Thread: Neskowin Oregon

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Neskowin Oregon

Just home from my annual family trip. Pleased to report Sprint has LTE in Neskowin -- they did last year too, but data speed was merely OK. Last year it was a 5x5 band 25 and 26. Sorry didn't look debug screen this year (too busy visiting), but was seeing 20Mb+/s down.

I have an ATT MiFi which saw similar speeds, but my wife (the actual Sprint customer) didn't need that this year. In the past we had Sprint native signal that was weak, and data speeds were sub 1Mb/s, mostly 3G.

I sometimes don't think Sprint makes any improvements because they can be slow in coming, but yes, this area has been much improved. I'd guess maybe band 41, but didn't look (again, sorry about that).

-Dan

PS: At this point Verizon, ATT, and Sprint do great in Neskowin, OR (beach). T-mobile sucks rocks. Our family with T-Mobile phones went from either no service to having to walk outside to make a call. This is pretty much on-par with my experience with T-Mobile in Oregon generally-- a distant 4th place.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Good to hear Sprint improving in the areas that matter to you.

I remember former Sprint mod and friend (ducati.. may he rest in peace) saying T-Mobile was pretty terrible up there back in the day. My brother lives in Beaverton and works in Portland and claims T-Mobile is way better than AT&T was at least in the city.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I was a voicestream customer for a time and they were solid in the pdx metro area. Here in Oregon, rural Oregon, not much has changed. Band 12 has done little. I agree T-mobile is good in- town.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed Sprint has been deploying 2nd and even 3rd 5*5 LTE channels in many areas around WA and OR... I believe they are aggregating them together... I've noticed similar experiences in a number of areas where they haven't installed Band 41 or it is too weak... It's not too bad for more rural areas...

Now if only they will get the Band 26 deployed up here in WA to fill in some holes. In OR they have done a great job with it.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have to agree in that T-Mobile does has work to do in rural areas. Sprint has improved their LTE and added it to some towers on i5. I do have to say though in Portland T-Mobile defiantly kicks AT&T's butt in LTE speeds since some areas AT&T is around 500 Kbps now on download maximum.

One note: I really hate Sprint's voice clarity as it does sound really garbled but T-Mobile's sounds very good and AT&T's HSPA+ network at night has really clear calling.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I was a voicestream customer for a time and they were solid in the pdx metro area. Here in Oregon, rural Oregon, not much has changed. Band 12 has done little. I agree T-mobile is good in- town.
    Band 12, like band 25, is quite capable of delivering rural coverage. They just have to do it, as it was done in N. Michigan. In some ways, T-Mobile is a victim of their own engineering team. They deploy LTE very conservatively, using the minimum power level to achieve the necessary footprint and they refuse to deploy until they get backhaul to support the desired data speeds. They don't get that sometimes just making a call or sending a text is good enough.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Band 12, like band 25, is quite capable of delivering rural coverage. They just have to do it, as it was done in N. Michigan. In some ways, T-Mobile is a victim of their own engineering team. They deploy LTE very conservatively, using the minimum power level to achieve the necessary footprint and they refuse to deploy until they get backhaul to support the desired data speeds. They don't get that sometimes just making a call or sending a text is good enough.
    That's exactly right. Last time I talked to a T-Mobile engineer he confirmed that. He said tmobile wants to give the customer a great experience and tries to avoid over promising and under delivering while being conservative

It sounded like tmobile likes to get it right the first time which is good in one way but can sometimes delay stuff

He also said their 600mhz build should be a lot more aggressive since they want to really expand with top notch rural coverage in places they can only dream of covering now. Exciting times ahead for sure