Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    You missed my point. I'm talking about how all the OCD unlimited users are ruining the network by running useless speed tests all day and how Verizon counteracted that move in an attempt to salvage their network with throttled speeds.
    They aren't throttling speed tests. Why do you assume everyone on UDP is running "useless" speed tests?
    Last edited by WiredGuy; 07-20-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

I know it's anecdotal but a friend of mine who used to have a grandfathered UDP used to keep his data around 75-80 gigs a month because he didn't want to get kicked off. Now that the new UDPs came out, he's upwards of 350 gigs a month because what are they going to do?

He's loving watching Netflix every day when he used to just download things sparingly. So even versus an old gUDP I wouldn't be surprised to see data usage going way up. I doubt he cares he doesn't get 2160p/60 on his hotspot and has to "suffer" 1080p.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I know it's anecdotal but a friend of mine who used to have a grandfathered UDP used to keep his data around 75-80 gigs a month because he didn't want to get kicked off. Now that the new UDPs came out, he's upwards of 350 gigs a month because what are they going to do?

He's loving watching Netflix every day when he used to just download things sparingly. So even versus an old gUDP I wouldn't be surprised to see data usage going way up. I doubt he cares he doesn't get 2160p/60 on his hotspot and has to "suffer" 1080p.
    I thought Verizon was throttling speeds after 22GB or something? I don't even use 350GB a month on my home internet and I work from home and am online 16 hours a day. That's ridiculous. Verizon should be throttling these people.

Feedback Score
    I thought Verizon was throttling speeds after 22GB or something? I don't even use 350GB a month on my home internet and I work from home and am online 16 hours a day. That's ridiculous. Verizon should be throttling these people.
    Throttling after 22 GB? Wrong! Depripritization is the term you're looking for. These two are not the same thing. I can use 50 GB in less than 10 days, and yet, I am basically unaffected until I'm on maybe 1 or 2 congested towers around here. Speeds do slow a bit, but it's barely noticeable until I run a Speedtest. Oh, I'm still able to pull 200+ Mbps even after the 22 GB threshold.

Feedback Score
    And tell them what? Verizon is trying to salvage their network by slowing things down to a very useable speed in order to keep abusers who run speed tests all day long from ruining the network experience for everyone?

No thanks.
    Ah. Speedtests are short, you think that's gonna ruin their network? Do you even know there's a thing called QoS? It's not like I run a Speedtest and then the resource blocks on the air link don't get distributed to others.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Someone needs to let Legere at T-Mobile know about this. They will be all over Verizon in a split second.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Someone needs to let Legere at T-Mobile know about this. They will be all over Verizon in a split second.
    They are guilty of throttling people to 480p what a hypocrite John will be when he tweets about this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albert1735 View Post
    They are guilty of throttling people to 480p what a hypocrite John will be when he tweets about this.
    With T-Mobile it's in writing for anyone to see. If you want HD video on T-Mobile it's $10/Mo more and is not throttled at 10 Mb/s.
    Verizon is trying to be sneaky about it thinking no one is going to notice.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    With T-Mobile it's in writing for anyone to see. If you want HD video on T-Mobile it's $10/Mo more and is not throttled at 10 Mb/s.
    Verizon is trying to be sneaky about it thinking no one is going to notice.
    Well they can’t outsmart HoFo members.

Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albert1735 View Post
    T-Mobile eventually came out and admitted they throttle video streams and today let you know up front that video streams are throttled though. As of today Verizon is telling us that we aren't throttled and no throttling applies to any of our data. So there is some difference here.

Feedback Score
    You missed my point. I'm talking about how all the OCD unlimited users are ruining the network by running useless speed tests all day and how Verizon counteracted that move in an attempt to salvage their network with throttled speeds.
    Hypothetically, even if it were true that speed tests were somehow degrading the network experience, why would they throttle video? That isn't a logical response. Furthermore, why would they tell consumers that they are purchasing data that is raw and unfettered with no limitations?

Feedback Score
    "Unlimited data" comes with a cost. Video is the highest bandwidth hog, so it gets attention. Is not just the air bandwidth, it's the transport too from tower to the end point.

And nobody needs to watch 1440p or 2160p on a phone, no mater how good you think your eyesight is. Even on a TV is debatable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    "Unlimited data" comes with a cost. Video is the highest bandwidth hog, so it gets attention. Is not just the air bandwidth, it's the transport too from tower to the end point.

And nobody needs to watch 1440p or 2160p on a phone, no mater how good you think your eyesight is. Even on a TV is debatable.
    You're right. I don't watch 1440p on my phone, I tether.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Hypothetically, even if it were true that speed tests were somehow degrading the network experience, why would they throttle video? That isn't a logical response. Furthermore, why would they tell consumers that they are purchasing data that is raw and unfettered with no limitations?
    Forget it. It was a cheeky comment about how people who sit around running speed tests all day are ruining the network. Just like all of the people that have gone "hog wild" since unlimited came out and started streaming 200GB of video per month are also ruining the network.

I guess people are too shortsighted to see how they may actually BENEFIT from a 10GB throttle.

I wonder why Verizon decided to try a throttle? For fun? Hardly. To piss off their customers? Not likely. Perhaps they realized that they have some capacity issues and a throttle may improve things for everyone, including those that are whining and complaining about it? Maybe throttled speeds will cause erratic network behaviors and ridiculously low data speeds that people come on here and complain about (i.e. less than 1 Mbps) to improve.

But instead, everyone is going to whine and complain and force Verizon to remove the 10 Mbps cap instead of waiting to see if they may actually benefit. Maybe we all will. Maybe the network will perform better across the board for everyone.

10 Mbps is fast enough. I've had home internet that was slower than that in the past and I streamed HD movies just fine. I'd rather have a steady 10 Mbps than speeds ranging all over the place from 0.5 Mbps to 150 Mbps any day. You sure as heck can't stream HD video with some of the 0.5 and 1 Mbps speeds some people get during times of congestion. Maybe a throttle will help even things out for everyone.

The internet never ceases to make me realize just how shortsighted people can be.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast