006. Their network has big gaping holes and only capital funds to improve that at a glacial pace. Last year they offered service for half price. This year they are giving it away for just the cost of the taxes. It's kind of like trying to get rid of a CRT TV at Goodwill. They don't want (and won't take) that junk. Analysts do not see a profitable year anywhere in Sprint's future.

They persist in calling themselves a nationwide network when they are not. They advertise themselves and act like they are a premium service comparable to Verizon. That is laughable. Sprint needs to go "Uncarrier" in a big way with a complete management and organization overhaul to have any chance to continue as a competitive fourth big carrier.

I like Sprint and hope they succeed. That would be good for all of us to keep competitive pressure on the other three.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I visualize the Sprint-T-Mo discussions lead to T-Mo saying (maybe politely) that Sprint has little value to T-Mo and Sprint being insulted and going to hide in the bathroom. ;~>.....
    Either works for me. This issue is Sprint's debt burden. It may end up with Sprint "taking a bath."

Feedback Score
    I don't see a T-Mobile/Sprint deal happening because TMO will ask for a break-up fee (cash or spectrum) Sprint can't afford to pay. There is no guarantee this administration will approve a merger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I don't see a T-Mobile/Sprint deal happening because TMO will ask for a break-up fee (cash or spectrum) Sprint can't afford to pay. There is no guarantee this administration will approve a merger.
    If that merger would have happened it would be TMOBILE buying Sprint and, if it failed then Sprint would get the break up fee. People judge Sprint while Forgetting TMobile has at&t to thank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    (and with no real data to back this up) - have a friend Kansas native who claims Sprint has a history of being "creative with their books."
    If they do engage in dishonest practices, no amount of money will save them. Hopefully, my friend is wrong. It could explain why prior attempts have failed...
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    (and with no real data to back this up) - have a friend Kansas native who claims Sprint has a history of being "creative with their books."
    If they do engage in dishonest practices, no amount of money will save them. Hopefully, my friend is wrong. It could explain why prior attempts have failed...
    This is pretty well known for those that follow Sprint and their earnings calls. Things like selling and leasing back their spectrum to handset financing offloading are just the tip of the iceberg for Sprint.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Agreed. With $41 billion in debt maturing over the next 3 years Sprint is cash strapped beyond belief. Sprint NEEDS a huge cash infusion to either pay down debt or spark 2.5GHz buildouts.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast