Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 203

Thread: Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    782
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Forget it. It was a cheeky comment about how people who sit around running speed tests all day are ruining the network. Just like all of the people that have gone "hog wild" since unlimited came out and started streaming 200GB of video per month are also ruining the network.

    I guess people are too shortsighted to see how they may actually BENEFIT from a 10GB throttle.

    I wonder why Verizon decided to try a throttle? For fun? Hardly. To piss off their customers? Not likely. Perhaps they realized that they have some capacity issues and a throttle may improve things for everyone, including those that are whining and complaining about it? Maybe throttled speeds will cause erratic network behaviors and ridiculously low data speeds that people come on here and complain about (i.e. less than 1 Mbps) to improve.

    But instead, everyone is going to whine and complain and force Verizon to remove the 10 Mbps cap instead of waiting to see if they may actually benefit. Maybe we all will. Maybe the network will perform better across the board for everyone.

    10 Mbps is fast enough. I've had home internet that was slower than that in the past and I streamed HD movies just fine. I'd rather have a steady 10 Mbps than speeds ranging all over the place from 0.5 Mbps to 150 Mbps any day. You sure as heck can't stream HD video with some of the 0.5 and 1 Mbps speeds some people get during times of congestion. Maybe a throttle will help even things out for everyone.

    The internet never ceases to make me realize just how shortsighted people can be.
    If Verizon want's to throttle video speeds to 10Mb/s to help the network, then announce it to the public before and explain what and why they are doing it. 10Mb/s on Netflix or Youtube are plenty fast enough to still claim "video streams at HD". The REAL problem here is how Verizon always does things in a sneaky and UN-announced way thinking that the whole world is stupid and won't notice.
    The X-UIDH header crap that they still use unless you opt out of it was being used UN-announced for 2 years before some smart person discovered it. Verizon has a history of being underhanded and always trying to do what Verizon want's and screw the customer. That is why I think this is starting to blow up in such a big way.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,536
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon is 100% at fault. Just got off the phone with them and they told me that they have a feature called HD Video optimization that was accidental put on all almost all accounts starting back on the first week of July. They are trying to decide how to proceed right now and they said that they would call me back later today.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,228
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why is everyone overreacting?

    They claimed unlimited HD video streaming and 10mbps is more than enough for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus

    Verizon LTE B4+B2


    AT&T LTE B2+B17

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    611
    Feedback Score
    0
    @jkozlow3

    Well if it helps it would be immediately noticeable are your general internet speeds better today? Mine aren't.

    @ROLLTIDE

    Well since no one has ever even heard of the feature it's a pretty safe bet that no one would mind if they just "accidentally" removed it again.

    This accidentally seems awfully similar to how they were "accidentally" placing data blocks on the T1114 before they sent out the letters.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    611
    Feedback Score
    0
    @wiseguy321
    It affects everyone including grandfathered unlimited plan users.
    I don't think it will be a big issue for me. I think the big part here is that they didn't tell anyone they were doing it and now they've been caught are denying it. Very similar to the way comcast played it when they were caught throttling BT.

    Of course there's still some possibility that they aren't at fault but considering both YT and netflix are both affected I don't see how unless they are both using the same CDN.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Forget it. It was a cheeky comment about how people who sit around running speed tests all day are ruining the network. Just like all of the people that have gone "hog wild" since unlimited came out and started streaming 200GB of video per month are also ruining the network.

    I guess people are too shortsighted to see how they may actually BENEFIT from a 10GB throttle.

    I wonder why Verizon decided to try a throttle? For fun? Hardly. To piss off their customers? Not likely. Perhaps they realized that they have some capacity issues and a throttle may improve things for everyone, including those that are whining and complaining about it? Maybe throttled speeds will cause erratic network behaviors and ridiculously low data speeds that people come on here and complain about (i.e. less than 1 Mbps) to improve.

    But instead, everyone is going to whine and complain and force Verizon to remove the 10 Mbps cap instead of waiting to see if they may actually benefit. Maybe we all will. Maybe the network will perform better across the board for everyone.

    10 Mbps is fast enough. I've had home internet that was slower than that in the past and I streamed HD movies just fine. I'd rather have a steady 10 Mbps than speeds ranging all over the place from 0.5 Mbps to 150 Mbps any day. You sure as heck can't stream HD video with some of the 0.5 and 1 Mbps speeds some people get during times of congestion. Maybe a throttle will help even things out for everyone.

    The internet never ceases to make me realize just how shortsighted people can be.
    The point is not that they are implementing a throttle, so much as it was not and is not advertised. The Verizon plans are being advertised as having no throttling applied. When you call or chat with Verizon they are adamant that there is no throttle, but that is not the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Why is everyone overreacting?

    They claimed unlimited HD video streaming and 10mbps is more than enough for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For myself, I was sold a plan that was advertised as having no throttle. That was actually a selling point. Secondly, they are currently telling me that my plan does not have any throttle limits in place, but there is.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Verizon is 100% at fault. Just got off the phone with them and they told me that they have a feature called HD Video optimization that was accidental put on all almost all accounts starting back on the first week of July. They are trying to decide how to proceed right now and they said that they would call me back later today.
    They are telling me that the throttle isn't a Verizon issue despite it only occurring on native Verizon LTE without a VPN. :/

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,536
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Why is everyone overreacting?

    They claimed unlimited HD video streaming and 10mbps is more than enough for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't pay for a throttled connection and that will have buffering issues playing 4k

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,536
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    They are telling me that the throttle isn't a Verizon issue despite it only occurring on native Verizon LTE without a VPN. :/
    So why is amazon and Youtube also being throttled / filtered ? How ironic that AT&T did the exact same thing last week and didn't bother telling anybody or even giving you the option to turn stream saver off until this week for some accounts.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    So why is amazon and Youtube also being throttled / filtered ? How ironic that AT&T did the exact same thing last week and didn't bother telling anybody or even giving you the option to turn stream saver off until this week for some accounts.
    They blamed YouTube as well. I don't have Amazon video, so never checked or asked.

    It seems they have different stories though. Officially, Verizon has come out and said this is a Video Optimization "test", but consumers are still being told that there is no throttle. Also, a hard cap isn't really video optimization, but I suppose that is an argument for another day.

    https://arstechnica.com/information-...deo-to-10mbps/

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    4,965
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Why is everyone overreacting?

    They claimed unlimited HD video streaming and 10mbps is more than enough for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed 100%. 10mbps seems more than fair. I'm amaed by how much people can 'stream' and eat through data as it is, I guess they don't have a demanding job lol. I also agree with a lot of your previous posts in this thread. I won't bring them back up, but the whole 'pull myself up by my bootstraps, don't want to pay for people in the city" crowd are the first to complain about "what about us rural folk?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    I didn't pay for a throttled connection and that will have buffering issues playing 4k
    Is 4K really necessary for wireless streaming? I'm guessing you're using a hotspot and a large TV, and not a phone. I do agree though, you definitely did not agree to throttling and what Verizon is doing is not right. At least inform people and let them leave if need be. I mean for all we know people streaming 4K is really harming people in rural areas on tiered plans that respectively are probably paying way more per GB than those on unlimited. The 'throttle' seems fair, though completely botched in the roll out.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,633
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Is Throttling Netflix?

    Based on Verizon's official response of it being an "experiment" I think it's safe to assume the experiment was seeing if they could throttle streaming and not have anyone notice. Interestingly enough they make it sound like they're going to revert back to the way it was before.

    As someone who has watched bandwidth meters while videos are streaming I can understand what they're doing. They're trying to keep videos from loading all in one burst and using all available bandwidth at that moment. Many people don't realize that streaming video doesn't stream in real time, it loads into a buffer as fast as the connection can handle.

    So what they're doing makes sense, but they need to make clear what they're doing. I honestly wouldn't mind it too much if they increased it just a little to something like 15-20 Mbps and wrote it into their fine print somewhere that we can find it easily.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Based on Verizon's official response of it being an "experiment" I think it's safe to assume the experiment was seeing if they could throttle streaming and not have anyone notice. Interestingly enough they make it sound like they're going to revert back to the way it was before.

    As someone who has watched bandwidth meters while videos are streaming I can understand what they're doing. They're trying to keep videos from loading all in one burst and using all available bandwidth at that moment. Many people don't realize that streaming video doesn't stream in real time, it loads into a buffer as fast as the connection can handle.

    So what they're doing makes sense, but they need to make clear what they're doing. I honestly wouldn't mind it too much if they increased it just a little to something like 15-20 Mbps and wrote it into their fine print somewhere that we can find it easily.
    agreed. this is not necessarily a bad thing when you look at the bigger picture of network management, but some transparency and communication would be nice instead of hoping that no one would notice. interesting how this 'test' has been going on since the beginning of the month.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    350
    Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Why is everyone overreacting?

    They claimed unlimited HD video streaming and 10mbps is more than enough for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because they think if they aren't getting 20+ they can't stream anything..

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    350
    Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    I didn't pay for a throttled connection and that will have buffering issues playing 4k
    Aren't you on att anyway so this would be irrelevant to you? Or at least that's what it says next to your name.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Verizon already throttling Unlimted Data on LTE?
    By oldertwin in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 10:50 AM
  2. Ceo Of Verizon Is Back So Put Down All Your Rants And I Will Take Care Of Them Here:
    By CEO_VERIZON in forum Provider Rants, Kudos and Recommendations
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 04:09 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2002, 02:12 AM
  4. Reasons why Verizon is Great!
    By TamperTesting in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2002, 10:29 PM
  5. verizon is the best
    By one028 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-06-2002, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks