Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What exactly does "closing apps" mean?

Feedback Score

What exactly does "closing apps" mean?

I see people refer to " closing apps" so your Android doesn't slow down, what exactly does that mean, when I'm done with an app I either hit the home button and go to another app or I just shut the screen off, does Android still really need more babysitting ?

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    http://www.androidtipsandhacks.com/a...t-of-the-time/

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I see people refer to " closing apps" so your Android doesn't slow down, wear exactly does that mean, when I'm done with an app I either hit the home button and go to another app or I just shut the screen off, does Android still really need more babysitting ?

Feedback Score
    Thanks t19

Feedback Score
    I guess clearing cache isn't the same thing!

Feedback Score
    So contrary to intuition, the article says it better to keep doing what you're doing and let Android close the apps when necessary - even I have a hard time swallowing that one

Thanks t19

Feedback Score
    No, it's not the same. App cache uses internal storage (even after an app is closed) vs running apps consuming RAM. You should be able to see how much cache apps are using from Phone settings - Apps - select the app - Settings - Storage - look at the cache used. YouTube and browsers can use a lot of cache.

Feedback Score
    Actually the term cache has different uses and here's another usage:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...processes.html

Feedback Score
    So yeah, it might be the same thing. Sorry for the confusion, but like I said cache can be referring to different things:
    https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...ground-process

Feedback Score
    When my phone gets sluggish, I use the battey usage setting and stop all stoppable running apps. My phone then perks right up. The android OS memory manager isn't perfect and can't tell when your phone gets sluggish...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    When my phone gets sluggish, I use the battey usage setting and stop all stoppable running apps. My phone then perks right up. The android OS memory manager isn't perfect and can't tell when your phone gets sluggish...
    I have no idea what that is, Doze is supposed to do that with no user intervention I thought, that's what I don't like about Android, way to fragmented.

Feedback Score
    In android 6.0.1 go to Settings -- Battery & power saving -- Battery usage -- then scroll down...

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to all contributors. This is a helpful thread and I wasn't aware of how Android handles apps. My question is: When I have a browser open but minimized, is it using data? Will Android automatically close it if there is no activity? I am on a very limited data plan (100MB/month) because I am around wifi all the time and don't really need much data. So when I'm out driving around disconnected from wifi is that "open" browser using even a little bit of my precious cell data?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Thanks to all contributors. This is a helpful thread and I wasn't aware of how Android handles apps. My question is: When I have a browser open but minimized, is it using data? Will Android automatically close it if there is no activity? I am on a very limited data plan (100MB/month) because I am around wifi all the time and don't really need much data. So when I'm out driving around disconnected from wifi is that "open" browser using even a little bit of my precious cell data?
    I'm wondering the same thing, that was supposed to be an advantage to Android, that it could multitask. If you have Android 6.0 and up Doze is supposed to be pretty effective.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi and Data are two different settings on your phone. You can set your phone to always use Wi-Fi by making sure Data is turned OFF in the settings menu. With both Wi-Fi and Data turned on, your phone will constantly poll to download email or be available to your browser. With a limited amount of data, and good access to Wi-Fi, you can safely turn off data. A Wi-fi only connection does not use data.

The browser never turns off if it is minimized, unless you turn off the phone.

Turn Data ON when you can't get a Wi-fi connection and you want to use your browser or check your email.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Turn off background data for all your apps except those that you want to run in the background. For example, your gmail or email app if you want to get notified that you have a new email.

You can turn background data off on most of your apps and they shouldn't use data unless you're actively using the app. The only app that I've been unable to turn off background data is the Android OS itself, but it uses very little data.

I also keep background data on for Google Play Services which allows you to use "Find My Phone" to find your phone.

If you turn off background data on most of your apps, you'll probably find that you will use a lot less than 100 MB per month of background data depending on how often you're away from WiFi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast