Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 203

Thread: Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,293
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just did my own testing, 4K "works" if you let it buffer for a while. 1440p is not a problem through Mobile Hotspot.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,537
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by albert1735 View Post
    Just did my own testing, 4K "works" if you let it buffer for a while. 1440p is not a problem through Mobile Hotspot.
    4K with HDR has issues for me

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,406
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Disagree and you must not live in a rural area where there are limited choices for internet
    Then move out of the sticks if you want cheap internet. Everything in life is a trade off. You aren't owed anything, if you want to enjoy the benefits of rural living you incur the additional costs associated with it. I'd be fine with 10Mbps if I could live where I wanted to and have an unlimited wired internet connection.

    I'd love to live in a rural area, but there are services and jobs that I rely on which are unfortunately near the city. So I choose to live in a quiet suburb, where I can get 150Mbps cable internet for under $100 a month.

    You can move to the city and pay $2500 a month rent but have $50 gigabit internet. Pick your poison. Nothing in life is free.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,537
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Then move out of the sticks if you want cheap internet. Everything in life is a trade off. You aren't owed anything, if you want to enjoy the benefits of rural living you incur the additional costs associated with it. I'd be fine with 10Mbps if I could live where I wanted to and have an unlimited wired internet connection.

    I'd love to live in a rural area, but there are services and jobs that I rely on which are unfortunately near the city. So I choose to live in a quiet suburb, where I can get 150Mbps cable internet for under $100 a month.

    You can move to the city and pay $2500 a month rent but have $50 gigabit internet. Pick your poison. Nothing in life is free.
    My line was sold to me by Verizon as a replacement home internet service and I should be able to use it that way without being throttled .I see that another hofo thread just got thread jacked . Lets get back on topic !!!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greater D.C./Baltimore Metro Region, USA
    Posts
    1,870
    Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    0
    When it comes to Netflix specifically, they now have an option on their apps that will help with this: The ability to download shows and movies for Offline Viewing. I've tried it out on my tablet and it's beautiful! I get smooth as silk playback with a crisp, clear HD image and NO BUFFERING! Just keep in mind that Netflix limits the number of times you can download a video per year.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

    New signature coming soon-ish...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,638
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    I like Verizon for their coverage, but if they start taking grandfathered UDP plans and subjecting them to the same rules as regular plans, including the 22 or 23 GB soft cap, there won't be much benefit to keeping them.
    They probably have. I confirmed this on a tiered data plan originally (am now on UDP as of today). So the throttle is for everyone at least on TNVP.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,537
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    When it comes to Netflix specifically, they now have an option on their apps that will help with this: The ability to download shows and movies for Offline Viewing. I've tried it out on my tablet and it's beautiful! I get smooth as silk playback with a crisp, clear HD image and NO BUFFERING! Just keep in mind that Netflix limits the number of times you can download a video per year.
    No option to do that on a Roku or smart tv and who wants to watch a show on a smart phone or connect the smart phone to a TV to watch

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,638
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    AT&T did the same thing last week to all of my lines and now Verizon has done the exact same thing but instead of 5 meg limits it's 10. This is a clear FCC violation. How the heck am I supposed to stream 4K stuff now ?
    AT&T is throttling video to 5 Mbps with Streamsaver off?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greater D.C./Baltimore Metro Region, USA
    Posts
    1,870
    Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    No option to do that on a Roku or smart tv and who wants to watch a show on a smart phone or connect the smart phone to a TV to watch
    I wouldn't know, since I don't have either of those options. When I want to watch Netflix on a TV, I use the Netflix App on my Xbox 360, Xbox One, or my Blu-Ray player. I haven't tested out the Xbox Apps to see if the Download for Offline Viewing option is available, but I don't see why it wouldn't be, since the consoles have hard drives to store downloaded video on.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,537
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    AT&T is throttling video to 5 Mbps with Streamsaver off?

    I had no stream saver on my account and I was seeing 5Mbps speeds . I gave them code DSOFF and my speeds increased back to 40 after a quick reboot . This is exactly the same thing Verizon did and they claim that they didn't do anything and will open up a ticket.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,406
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    My line was sold to me by Verizon as a replacement home internet service and I should be able to use it that way without being throttled .I see that another hofo thread just got thread jacked . Lets get back on topic !!!
    It's definitely on-topic. Every entitled rural user who thinks wireless is a fixed-line internet replacement is essentially pissing in the pool for the rest of us. I have no problem with Netflix or anything else being throttled to 10 or even 5 Mbps.

    Did Verizon guarantee you any speed tier when they sold you that plan? No? Then you have no reason to complain. If you want to stream 4K60 video, get a real internet connection.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,537
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It's definitely on-topic. Every entitled rural user who thinks wireless is a fixed-line internet replacement is essentially pissing in the pool for the rest of us. I have no problem with Netflix or anything else being throttled to 10 or even 5 Mbps.

    Did Verizon guarantee you any speed tier when they sold you that plan? No? Then you have no reason to complain. If you want to stream 4K60 video, get a real internet connection.
    I don't understand why some of you get so butt hurt about rural internet users when it's likely has no impact on you at all . I am paying an arm and a leg for my bonded setup and will use it however I want and likely push another 1000gb's this month And no Verizon never said anything about speeds but they did say that it wouldn't be throttled if I kept the plan. So what they are doing now is just wrong . They never notified me at all about this plan change and have no idea how it got on my account. Please tell me what a real internet connection is and how can I get one in my area cause I have tried all options and they just plain do not work .

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,537
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,936
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, but here's mine...

    I'd be thrilled if they throttled EVERYONE to 10 Mbps for EVERYTHING if it meant improved capacity across their network. No one NEEDS 150 Mbps on a cell phone. Maybe if they just capped all data speeds across the board, people wouldn't be seeing 1 Mbps (and sometimes less) at times. I'd rather have a consistent 10 Mbps ALL the time vs. 150 Mbps sometimes and 1-2 Mbps at other times.
    I think 40 Mbps would be accepted with more people. It won’t help as much as being limited to 10 will but it’s something. Even if they wanted to do that, they can’t.


    Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,936
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I said it would be an unpopular opinion.

    Using Verizon for home internet is what is contributing to the capacity issues on their network. Verizon clearly wasn't ready for unlimited and now everyone is suffering. I think they should throttle everything for everyone. Maybe a tiered throttling system. 10-50 Mbps until you hit 10 GB, 10-20 Mbps for the next 10 GB of data and then 5-10 Mbps after that.
    Yep I used to get 80-90 Mbps where I live. Now I get 30. AT&T is around 15-25 (around 7-10 during the weekend)... they have taken the hardest hit but they weren’t the best with speeds here to begin with.


    Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Verizon already throttling Unlimted Data on LTE?
    By oldertwin in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 10:50 AM
  2. Ceo Of Verizon Is Back So Put Down All Your Rants And I Will Take Care Of Them Here:
    By CEO_VERIZON in forum Provider Rants, Kudos and Recommendations
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 04:09 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2002, 02:12 AM
  4. Reasons why Verizon is Great!
    By TamperTesting in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2002, 10:29 PM
  5. verizon is the best
    By one028 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-06-2002, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks