Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot activate WiFi Calling/HD Voice/VoLTE

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Cannot activate WiFi Calling/HD Voice/VoLTE

I'm tired of dropping to "4g" (HSPA) whenever I'm on a call. I want to be able to use VoLTE. I have an iPhone SE and live in NYC so I should be "eligible" to use it. Whenever I try to turn on Wi-Fi Calling/HD Voice/VoLTE, however, I get the message "Oops! We can't turn on Wi-Fi calling for your account. Think this message is a mistake? Ask the person who can make account changes to call us." I call them and they barely know what I'm talking about. I suspect I may need a new SIM card because my SIM card is very old? Alternatively, could it be that I can't use HD Voice/Wi-Fi Calling/VoLTE because my iPhone SE was purchased unlocked directly from Apple? Do you need to have an AT&T branded phone to use it?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by igarvey View Post
    I'm tired of dropping to "4g" (HSPA) whenever I'm on a call. I want to be able to use VoLTE. I have an iPhone SE and live in NYC so I should be "eligible" to use it. Whenever I try to turn on Wi-Fi Calling/HD Voice/VoLTE, however, I get the message "Oops! We can't turn on Wi-Fi calling for your account. Think this message is a mistake? Ask the person who can make account changes to call us." I call them and they barely know what I'm talking about. I suspect I may need a new SIM card because my SIM card is very old? Alternatively, could it be that I can't use HD Voice/Wi-Fi Calling/VoLTE because my iPhone SE was purchased unlocked directly from Apple? Do you need to have an AT&T branded phone to use it?
    A new sim card could help. You don't need an AT&T branded iPhone to use it. For the SE, just make sure you have model A1662 (US) and not model A1723 (Global).

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    It's either the SIM card or the phone is not showing correctly on your account. Call then back , I've had this happen when putting my sim in another device for a few hours. And I had to call to get my tethering and volte working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    see here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post

It's SIM card related or the carrier side

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suspect I may need a new SIM card because my SIM card is very old?
    The problem is very likely your old SIM card.

"To verify that your SIM Card is HD Voice compatible, in the SIM card number look for the digits 27 or higher in the 9th and 10th positions."

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    The problem is very likely your old SIM card.

"To verify that your SIM Card is HD Voice compatible, in the SIM card number look for the digits 27 or higher in the 9th and 10th positions."
    Thanks. Mine is 25, but I don't really know what that means. I had no idea SIM cards controlled such features.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Mine is 25, but I don't really know what that means. I had no idea SIM cards controlled such features.
    You can't activate VoLTE/HD Voice/Wi-Fi calling with your old SIM card. A new SIM card should fix you right up. And shame on AT&T CS for not spotting this right away!

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1046244

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    You can't activate VoLTE/HD Voice/Wi-Fi calling with your old SIM card. A new SIM card should fix you right up. And shame on AT&T CS for not spotting this right away!

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1046244
    Shame shame shame

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Got a new SIM card in a store and fixed it immediately. But I had to lie and say that someone over the phone tech support told me to get a new SIM card because they wouldn't believe me when I told them I needed a new sim card. (phone tech support didn't even know what i was talking about when I said I wanted to use WiFi Calling) sigh.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You should have said you escalated to HoFo technical support and they said you needed a new SIM card.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got this taken care of, and VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling/HD Voice are now active on your phone.

Device(s)
    nokia N75
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Jezz, we just went through this. I switched phones at the Apple Store and the tech just put my old sim in the new device. Luckily customer support figured out that I needed a new sim. Corp Store replaced it for me, no problem (except the wait).

Fast forward a few months and my wife does the same thing (gets a new iPhone from the Apple Store) I tell her before she goes, make sure they give you a new sim. Well, they don't and send her to the ATT Store in the mall. She gets there and finds out that somehow she is not an authorized account holder. So I call (or maybe did it online?) and make sure she is authorized. A week or two goes by and she goes into a Corp ATT Store and gets a green rep who tries to set up wifi/HD calling, gets the opps messages and tells her to go home and call. Keep in mind that from the very beginning, she knows she needs a new sim! I finally just had ATT send a new sim. Lesson: never leave an Apple or ATT store without having everything work! It doesn't help when a new rep has been trained to charge for replacement SIM cards. Like I'm going to pay for a sim to get a feature I pay for after 20 years!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Its not just the sim card or the iPhone, I contacted AT&T on this problem and they said that they were having problems with VoLTE and WiFi Calling at the moment and a unknown fix day...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    Its not just the sim card or the iPhone, I contacted AT&T on this problem and they said that they were having problems with VoLTE and WiFi Calling at the moment and a unknown fix day...
    Maybe they wanted to get you off the phone? Works perfectly fine for me and other devices

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Maybe they wanted to get you off the phone? Works perfectly fine for me and other devices

My Android phone is also having issues too.... It keeps making the phone connect to HSPA+ (4G)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast