Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Service completely lost in the GSM Shutdown

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Service completely lost in the GSM Shutdown

I have noted in another thread that AT&T service was completely shut down in Red River, New Mexico last year. AT&T customers now have no service in Red River at all, which I find odd since the vast majority of the year-round visitors to that community come from Texas and Oklahoma, both of which are hotbeds of AT&T Wireless customers. Having just spent a nice cool weekend out there, I overheard the conversation at a table full of Texans next to us, all of whom were AT&T customers, expressing outrage that their phones had no signal when they did work the last time they were there. T-Mobile and Verizon were just fine for other people.

So the questions I have are does anyone else know any other places where service was completely shut down or lost as a result of the GSM shutdown AT&T did last year? What areas were abandoned that had previously been served by AT&T? Does AT&T have any plans to re-serve those places in the future? When will that occur? I have seen a couple of reports in other threads, so I thought a central place to record those would be good.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you have a VOLTE compatible phone with the correct frequencies ?? Is there any service at all under any frequency ??

If there is truly no service, they should allow you out of a contract without an ETF.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yeah -- something isn't right here.

AT&T's coverage map even thinks there is 3G and/or 3G "partner" coverage.

Sensorly has 3G coverage mapped there.

I'm not calling you a liar OP, something is definitely wrong. It is kind of strange that AT&T would not touch anything there -- yet other carriers thrive.

Have you called to report no roaming in that town?
    WiFi Guru

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That part of NM has a bit of Commnet 3G roaming, so something could be going on with AT&T and them.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Do you have a VOLTE compatible phone with the correct frequencies ?? Is there any service at all under any frequency ??

If there is truly no service, they should allow you out of a contract without an ETF.
    There was no service at all, no signal of any kind on my AT&T Moto E phone that I use for testing. It has been that way on multiple trips out there in the past few months. There has always been AT&T service there, for years, 3G and 4G, never LTE, I know it's not native although it was labeled as "AT&T" on the phone, which is the normal thing for AT&T to do. Commnet has never shown up anywhere out there except for a small area to the west between Questa and Taos, but only for a mile or so when you hit a really high spot. The phone got a signal back in Taos, which is true native AT&T. I know there is no signal in Red River because I talked to those people at the next table who didn't have any signal either. They had iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones and one had a OnePlus3. It's just gone.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wifiguru View Post
    Yeah -- something isn't right here.

AT&T's coverage map even thinks there is 3G and/or 3G "partner" coverage.

Sensorly has 3G coverage mapped there.

I'm not calling you a liar OP, something is definitely wrong. It is kind of strange that AT&T would not touch anything there -- yet other carriers thrive.

Have you called to report no roaming in that town?

No, I haven't, I just talked with other tourists at the restaurant and at the bar later and heard their experiences and frustrations. I'm sure AT&T will be hearing from some of them, they said they had always had service there until a few months ago when it disappeared. They were from Dallas where AT&T is the dominant carrier, so they want service when they're at their vacation homes in the mountains. Either something is going on or AT&T has dropped service, I can't imagine what else it could be since they said it had been this way for months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Service completely lost in the GSM Shutdown

My information shows service in the Red River area is provided by a roaming partner (likely Commnet). If service has changed, then Commnet has done something. I would recommend calling Customer Care and reporting it, so that AT&T is aware. They will often work with the roaming provider to fix whatever might be causing the issue.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    Commnet has never shown up anywhere out there except for a small area to the west between Questa and Taos, but only for a mile or so when you hit a really high spot. The phone got a signal back in Taos, which is true native AT&T.
    Just north of Taos by the airport is Commnet 3G roaming.

Feedback Score
    The AT&T coverage map shows AT&T native coverage for Cimarron, NM. When I was there coverage was non exisitent if my weBoost was not powered on. The same was true for the rest of my family. The signal seems to be very week in areas that were recently Edge coverage areas.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    My information shows service in the Red River area is provided by a roaming partner (likely Commnet). If service has changed, then Commnet has done something. I would recommend calling Customer Care and reporting it, so that AT&T is aware. They will often work with the roaming provider to fix whatever might be causing the issue.
    Thanks a lot for that report. We will be going back out there in August, so I will take my AT&T phone along and check the service. I should think that AT&T would know if their service is down, even via a roamer, but who knows? The service was definitely not present, I saw first-hand AT&T phones that showed No Service.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Just north of Taos by the airport is Commnet 3G roaming.

Right, it showed up on my AT&T phone for just a little bit, AT&T's service fades out north of Taos and Comment showed up for a couple miles going over the ridge to Questa. Didn't last long.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot for that report. We will be going back out there in August, so I will take my AT&T phone along and check the service. I should think that AT&T would know if their service is down, even via a roamer, but who knows? The service was definitely not present, I saw first-hand AT&T phones that showed No Service.
    AT&T has no way to know of any problems on a roaming partner's network, other than customers calling into Customer Service and reporting it.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I have noted in another thread that AT&T service was completely shut down in Red River, New Mexico last year. AT&T customers now have no service in Red River at all, which I find odd since the vast majority of the year-round visitors to that community come from Texas and Oklahoma, both of which are hotbeds of AT&T Wireless customers. Having just spent a nice cool weekend out there, I overheard the conversation at a table full of Texans next to us, all of whom were AT&T customers, expressing outrage that their phones had no signal when they did work the last time they were there. T-Mobile and Verizon were just fine for other people.

So the questions I have are does anyone else know any other places where service was completely shut down or lost as a result of the GSM shutdown AT&T did last year? What areas were abandoned that had previously been served by AT&T? Does AT&T have any plans to re-serve those places in the future? When will that occur? I have seen a couple of reports in other threads, so I thought a central place to record those would be good.
    It could be that AT&T Mobility was using a roaming partner in that area. That roaming partner might be still using GSM service.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    AT&T has no way to know of any problems on a roaming partner's network, other than customers calling into Customer Service and reporting it.
    True, but I find it odd that AT&T would not know if service is completely gone for months in a particular location or if a roaming partner had decided to abandon some of their territory.

Someone I know happened to be in town yesterday, he's a Plateau Wireless customer, AT&T bought out Plateau several years ago and has been re-working their system. He and his family had been in Red River last weekend and confirmed that there was no service there. The mystery deepens.

As to the original subject of the thread, anyone have any reports of other places around the country where service went away or shrunk with the GSM shutdown?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    True, but I find it odd that AT&T would not know if service is completely gone for months in a particular location or if a roaming partner had decided to abandon some of their territory.

Someone I know happened to be in town yesterday, he's a Plateau Wireless customer, AT&T bought out Plateau several years ago and has been re-working their system. He and his family had been in Red River last weekend and confirmed that there was no service there. The mystery deepens.

As to the original subject of the thread, anyone have any reports of other places around the country where service went away or shrunk with the GSM shutdown?
    Yes, I recently stayed at an AirBnB outside of Richmond on Mill Creek Dr, Montpelier, VA 23192, USA.

In the guest house we stayed at there was simply no ATT service whatsoever. At the time I did bring a Verizon line with me as well and it had useable LTE (-119 dbm) but it worked.

The Airbnb host did say only Verizon worked there and she was right.

If you put the phones near the window every 2-3 hours they would get a connection as a few mails and text messages would roll in but otherwise dead in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast