Thread: Congestion and new policies

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Congestion and new policies

So I am very curious about all the recent congestion complaints I've been seeing. Now that VZW has attempted to mitigate this with hotspot and video throttle, I wonder if those policies are making a difference.

My assumptions are that: 1) Video throttle is a market by market rollout. 2) Hotspot is system wide and was done sometime in the last week (based on the complaints that suddenly sprang up).

If those assumptions are true, then we can assume we've already gained all the benefit we can from the hotspot throttle. I hope I'm wrong about that assumption, though. However, video throttle is still rolling out (it's not in my market yet).

So here's the project I'm wondering if people can try: If you spot outrageous congestion issues on a tower you find yourself often connecting to, can you try fast.com at a time when the tower is experiencing normal speeds? I know one poster here mentioned bad speeds on a particular tower when he had received good speeds from that same tower just a few hours earlier (it was even the same sector, in that case). That's a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Is that tower even video throttled yet?

Maybe we can find out whether video throttling is improving anything. This test would at least give us some anecdotal data one way or the other.
    Last edited by weskeene; 09-25-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Additional clarity

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I used to see 50-60 download via Speed Test on two different devices at my home, not a congested area. One with The New Verizon Plan Large 8gb and the other with GUDP. Ever since Verizon brought back UDP I'm lucky to see 15 download.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It seems to me too that Verizon is getting worse for me here in Oklahoma. Drops to 1x/3G more often in my workplace. Performance more varying at home when not on Wi-Fi. Yesterday, in a test, lucky to get 1mb down. Today, 33mb down. 7mb up both times.

T-Mobile (on iPad) is fine at both places. If it was better at places in between, I would be using them for phone service.

Verizon was great on a road trip to Wyoming last August. Better than ATT was a couple years ago in the mountain states.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    imho that's mainly to do with tmobile having a fraction of the customers in your area as most people like you won't buy service through a company that doesn't work where they need it to.

Last I checked tmobile was about 4X faster than vzw, att and sprint in town but there are plenty of no service areas left.

They have the least reliable coverage of the four in this area but they are fast where they have it and it's not 2G. tmo skipped 3G in my area it's LTE, edge or nothing here.