Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Free year of Sprint service if you're with Verizon

Feedback Score

Free year of Sprint service if you're with Verizon

So I just switched from Straight Talk to Verizon prepaid, and now I just accepted an offer for a year's worth of free service with Sprint.

I already know Sprint's coverage area is horrible compared to Verizon, but the free service offer was too good for me to pass on. Unlimited everything free for a year and no contract if you're currently with Verizon and you own your phone (so no phone contract buyouts).

Anyone else accept that offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Depends on needs of coverage. For me, it’s still not worth it. You never know where you’ll be at for the year. I’m staying with Verizon for the ease of mind.

Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score

Free year of Sprint service if you're with Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Depends on needs of coverage. For me, it’s still not worth it. You never know where you’ll be at for the year. I’m staying with Verizon for the ease of mind.

Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray
    Totally understand. I figured I could at least try it, and if it sucks as bad as I think it will, or it's even worse, at least I didn't have to pay for it and I could switch back to Verizon prepaid anytime I wanted.

This is the really awesome benefit of not being in any kind of a contract at all with any service provider, and I'm totally enjoying the freedom it offers.

Feedback Score
    Not a bad deal like you said

Feedback Score
    I use my cellphone for DOUBLE AUTHENTICATION on all my money transactions and my login to web sites. So it has to be available on a network data connection or working text. That's why I will stick to Verizon prepaid for now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    First, it isn't limited to Verizon, you can switch from pretty much any carrier. You just have to have one of the phones on their list that is compatible with Sprint and port your number to Sprint.

Next, while it is technically free, they do charge a $1.99 fee per month and taxes. I switched an unused line over and am being charged $3.13 per month. I suspect I'll cancel my service next summer, right before they want to charge me the normal price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    First, it isn't limited to Verizon, you can switch from pretty much any carrier. You just have to have one of the phones on their list that is compatible with Sprint and port your number to Sprint.

Next, while it is technically free, they do charge a $1.99 fee per month and taxes. I switched an unused line over and am being charged $3.13 per month. I suspect I'll cancel my service next summer, right before they want to charge me the normal price.
    How does one have an unused line? Are we talking an unused phone on someone low cost service?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    How does one have an unused line? Are we talking an unused phone on someone low cost service?

Basically, I had an extra line that was no longer being used daily but I wouldn't have saved any money by cancelling it. So, for the past few months it has been my backup line.

Feedback Score
    Its a very interesting deal. Just another reason to purchase unlocked phones from the Apple Store. The wife has an ATT version so couldnt switch even if we wanted to try. Well actually maybe she could? She received a new Iphone 6s under warranty from Apple and is using Verizon Prepaid. So technically it has to work for Sprint right?

I believe the deal ends late July, if they extend it another month I might be tempted to try on my line. Cant really lose anything if it turns out to be haggard service in St. Louis area cuz I would just come back.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post
    Totally understand. I figured I could at least try it, and if it sucks as bad as I think it will, or it's even worse, at least I didn't have to pay for it and I could switch back to Verizon prepaid anytime I wanted.

This is the really awesome benefit of not being in any kind of a contract at all with any service provider, and I'm totally enjoying the freedom it offers.

I switched from a Verizon postpaid unlimited plan to Sprint. It wasn't a smooth port in but the service itself has been fine. No WiFi calling or VOLTE on my Pixel XL however. I signed up for the free for 6 months Tidal music promo, so that's another bonus for $3.62 per month. If I have coverage problems a Verizon prepaid plan or PagePlus for backup and still cheaper than what I was paying.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    I switched from a Verizon postpaid unlimited plan to Sprint. It wasn't a smooth port in but the service itself has been fine. No WiFi calling or VOLTE on my Pixel XL however. I signed up for the free for 6 months Tidal music promo, so that's another bonus for $3.62 per month. If I have coverage problems a Verizon prepaid plan or PagePlus for backup and still cheaper than what I was paying.
    That's unfortunate to hear the port-in process wasn't smooth. My Verizon prepaid plan ends on the 19th, and I'm expecting to receive the Sprint SIM on the 18th. I was really hoping for a fast and smooth port-in so I wouldn't need to recharge my Verizon plans (me and my wife).

I'm currently on the $50/7GB plan, and I certainly don't want to throw away ~$100.00 just to keep my number active for a day or 2 for the port-in. I wonder if I could buy like a $5.00 calling card or something just to keep the service active until port-in is complete.

Feedback Score
    Also, I wonder why you don't have wifi calling? I thought that was something Sprint had. I know they don't have volte yet (or never).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    Its a very interesting deal. Just another reason to purchase unlocked phones from the Apple Store. The wife has an ATT version so couldnt switch even if we wanted to try. Well actually maybe she could? She received a new Iphone 6s under warranty from Apple and is using Verizon Prepaid. So technically it has to work for Sprint right?

I believe the deal ends late July, if they extend it another month I might be tempted to try on my line. Cant really lose anything if it turns out to be haggard service in St. Louis area cuz I would just come back.
    It's easy to find out if the phone is eligible. Just click on the link below, enter your IMEI number and phone number.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offer...:A:UF:07012017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    WiFi calling should be working now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post
    That's unfortunate to hear the port-in process wasn't smooth. My Verizon prepaid plan ends on the 19th, and I'm expecting to receive the Sprint SIM on the 18th. I was really hoping for a fast and smooth port-in so I wouldn't need to recharge my Verizon plans (me and my wife).

I'm currently on the $50/7GB plan, and I certainly don't want to throw away ~$100.00 just to keep my number active for a day or 2 for the port-in. I wonder if I could buy like a $5.00 calling card or something just to keep the service active until port-in is complete.

At least one issue, Sprint tells you to activate before putting the SIM card in and that it will take 15 minutes to port your number -- they don't give you a temporary number while your port occurs. However, many of us have taken up to 48 hours for the port to actually occur. It makes it inconvenient, because you basically need to take the Sprint SIM and a ejection tool everywhere you go, so you can change your SIM when the port is done (you lose service on your old carrier). And, if the change happens when you aren't paying attention, you run the risk of missing an important call or text. Also, they will send you an email when your port is completed -- but again, you won't get the notification on your phone without swapping the SIM card (though it works well if you are near your computer).

Many of us tried calling in to find out the status -- after all, the activation page said it should take 15 minutes. The problem is, the support people can't see the request to activate your phone; they pull up information based on your phone number and, since the port is not complete, you have no Sprint phone number.

I'm not sure if this was his issue or not, but it is frustrating to be told it should be done in 15 minutes, have it be over 12 hours and not be able to find out the status -- such as if something gets wrong.To check the status of the port-in process, the way we've found that works is to use this Sprint webpage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast