Thread: Keep $60 2GB Loyalty Plan vs. Switch to $55 5GB Plan?

Device(s)
    LG UX830
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score

Keep $60 2GB Loyalty Plan vs. Switch to $55 5GB Plan?

Hi all - I searched a number of threads and still felt like I couldn't get a straight answer on this.

I currently have the $60 2GB Loyalty Plan, with an iPhone 7 I bought in September 2017 (subsidized for $199 with a two year contract).

However, the 2GB plan isn't quite big enough for me anymore. I'm using up almost the entire data plan each month.

Would it make more sense to switch to the $55 5GB plan? By my current math, this would cost me ~$67 per month ($32 5GB with 18% employer discount + $40 Line Access - $5 AutoPay = $67 per month before taxes).

I still don't entirely understand if I'm factoring in all the correct costs - am I still eligible for subsidized phones under my Loyalty Plan? Or is that no longer a factor, and really the only different is the $7 ($60 vs. $67) increase per month?

Also, would the 5GB plan drop in price once I am no longer in a contract? From what I've gathered from other posts, the $40 Line Access would drop to $20 once I am no longer in contract...so for ~$47 per month, that would be hard to beat. But, still unsure how (if at all) subsidies would factor in that.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmer6483 View Post
    Hi all - I searched a number of threads and still felt like I couldn't get a straight answer on this.

I currently have the $60 2GB Loyalty Plan, with an iPhone 7 I bought in September 2017 (subsidized for $199 with a two year contract).

However, the 2GB plan isn't quite big enough for me anymore. I'm using up almost the entire data plan each month.

Would it make more sense to switch to the $55 5GB plan? By my current math, this would cost me ~$67 per month ($32 5GB with 18% employer discount + $40 Line Access - $5 AutoPay = $67 per month before taxes).

I still don't entirely understand if I'm factoring in all the correct costs - am I still eligible for subsidized phones under my Loyalty Plan? Or is that no longer a factor, and really the only different is the $7 ($60 vs. $67) increase per month?

Also, would the 5GB plan drop in price once I am no longer in a contract? From what I've gathered from other posts, the $40 Line Access would drop to $20 once I am no longer in contract...so for ~$47 per month, that would be hard to beat. But, still unsure how (if at all) subsidies would factor in that.

Just me with my advise I think the 5 gig plan sounds good honestly because you mentioned 2 gig isn't really enough so you get more data plus rollover plus safety mode (unlimited at 2G speeds). When I had the plan I had a bigger discount but my cost came to 47.26 something including taxes and stuff so something to consider really

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    If you are running out of data, yes go for it. You also have to factor in taxes and fees (my plan is about 75 a month, I also get an employer discount and am under contract until nov, and then it will be about 55/month) Plus you get rollover data which is nice and no overages.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was on the same 2gb loyalty plan and also switched to the 5gb $55 plan. But I was out of contract on my phone. It was worth it to me because carry over data is really nice to have along with safety mode (which is ungodly slow but better than paying $15 a gb then losing it in a couple days or having no data). Plus instead of being locked in for 2 years you can pay off your device and get another sooner if you want. When you get a device payment plan on your next device.

Did you mean September 2016? Instead of 2017?

And depending if you ever contacted support you will also have the hotspot feature. They added it to the loyalty plans a few years ago but you had to call and have it added to your account for free.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotstud19us View Post
    I was on the same 2gb loyalty plan and also switched to the 5gb $55 plan. But I was out of contract on my phone. It was worth it to me because carry over data is really nice to have along with safety mode (which is ungodly slow but better than paying $15 a gb then losing it in a couple days or having no data). Plus instead of being locked in for 2 years you can pay off your device and get another sooner if you want. When you get a device payment plan on your next device.

And depending if you ever contacted support you will also have the hotspot feature. They added it to the loyalty plans a few years ago but you had to call and have it added to your account for free.
    Hotspot also comes with the 5gb/$55 plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmer6483 View Post

I just went through this. On the Loyalty plan if you go over its $10 per gig unlike the current plans at $15 per gig...Alslo if you decide to go to the 5gb plan once your officially out of contract your line access fee will drop from $40 to $20 and you will get the hotspot like someone else mentioned

Device(s)
    LG UX830
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotstud19us View Post

Oops, I did mean September 2016 instead of 2017.

I have had hotspot for awhile, I had to chat a couple of reps but eventually got it added to my plan.

So, when I am out of contract with my current loyalty plan (i.e. September 2018) - will I still get subsidized phones? Thanks for all the advice so far, super helpful. I'm leaning towards switching...it's a really attractive option that my line access would drop from $40 to $20 once I'm out of contract.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I was on this same plan, and took the plunge. Don't regret it. (i.e. 2Gb plan grandfathered to 5Gb deal)
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    This plan was really nice because it offered a subsidized phone when Verizon still offered them. I know certain accounts can still get subsidized phones, however most can't.

$60 for 2 GB of data + a subsidized phone may be worth something, but $60 for 2 GB of data by itself really isn't that special, especially because the Loyalty plan isn't eligible for an employer discounts, while the $55 5 GB plan is.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    This plan was really nice because it offered a subsidized phone when Verizon still offered them. I know certain accounts can still get subsidized phones, however most can't.

$60 for 2 GB of data + a subsidized phone may be worth something, but $60 for 2 GB of data by itself really isn't that special, especially because the Loyalty plan isn't eligible for an employer discounts, while the $55 5 GB plan is.
    Yes, you nailed it. Other things I appreciate, some of this re-cap:
    - Includes hotspot-- although my 2Gb grandfathered plan did too (even if unusual)
    - Includes safety mode-- turn this on to avoid overage charges.
    - Has $5/mo discount if you go paperless and use debit card for auto-pay.
    - Includes carry-over data. Most months for me this is like 4Gb, so I have 9Gb/mo on average available for a month when I really use data.
    - They claim it supports travel pass but I think all plans do. Not sure there's much there of value.
    - Appears to include long distance from USA to canada or mexico (note not roaming outside USA -- that's travel pass).
    - As noted, works with employer discounts.
    - No phone subsidy so you lose that-- and yeah that kinda sucks, but I don't think the old $60 plan can get new subsidy anyway.

Yeah, this is a very special promo. The main reason I switched is I believe the promo will vanish at some point.
    i.e. I had considered waiting until my contract done first, then switch, but no guarantee this plan will exist then (at least for folks that don't already have it).

-Dan