Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Verizon sending letters to LTE in Rural America users concerning termination (letter

Feedback Score
    This only affects people "roaming" on Appalachian Wireless and only affect like 800 lines total.

Feedback Score
    I live in east Ky and have Verizon but have not gotten the letter yet and have 4 lines and my 4 phone have not seen an actual Verizon signal in almost a year and we use a average of around 60 gigs per month. But on the other hand I hate Appalachian wireless and almost wish I would hurry up and get the letter so I could go to At&t they just recently built a tower on the mountain less than a 1/2 mike from me. Appalachian’s LTE speed is going down hill bad over the past 8 or 9 months, but I really think they are restricting Verizon phones cause I’ve seen some Speedtest’s from native phone that are much much faster, I just want out I guess..

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    US Cellular is probably giving them a much better roaming rate then some of these other carriers.
    Unlikely, since Verizon limits US Cellular roaming to 1x. They don't even allow 3G or LTE.

That also doesn't explain why Verizon advertises all domestic roaming as native coverage. They don't even tell you that you're roaming.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    This only affects people "roaming" on Appalachian Wireless and only affect like 800 lines total.
    Why just Appalachian Wireless?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew110 View Post
    Why just Appalachian Wireless?
    Good question. There has to be something going on, something these users are doing, a change in policy from Appalachian, a change in policy from Verizon, something we don't know about yet, that is causing this issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    Local carriers I know aren’t crying foul. They make more from Verizon customers (per person) than their own customers. They literally have no risk involved. No billing or bad debt problems. Just a guaranteed fat check from Verizon.
    Do the local carriers not pay anything to Verizon for participation in the program? Any spectrum usage fees? Any monthly fees? Any roaming fees? You make it sound like it's a completely one-way thing, Verizon only paying the local carrier, when I have serious doubts that that is true.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Do the local carriers not pay anything to Verizon for participation in the program? Any spectrum usage fees? Any monthly fees? Any roaming fees? You make it sound like it's a completely one-way thing, Verizon only paying the local carrier, when I have serious doubts that that is true.
    I never said it was a one way thing. Appalachian has a 50/50 roaming policy to protect itself and most people from this area who leave, do so for work and never come back this switching carriers. So I would assume this is a much larger issue for Verizon than it is for Appalachian. People here use Verizon for aforementioned reasons instead of the local carrier.
    Current Device: Black iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    Unlikely, since Verizon limits US Cellular roaming to 1x. They don't even allow 3G or LTE.

That also doesn't explain why Verizon advertises all domestic roaming as native coverage. They don't even tell you that you're roaming.
    Yeah that does sound kind of shady on Verizon's part.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    justinkk2005 seems to have the best handle on the subject. Verizon is bleeding revenue in some of the LRA roaming markets and trying to put a tourniquet on it. They have more customers roaming on the LRA carriers than the carriers are sending to their markets so more money is flowing out to the LRA markets than is coming in. I am not sure though why they seem to be concentrating on Appalachian unless they have a really heavy roaming base there. The truth is that Appalachian probably makes more on these customers than they do if they had signed up with Appalachian. Verizon is covering the cost of the data devices, the cost of the support, and the cost of billing and mailing. Appalachian is just sitting there watching Verizon customers roam on their network and waiting for Verizon to send them a nice check for the services.

Feedback Score
    If Verizon made customers pay for roaming (like most cell users now have to do), that would be better than turning them away. And that would solve Verizon having to put "a finger in a bursting dike" syndrome. That's my 2˘ worth.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    If Verizon made customers pay for roaming (like most cell users now have to do), that would be better than turning them away. And that would solve Verizon having to put "a finger in a bursting dike" syndrome. That's my 2˘ worth.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app
    Domestic roaming is free with all carriers? Where are T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint charging for domestic roaming?

Feedback Score
    IMHO all they really need to do is show on the phone that it's roaming with that little triangle instead of people getting surprised later.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    IMHO all they really need to do is show on the phone that it's roaming with that little triangle instead of people getting surprised later.
    They’d have to change the b13 MNC because right now they use 311-480 in these areas.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post

i left Verizon in 2013 for that very reason. i can confirm that they still do have only Extended 1X. i live in one of USCC's markets and about 7 miles from Verizon's native service. both AT&T and Sprint has overbuilt them in SE WV and T-Mobile is working on it as well. they will have to allow Extended LTE in a couple years when Verizon shuts down the 2G and 3G network.

Sent from my LG-V930 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    US Cellular is probably giving them a much better roaming rate then some of these other carriers.
    i currently live in one of USCC's markets in SE WV and they still only allow Extended 1x which is useless except for voice calls. but you can stay on their network for as long as you want. i was roaming for about 3 months until i left Verizon for Sprint then to AT&T. if you have internet and a Verizon Network Extender you can actually get a native Verizon signal but then again i am about 7 miles from a Verizon tower.

Sent from my LG-V930 using HoFo mobile app

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast