Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, but here's mine...

I'd be thrilled if they throttled EVERYONE to 10 Mbps for EVERYTHING if it meant improved capacity across their network. No one NEEDS 150 Mbps on a cell phone. Maybe if they just capped all data speeds across the board, people wouldn't be seeing 1 Mbps (and sometimes less) at times. I'd rather have a consistent 10 Mbps ALL the time vs. 150 Mbps sometimes and 1-2 Mbps at other times.
    Problem with that is they would need to drop the price. People are expecting Filet Mignonette and they are delivering chop liver. Okay, maybe not quite that extreme, but look at AT&T's unlimited plans for reference. The throttled one is 30% cheaper.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    I don't understand why some of you get so butt hurt about rural internet users when it's likely has no impact on you at all . I am paying an arm and a leg for my bonded setup and will use it however I want and likely push another 1000gb's this month And no Verizon never said anything about speeds but they did say that it wouldn't be throttled if I kept the plan. So what they are doing now is just wrong . They never notified me at all about this plan change and have no idea how it got on my account. Please tell me what a real internet connection is and how can I get one in my area cause I have tried all options and they just plain do not work .
    But what you’re saying is if you can do this, everyone else can. If everyone else used their network for home internet, network quality will drastically drop even more. People who abuse the network are why we can’t have nicer perks. But if you are able to use thousands of gigs with Verizon’s network, you do indeed have no right to make a complaint about video services being throttled to 10 Mbps. It’s not even bad. If you didn’t sign anything stating you will never be throttled, you have no leg to stand on. They can do whatever they want to your plan and can terminate it at any given time for any reason.

Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Reporting in GUDP fast.com 10Mbps testmy.net 23.2Mbps

I'm don't pay enough to get UHD. Otherwise netflix still seems quick and responsive.

Feedback Score
    Are we discussing the 3Mbps plan? 30% savings is not remotely worth the extra slowness you get from moving from 10 to 3Mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Are we discussing the 3Mbps plan? 30% savings is not remotely worth the extra slowness you get from moving from 10 to 3Mbps.
    Debatable. Some people sign up for it, so it is worth it to some, but my overall point was just that consumers were told the plans would not be throttled. And now they are. Consumers typically want a discount if they are receiving lesser service.

Feedback Score
    Location, location, location, location.
    No obviously not everyone can some areas are already too loaded for it to be a decent option.
    Here in town you would be lucky to get 10Mbps in the afternoon but usually much lower than that. However I live out of town by a tower with minimal load it's doing 25/18Mbps right now.

So it's only a good option if you are in a good location unless you would be happy with a connection that often can't stream 360P.

As for getting a real internet connection that would require spending a few thousand dollars for a tower to get a signal over the hill that's blocking the local WISPs signals. Then I could get a uncapped 50/5Mbps for just $100/mo ($10/mo savings over my current setup)

Anything better than that would require many thousands more to have a actual line run.

Feedback Score
    I prefer to pretend the 3Mbps plan doesn't exist because imho it's not good enough to consider.

There is no application where I would prefer 3Mbps unmetered over a full speed and cheaper capped connection.
    $30/mo gets you 22GB data then unlimited depiro on a tablet. Deprio in my area is way better than 3Mbps.

Sure a discount is always nice.

If they are limiting netflix to 10Mbps I will likely never notice. However If they are throttling youtube (which it appears they are doing) that's going to be pretty annoying.

I'm one of those people that watches youtube videos at high speed to save time 4X at 720P (so the text is clear enough to read)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not seeing this in NC. Tested near Chapel Hill. Restarted my phone as well but no difference. Fast.com usually never gives me accurate results anyways.

UPDATE: Netflix throttle is there. Tried hotspoting to my 4K tv and checked the bitrate and it never left 11 Mbps.

Last edited by jumpmanj2395; 07-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am shocked that this isn't getting more press ! Please report this to your local news station

Support claims that there is no stream saver on any grandfathered unlimited accounts

Feedback Score
    I am shocked that this isn't getting more press ! Please report this to your local news station

Support claims that there is no stream saver on any grandfathered unlimited accounts
    I am still trying to wrap my head around what I/we can do. According to Verizon, multiple sources mind you, my plan is not subject to any type of throttle and there is no throttle in place. Yet, there is and I am affected. I actually would be perfectly fine with the throttle at 10Mbps if I was made aware of it beforehand because a) I don't watch much video on mobile, and b) I have a T-mobile line that is supposed to not have a throttle either.

The problem is, for me at least, they tell me there is no throttle applied to my plan and that the data in my plan is completely unthrottled , but they don't appear convinced that my line is being throttled. I guess the FCC is whom we would need to turn to.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    And tell them what? Verizon is trying to salvage their network by slowing things down to a very useable speed in order to keep abusers who run speed tests all day long from ruining the network experience for everyone?

No thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    And tell them what? Verizon is trying to salvage their network by slowing things down to a very useable speed in order to keep abusers who run speed tests all day long from ruining the network experience for everyone?

No thanks.
    Speed tests aren't affected. Video services are.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    I guess the FCC is whom we would need to turn to.
    With their former buddy running the place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    With their former buddy running the place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's it right there. Verizon is doing this now because they know they can get away with it. Technically they are still providing "HD" video streaming and technically they know the FCC will do nothing about this. Face it folks. Things like this are going to happen more and more with the current FCC. First your privacy protections were eliminated. Next it will be net neutrality. Companies like Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, etc. are going to start pushing their abusive powers and there is nothing that can be done to stop it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Speed tests aren't affected. Video services are.
    You missed my point. I'm talking about how all the OCD unlimited users are ruining the network by running useless speed tests all day and how Verizon counteracted that move in an attempt to salvage their network with throttled speeds.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast