Thread: Porting back to Sprint from AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Porting back to Sprint from AT&T

I left Sprint about 2 years ago for AT&T due to data reliability in my area. I've tried the free for a year promo and it seems to be much better.

I'll be porting back an iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 A1660 both compatible with B41.

My main question is, will the service I experience on the free for a year be any worse than if I were to pay for a Sprint plan right now?

If no, then it would seem foolish to pay for service when I could just save that money and put it towards whatever next gen phone is...

Thanks...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I left Sprint about 2 years ago for AT&T due to data reliability in my area. I've tried the free for a year promo and it seems to be much better.

My main question is, will the service I experience on the free for a year be any worse than if I were to pay for a Sprint plan right now?

If no, then it would seem foolish to pay for service when I could just save that money and put it towards whatever next gen phone is...

Thanks...
    There may be some advantages to being on the paid plan. For example, you can enrol in Premium International Experience and make free calls to Canada and Mexico. That is not available on the Free Plan.

Also, there are some differences in Upgrade eligibility timing. I am not sure if there are minor differences in Roaming allowance or Hotspot allowance or Deprioritization. But overall, I would get on the free plan for a year, sure, because it is close to the Paid one, even if not quite equal.

But I think if you call them they should be able to clarify the differences, since they will be motivated to try to sell the paid plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post

Thanks...
    No the point of this is to get people to try out their Network.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Do some road trips and let us know how pervasive LTE coverage is along the major roadways in comparison to the others. Hope it works out for you.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Do some road trips and let us know how pervasive LTE coverage is along the major roadways in comparison to the others. Hope it works out for you.
    Actually just got back from a rural road trip. Along the major interstates and highways it seems Sprint is decent and I have LTE for the most part. The times I fell to 3G, the speeds were 1-2Mbps.

In rural areas I found myself roaming on AT&T LTE with speeds throttled to around 120Kbps.

Some things I've found are that in my general travels, T-Mobile is nearly on par or better than AT&T in suburban and semi-rural areas. There are a few places where AT&T and Verizon only worked, Sprint had 1x800, and T-Mobile was No Signal.

Sprint LTE is generally slow but with acceptable speeds on average of 5-10MBps.

AT&T seems to fall back to slow HSPA+ quite often lately, where T-Mobile and Sprint would stay on LTE.

I would honestly rate T-Mobile and AT&T on par for semi-rural areas and T-Mobile being better in urban areas.

Sprint LTE in areas where 800MHz has been deployed, LTE was more pervasive than AT&T throughout between Austin and Birmingham along the major highways.

For being free service, it's good.

TL;DR - If you are in an urban/suburban area and don't enjoy speed test pissing contests, Sprint is surprisingly usable. Call quality is decent, and data speeds are generally enough to stream HD video and lossless Hi-Fi tidal. If you venture to rural areas, expect roaming with limited data.