Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Headed for Massive MIMO Deployments in 2018, Four Carrier Aggregation

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sprint Headed for Massive MIMO Deployments in 2018, Four Carrier Aggregation

https://www.wirelessweek.com/

Name:  sprint store  JeepersMedia via Foter.com -CC BY.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  52.9 KB

In its quest for gigabit LTE, Sprint is working toward four carrier aggregation and commercial deployments of massive MIMO technology next year.

In a recent blog post, Sprint CTO John Saw noted the carrier is gearing up for rollouts of four-channel carrier aggregation, as well as higher order and massive MIMO, and 256-QAM on its network. Saw indicated commercial deployments of 64T64R radios in cities across the country are expected to begin in 2018.

A Sprint spokeswoman said the upgrade to four-channel carrier aggregation will be made via a software upgrade. The massive MIMO deployments are expected to offer up to eight times more capacity, she added, and will be made strategically in specific locations where more capacity is needed. That means high-traffic areas will be the focus, but massive MIMO could also be used in other locations, the spokeswoman noted.

The Sprint representative also reiterated the carrier’s massive MIMO upgrade will be compatible with any LTE smartphone that uses Release 9 or above technology.

But these deployments may not translate to a huge CapEx spike. According to the spokeswoman, “the makeup of our CapEx spending changes year to year, and each new program or technology isn’t necessarily additive to total spend.”

The moves come as Sprint pushes for gigabit LTE speeds on its network to meet the demands of unlimited data.

Saw and Sprint COO Guenther Ottendorfer have previously reported gigabit-class LTE will require at least 4x4 MIMO and 256-QAM alongside carrier aggregation technology. The carrier already has three-channel carrier aggregation live in more than 100 markets, and a new Motorola handset released this week – the moto z2 force edition – will be the first on the carrier’s network to support the trifecta needed for gigabit-class LTE speeds.

Back in March, Sprint used a prototype of the Motorola device to show off the carrier’s ability to deliver speeds of well over 600 Mbps. That demonstration utilized 4x4 MIMO, 256-QAM, and three carrier aggregation at a stadium in New Orleans.

But those speeds could get even faster if the carrier’s recent massive MIMO tests are any indication.

Last month, Sprint reported it was able to achieve speeds of 330 Mbps on a single 20 MHz channel using 32x32 MIMO and beamforming in South Korea. The carrier at the time indicated it will have the ability to hit speeds of 3-6 Gbps using 64x64 radios.

Sprint’s work on four-channel carrier aggregation is also significant given its massive trove of 2.5 GHz spectrum. The carrier currently holds more than 160 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum across the top 100 U.S. markets, leaving plenty of room to aggregate 80 MHz. At CTIA’s 2016 Super Mobility show, Ottendorfer said Sprint’s ability to do intra-band aggregation rather than inter-band aggregation will yield a better, more consistent customer experience.

Sprint rival AT&T is also hard at work on four carrier aggregation, reporting last month that it is “actively testing” the technology with plans to deploy in the “near future.”

In its own announcement around the moto z2 force edition, Verizon also mentioned its own plans to deploy gigabit-class LTE service later this year. The carrier did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.wirelessweek.com/

Name:  sprint store  JeepersMedia via Foter.com -CC BY.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  52.9 KB

In its quest for gigabit LTE, Sprint is working toward four carrier aggregation and commercial deployments of massive MIMO technology next year.

In a recent blog post, Sprint CTO John Saw noted the carrier is gearing up for rollouts of four-channel carrier aggregation, as well as higher order and massive MIMO, and 256-QAM on its network. Saw indicated commercial deployments of 64T64R radios in cities across the country are expected to begin in 2018.

A Sprint spokeswoman said the upgrade to four-channel carrier aggregation will be made via a software upgrade. The massive MIMO deployments are expected to offer up to eight times more capacity, she added, and will be made strategically in specific locations where more capacity is needed. That means high-traffic areas will be the focus, but massive MIMO could also be used in other locations, the spokeswoman noted.

The Sprint representative also reiterated the carrier’s massive MIMO upgrade will be compatible with any LTE smartphone that uses Release 9 or above technology.

But these deployments may not translate to a huge CapEx spike. According to the spokeswoman, “the makeup of our CapEx spending changes year to year, and each new program or technology isn’t necessarily additive to total spend.”

The moves come as Sprint pushes for gigabit LTE speeds on its network to meet the demands of unlimited data.

Saw and Sprint COO Guenther Ottendorfer have previously reported gigabit-class LTE will require at least 4x4 MIMO and 256-QAM alongside carrier aggregation technology. The carrier already has three-channel carrier aggregation live in more than 100 markets, and a new Motorola handset released this week – the moto z2 force edition – will be the first on the carrier’s network to support the trifecta needed for gigabit-class LTE speeds.

Back in March, Sprint used a prototype of the Motorola device to show off the carrier’s ability to deliver speeds of well over 600 Mbps. That demonstration utilized 4x4 MIMO, 256-QAM, and three carrier aggregation at a stadium in New Orleans.

But those speeds could get even faster if the carrier’s recent massive MIMO tests are any indication.

Last month, Sprint reported it was able to achieve speeds of 330 Mbps on a single 20 MHz channel using 32x32 MIMO and beamforming in South Korea. The carrier at the time indicated it will have the ability to hit speeds of 3-6 Gbps using 64x64 radios.

Sprint’s work on four-channel carrier aggregation is also significant given its massive trove of 2.5 GHz spectrum. The carrier currently holds more than 160 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum across the top 100 U.S. markets, leaving plenty of room to aggregate 80 MHz. At CTIA’s 2016 Super Mobility show, Ottendorfer said Sprint’s ability to do intra-band aggregation rather than inter-band aggregation will yield a better, more consistent customer experience.

Sprint rival AT&T is also hard at work on four carrier aggregation, reporting last month that it is “actively testing” the technology with plans to deploy in the “near future.”

In its own announcement around the moto z2 force edition, Verizon also mentioned its own plans to deploy gigabit-class LTE service later this year. The carrier did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I'm interested in seeing how 4XCA plays out. Does it mean a 4th B41 or just 3 B41 with B25.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    I'm interested in seeing how 4XCA plays out. Does it mean a 4th B41 or just 3 B41 with B25.

Definitely 4xB41.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Without a CapEx increase I can't see their network getting any better anytime soon. Their competitors are spending many times what they are and it shows... it really shows.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Definitely 4xB41.
    It is B41 FDD CA other than the 25+25 they are doing is planned

Feedback Score
    Without a CapEx increase I can't see their network getting any better anytime soon. Their competitors are spending many times what they are and it shows... it really shows.
    They have a capex just not high enough. They are adding more small cells than people really know about.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    They have a capex just not high enough. They are adding more small cells than people really know about.

Do we have any evidence of that in any market in the US? Not sure how they're getting them for so cheap. I'm sure the other 3 would like to know.

Feedback Score
    Do we have any evidence of that in any market in the US? Not sure how they're getting them for so cheap. I'm sure the other 3 would like to know.
    You have a s4gru account. There's pics in the forums. Their are some in Minnesota. None of the carriers have as many here as they wanna, since baby boomers slow down the process.

Feedback Score
    While I'm at it do you have any evidence of vzw and att small cells? So you go the evidence route.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon small cells are all over the place around me. There are plenty of photos in the Verizon small cell thread. They definitely seem to be the most aggressive in terms of not only small cells builds but existing small cell upgrades.

The problem with Sprint is that they decided to cheap out and turn over deployments to companies like Mobilitie that sold them a bad bill of goods and can't deliver due to their inexperience in the majority of markets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Verizon small cells are all over the place around me. There are plenty of photos in the Verizon small cell thread. They definitely seem to be the most aggressive in terms of not only small cells builds but existing small cell upgrades.

The problem with Sprint is that they decided to cheap out and turn over deployments to companies like Mobilitie that sold them a bad bill of goods and can't deliver due to their inexperience in the majority of markets.
    True vzw has done the most. I live in Minnesota where even there small cells haven't been that fast cause of it being blocked sometimes. Some law makers are trying to get it going faster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post

I'm not sure where you get that from. Sprint Small cells are Ericsson Nokia and Samsung. Sprint needs a buyer to get more money, just like TMO did from att. If it wasn't for att, TMobile will be in the same shape..

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure where you get that from. Sprint Small cells are Ericsson Nokia and Samsung. Sprint needs a buyer to get more money, just like TMO did from att. If it wasn't for att, TMobile will be in the same shape..

Mobilitie isn't an equipment manufacturer, they're paid to acquire a build the sites for Sprint. Ericsson, Nokia, and Samsung are just equipment vendors.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    While I'm at it do you have any evidence of vzw and att small cells? So you go the evidence route.

Nowhere did I claim VZ or T was doing small cell adds... Verizon definitely has them all over the country (Chicago and NYC are prime examples...) and AT&T has C-RAN/small cell deployment slated for late this year.

AT&T and Verizon are investing in carrier adds and macro adds which is what I'm talking about anyway. Sprint is in a distant 4th place for speeds and small cells should be fixing that... if they were deployed on any reasonable scale. They have 80 MHz of spectrum deployed in most markets with the least amount of customers. Wonder what's holding them back...

Feedback Score
    Nowhere did I claim VZ or T was doing small cell adds... Verizon definitely has them all over the country (Chicago and NYC are prime examples...) and AT&T has C-RAN/small cell deployment slated for late this year.

AT&T and Verizon are investing in carrier adds and macro adds which is what I'm talking about anyway. Sprint is in a distant 4th place for speeds and small cells should be fixing that... if they were deployed on any reasonable scale. They have 80 MHz of spectrum deployed in most markets with the least amount of customers. Wonder what's holding them back...
    B41 is only 60 mhz right now. I wish it was 80mhz. You also now it's Money holding them back. Their doing what they can with their limited money resources. Comcast Warren Buffett etc would change that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast