Thread: USB modem to Jetpack?

Device(s)
    BB 8530
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

USB modem to Jetpack?

Been away from HoFo for a long time (except the AT&T ZTE Mobley threads, recently).

I have a question though. On my account (grandfathered true unlimited), I have a 4G USB modem. Can't remember the exact model (myverizon doesn't show it, even though it's a V device. It's gotta be 6+ (8+?) years old though...). Anyway, my parents use it at home and traveling. Over the years we've compiled a few cradlepoint routers. The early/first portable/battery one, a 900, a 1200, and even another, I think. They seem to have all sorts of issues, and resetting whatever router seems to help. They do a bunch of audio streaming, if that makes a difference.

I'm thinking things could be improved with a jetpack, maybe an external antenna, and (for at home only) an additional router.

1) do you think this would actually help? My thought is to simplify the setup and eliminate the cradlepoint router(s), which I haven't been thrilled with lately.

2) Which "jetpack" should I get? I'd be buying it outright. Simple/stable being the most important features. Signal strength is way up there too, actually. Maybe it doesn't matter and shop it on price?

3) I'd have to trim the SIM, I think. A cutter is like $4 at walmart. probably no big deal, I don't think. Any other concerns?

4) antenna - looking for any recommendations. All I can find (without much looking yet) is like mag-mount car antennas. Was thinking a MIMO (maybe?) panel antenna would be more appropriate for home. Then maybe a smaller one for the camper/traveling? Probably try it without, first.

5) can jetpacks be tethered, or would I connect a home router as a wifi client? I use a cheap little wifi router with my AT&T Mobley that can do either. I'd duplicate it for them.

6) I think I can move the SIM in *like* devices, so I think this move would be "allowed" (or at least not dis-allowed to the point of losing my plan/service). True?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
    ...5) can jetpacks be tethered, or would I connect a home router as a wifi client? I use a cheap little wifi router with my AT&T Mobley that can do either. I'd duplicate it for them....
    I have no personal experience with Jetpacks and their ability to USB tether. A quick web search indicates that they can.

Any Wifi access point can be Repeater Bridged to a Wifi router with that feature. I use an old WRT54G running DD-WRT to get the Wifi from my Mobley in the car into the house. It works well. It also gets around any max user number for a mobile data hotspot and you can plug in wired Ethernet on the bridge router.

Repeater Bridge is the term that DD-WRT uses for this feature. Other routers may call it something different, but do the same thing. DD-WRT may not be the best thing for this nowadays.

What little wifi router do you use with the Mobley? Does it USB tether?

Device(s)
    BB 8530
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What little wifi router do you use with the Mobley? Does it USB tether?
    I read several mobley threads, across various forums. This one was recommended in one of them. For the price, I wasn't going to argue.
    http://a.co/3JwRoN1

Feedback Score
    I read several mobley threads, across various forums. This one was recommended in one of them. For the price, I wasn't going to argue.
    http://a.co/3JwRoN1
    Thanks, that is an interesting little thingy. Is says "3G/4G USB Modem Compatible ". Does the Mobley work as a USB modem? Is the Mobley USB port behind the rectangular cover on the side with the reset button?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    When I got my first gudp line I tried just using a jetpack and a extender. My wife would get ticked off because we had to keep resetting/restarting the jetpack all the time. So I bought the Mofi4500 Sim4 combo. No more restarts and much better wifi signal. BUT quite a bit more cashola.

Device(s)
    BB 8530
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks, that is an interesting little thingy. Is says "3G/4G USB Modem Compatible ". Does the Mobley work as a USB modem? Is the Mobley USB port behind the rectangular cover on the side with the reset button?
    Yes, it tethers.
    Yes, pry off the glued on cover...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    BB 8530
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    When I got my first gudp line I tried just using a jetpack and a extender. My wife would get ticked off because we had to keep resetting/restarting the jetpack all the time. So I bought the Mofi4500 Sim4 combo. No more restarts and much better wifi signal. BUT quite a bit more cashola.
    Good to know. That's largely what I'm dealing with now.

Was that an early jetpack, I wonder?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Good to know. That's largely what I'm dealing with now.

Was that an early jetpack, I wonder?

That was on a VW 6620L MiFi jetpack. So not the newest model, but fairly recent.