Thread: Open Market ISIM Device Activation Issues on Sprint BYOFD

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score

Open Market ISIM Device Activation Issues on Sprint BYOFD

I'm starting a thread for the folks with Open Market ISIM device activation issues. This currently affects the Galaxy S8/S8+, Moto Z2, and Moto E4.

The click-it ticket team keeps refusing to add/activate many of these devices, citing a SKU mismatch that leads them to conclude they are Sprint Prepaid devices. Obviously the Moto E4 hits this dead-end the most, since past Moto E's (mostly the Moto E2) were Sprint Prepaid exclusive devices, not Open Market BYOFD handsets.

Sprint clearly needs to update their MEID ranges and registry for these devices.

The only firm workaround I have gotten from (ex) Sprint veterans is to find a store manager with DNA2 admin rights to manually add the device. There they can verify in-person the device is the Open Market version.

Off-record, the reason the click-it team is closing these tickets, is that I was told they're partially aware of the issue - but concerned people might use the exploit to activate Axon 7's, physical hotspots, or other unauthorized devices, and then use CSIMs to sneak them onto the network. Personally, I think this is a weak concern if true - since they would just have to confirm the ICCID is an ISIM. But it underscores how Sprint's animus towards foreign devices is costing them in terms of customer quality and service.

Please share this thread URL with Sprint Care on social media, forums, and public relations if you are having the issue. More reach = faster solution.

And yes, I ran into this issue with my own Open Market Moto E4, bought during the Best Buy anti-Prime Day fire sale... it's very much unlocked as I've used it with AT&T and Verizon.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Okay, couple updates.

Good news - I got my E4 added to the Sprint system. The policy apparently is you must go to a store and have an employee inspect the device, confirm it is on the BYOFD list, and then manually add it via DNA2. This it to prevent Axon 7 and other non-approved devices from being snuck in.

Bad news - The Moto E4, Z2, and Galaxy S8 may not be elegible on the free plan. You are only allowed to activate a BYOFD device on the approved list of the free year promo devices. Later you can swap in a Sprint device. But, here's the sticking point, ISIM BYOFD devices are unclear. If you try to activate one today - it may kick you off your free year plan.

I can see Sprint's logic here a bit. They want people converting from Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T. If you are bringing an open market ISIM device, you probably aren't doing that. And if you do lose/break your foreign carrier device, they want you to switch to a Sprint-branded device, not an ISIM device that will make it easier to port out at the end of the free year.

What bugs me is that this is not mentioned anywhere, except probably deep in an internal/NDA Sprint policy document.

I do give Sprint huge tactician points if this is why my E4 won't activate.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Open Market ISIM Device Activation Issues on Sprint BYOFD

What type of SIM does the Moto G5 Plus use?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    What type of SIM does the Moto G5 Plus use?
    The well-paid radio engineer next to me says CSIM, as the G5 is a cut-down Moto Z1.

Have no idea what the G5's fate is regarding the Free Plan though. In theory it would be blocked alongside the ISIM phones since it was not sold by AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon directly.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    The well-paid radio engineer next to me says CSIM, as the G5 is a cut-down Moto Z1.

Have no idea what the G5's fate is regarding the Free Plan though. In theory it would be blocked alongside the ISIM phones since it was not sold by AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon directly.
    I activated a Moto G5 Plus on the free plan and it's been working just fine, even picked up B41 once. I'm already into the second billing cycle and the plan has stuck. Hope that helps some.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel XL, OnePlus 5, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score

That makes no sense, because I'm currently on the free year plan, and I ported in with a Nexus 6p, which I believe wasn't sold by any of the major carriers. That phone is on their BYOFD list.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

The G5 Plus is on the list for the Free Plan promo and I activated one no issue.