Thread: Looking for quality (used or new) Android phone under $200

Feedback Score

Looking for quality (used or new) Android phone under $200

Hi guys,

I've had it with my Droid Maxx 2. I'm just done with it, and I think maybe I'm done with bottom-end phones.

I have to say, before this, I had a Moto G, 1st gen. And while I had some issues with it, the Maxx 2 has been worse. First, the rear camera went out, then I'm having issues with random static, now, my screen is cracked, and the replacement screen doesn't work with consistency. In fact, if the back of the phone is on, the screen doesn't work at all. I give up.

So, I'm looking to switch. Here are my rules:

-Keep it under $200. I would like to keep it under $100, but realize I may not be able to fulfill the rest of my requirements.
    -I want a QUALITY phone. I want something with few/no bugs and solid construction. I'm perfectly happy with an older phone if it runs smoothly.
    -No Android 5.x. I'm OK with 4.x, 6.x, 7.x, whatever, just not 5.x.
    -The 5.5" screen is actually a little too big for me. I like my screen somewhere around the 4.7" range. We'll say between 4.5" and 5.0". I like being able to use a phone with one hand.
    -I want 4G. I have a SIM card.
    -I want to use my microSD card.
    -I should be able to get a rubber case for it, but I don't suspect that will be an issue.
    -Battery life is not a biggie, but I have a few Turbo chargers.
    -Should have at least 720 x 1280 resolution. 1080 x 1920 or better is nice but not required.
    -Should support Bluetooth 4.0 or better. AptX would be nice.

Feedback Score
    Amazon has the moto g5 plus that fits almost all of those requirements. Its brand new for just under $200. Great photos. Will hold sd card. Works LTE on Verizon. Full 1080p display. Has Android 7.0. Only thing that might be a deal breaker for you is the screen is 5.2 inches

Feedback Score
    Sounds pretty good. My main concern is, at <$200 new, it's probably a bottom end phone. I'll try to find some reviews.

Feedback Score
    You aren't going to get a high end or even a mid range phone for under 200. I have used the moto g5 plus. In my opinion, it is a really good phone. It has a fingerprint reader on it that works really well. I don't like Motorola and I was lucky to find a Galaxy s7 really cheap.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KDulcimer View Post
    Sounds pretty good. My main concern is, at <$200 new, it's probably a bottom end phone. I'll try to find some reviews.
    Mid-range phone quality has improved dramatically since the release of the first Moto G. A "bottom-end" Android phone costs in the ballpark of $0-$50. The Moto G5 is a darn good phone for its price. Of course, it's not a flagship phone, but those will easily cost 3-5 times as much (unless you grab a good sale).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have a G5 Plus I use on my free line on Sprint and love it. I find myself using it more than my S8 sometimes. It's a really high quality device, especially for its price.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, the other half has spoken, and my budget has been slashed-- to $80. Definitely looking used at this point. I have no idea what I could get, but it's obviously going to be an older generation phone.

Feedback Score

Looking for quality (used or new) Android phone under $200

Unfortunately, the other half has spoken, and my budget has been slashed-- to $80. Definitely looking used at this point. I have no idea what I could get, but it's obviously going to be an older generation phone.
    Look on SWAPPA 🏻

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Seriously looking at a Galaxy S5 now. I think I can convince the wife to stretch the budget just a smidge.

Feedback Score
    Moto 4G Play would fit all of your rules. I got mine NEW at B&H for $99 (XT1607 unlocked for all 4 carriers), 5" screen, one hand usage from the screen being shrunk small by choice, 4G SIM, micro SD card up to 128 GB, good battery life (removable), Marshmallow, 720x1280, 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor with 2GB of RAM. 16 GB storage, 5 megapixel front camera and 8 rear. I had a Moto G 1st generation (XT1028) refurb that I used for 2.5 yrs. (still works fine) and I upgraded to the Play and I love it! I also found a nice case for reasonable price as well as screen protector.

See specs here:
    https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    It looks like you're going to have to water down your requirements.

Take a look at the LG K20 Plus or the HTC Desire 530 which are both prepaid phones. You might be able to find them used which will be needed to use on postpaid.

You need to get the wife to free up a few more bucks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I second a look at the K20 +, this is a nice phone for the asking price ($168).

I'm thinking about buying one for my android play phone. I'll probably end up with the Nokia 6 though instead. However, this phone with Verizon isn't an option.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    My GF got a Samsung J. At least I think that was the model. She paid around $150 for it. It was basically the same size screen and body as my S6 was. Only it was awesome 1080P screen. And of course has aww lower processor and less memory. I only know my GF has been pleased with it. But I upgraded my two year old S6 to an S8.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I ordered a Moto G4 Play. They're under $50 used on eBay. I ordered a used one in the hopes that it will activate on Verizon postpaid without a fee.