Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Chairman Seeks Investments From Buffett, Malone

Feedback Score

Sprint Chairman Seeks Investments From Buffett, Malone

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ne-wsj-reports

Just heard this on Fox Business. This is an interesting development. Warren Buffet considering investing 10-20 billiion in Sprint plus more from Malone. This could turn Sprint around which would be a good thing.

Buffet does not invest in lost causes with slim chances of recovery. If he thinks he can get Sprint to make money for him there is a good chance it will work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ne-wsj-reports

Just heard this on Fox Business. This is an interesting development. Warren Buffet considering investing 10-20 billiion in Sprint plus more from Malone. This could turn Sprint around which would be a good thing.

Buffet does not invest in lost causes with slim chances of recovery. If he thinks he can get Sprint to make money for him there is a good chance it will work.
    Money is what Sprint needs. They have the spectrum resources to be a truly Nationwide carrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Money is what Sprint needs. They have the spectrum resources to be a truly Nationwide carrier.

Absolutely! They also need a drastic organizational overhaul. The current management and organization has been leading Sprint to bankruptcy for over ten years.

I don't think 10-20 billion will give Buffet control of the BOD, but they would have to be extremely stupid to ignore his advice. His investment would probably be contingent on some major changes at Sprint.

He may also be planning this to get the value of Sprint up to where it could merge with a good profit.

If Buffet passes on investing in Sprint, they are likely doomed to a merger with something at a fire sale price.

Buffet bought our local dead-tree-fish-wrapper newspaper and turned it around. I hope he can do the same with Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely! They also need a drastic organizational overhaul. The current management and organization has been leading Sprint to bankruptcy for over ten years.

I don't think 10-20 billion will give Buffet control of the BOD, but they would have to be extremely stupid to ignore his advice. His investment would probably be contingent on some major changes at Sprint.

He may also be planning this to get the value of Sprint up to where it could merge with a good profit.

If Buffet passes on investing in Sprint, they are likely doomed to a merger with something at a fire sale price.

Buffet bought our local dead-tree-fish-wrapper newspaper and turned it around. I hope he can do the same with Sprint.
    The current Management has only been with the company for 3 years or so. So that's not completely fair. It's the management before Marcelo and, they will given a mess that is hard to get out of.

Feedback Score
    The current Management has only been with the company for 3 years or so. So that's not completely fair. It's the management before Marcelo and, they will given a mess that is hard to get out of.

Ok, Marcelo may be doing a good job with the scarce resources he has. Sprint service has been improving in the past few years with their limited capex. I'm still betting on major management and organizational changes if Buffet invests. Marcelo was effectively going to be sidelined or out if Sprint merged into T-Mo.

Feedback Score
    Ok, Marcelo may be doing a good job with the scarce resources he has. Sprint service has been improving in the past few years with their limited capex. I'm still betting on major management and organizational changes if Buffet invests. Marcelo was effectively going to be sidelined or out if Sprint merged into T-Mo.
    Agreed. If it wasn't for marclo I don't think we have seen the reframe of pcs spectrum and the spectrum swaps they have been apart of. Thanks to that they now have 15x15 B25 in parts of Florida.

Feedback Score
    I hope Buffet does invest and make Sprint stronger. It would be great to have 4 competitive carriers. Where Sprint is right now on the network and price side, I see them as more of a competitor to MVNO's (including some that utilize Sprint's network) than I do to the Big 3.

Feedback Score
    Sprint could easily become the nations largest wholesale network selling service to Big Cable, Google, Amazon, Apple, Dish, etc..

They have massive capacity just waiting to be turned into something.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Sprint could easily become the nations largest wholesale network selling service to Big Cable, Google, Amazon, Apple, Dish, etc..

They have massive capacity just waiting to be turned into something.
    The wholesale-only network model has never worked in practice. The profit's on the retail end.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Public perception is sprints worst enemy, from there questionable billing practices, to it's spotty LTE, and bad management. 10-20 bil investment sounds good, but sprint will likely mismanage ala/tidal, direct to you, and pointless retail openings

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by damu741101 View Post
    Public perception is sprints worst enemy, from there questionable billing practices, to it's spotty LTE, and bad management. 10-20 bil investment sounds good, but sprint will likely mismanage ala/tidal, direct to you, and pointless retail openings

Every company has questionable billing practices. Direct to you was gone along time ago

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Ok so if they invest one of two things needs to happen: if they keep the Sprint name Marcelo needs to go, and possibly a buyout clause for Son, neither of these guys has really done anything for Sprint.

Or

Change the name and the current management can stay in place. There would be enough goodwill from this, to survive any bafoonery @ the senior management level.

I need Sprint to survive to keep the other carriers honest, so PLEASE let this workout!!!
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Interesting to see Malone's name mentioned since he (Liberty Media) owns about 30% of Charter Communications and he already own 1% of Sprint through another Liberty company. Maybe he knows that Charter & Comcast will also invest as part of their wholesale talks with Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Every company has questionable billing practices. Direct to you was gone along time ago

That's true, but sprint is notorious for screwing up your bill, and direct to you was just an example of some of the stupid business decisions that sprint has made, not to mention the whole radio shack debacle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Interesting to see Malone's name mentioned since he (Liberty Media) owns about 30% of Charter Communications and he already own 1% of Sprint through another Liberty company. Maybe he knows that Charter & Comcast will also invest as part of their wholesale talks with Sprint.
    Malone has been begging Charter to buy Sprint for years. I'm certain Sprint will walk away with a huge investment. Imagine both cable companies replacing their WiFi routers with WiFi capable "Magic Boxes" inside every subscribers home. Largest and most dense small cell network on the planet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast