Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Verizon sending letters to LTE in Rural America users concerning termination (letter

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Verizon should be buying out their LRA partners not giving everyone the boot. That would be the smarter thing to do in the long run but they're looking very short term right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they worked something out later on and turned right around and offered these people service again. They like to jerk people around like that. (Look at the purge they did from gUDP last winter then turned around and offered UDP again).
    This partner in Maine was formed just to build this LRA network (32 towers or so) exclusively for Verizon. If Verizon pulls these customers, the provider will have to find other carriers to use their towers to make a go of it. This being a very rural area, it's hard to say what will happen. It kills me to think that these 2 year old sites could be deactivated if no one is willing to carry the burden of maintenance and operation because Verizon bailed.....

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rwherman View Post
    This partner in Maine was formed just to build this LRA network (32 towers or so) exclusively for Verizon. If Verizon pulls these customers, the provider will have to find other carriers to use their towers to make a go of it. This being a very rural area, it's hard to say what will happen. It kills me to think that these 2 year old sites could be deactivated if no one is willing to carry the burden of maintenance and operation because Verizon bailed.....
    On the other hand, why should Verizon continue to serve customers that aren't profitable for them. Even if the local users not living in the native Verizon service area are booted, hopefully the system will still be available for roamers (just don't roam TOO much).

Feedback Score
    Verizon should be buying out their LRA partners not giving everyone the boot. That would be the smarter thing to do in the long run but they're looking very short term right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they worked something out later on and turned right around and offered these people service again. They like to jerk people around like that. (Look at the purge they did from gUDP last winter then turned around and offered UDP again).
    Probably did a cost/benefit analysis found saw it cheaper to allow a roaming than maintain a network, stores, customer service, rural construction, emergency crews, etc.. Although, I was under the impression the rural agreements were reciprocal, perhaps its time for Verizon to re-negotiate terms.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser View Post
    For those affected by this, I presume that Verizon's coverage maps show your area as covered by Verizon.

Is Verizon going to update their coverage maps to reflect that they will not allow customers in the affected areas who actually use data?
    They already have. Their coverage map shows "Extended LTE" for these areas once again.

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Although, I was under the impression the rural agreements were reciprocal, perhaps its time for Verizon to re-negotiate terms.
    Me too. That's how the LTEiRA agreement was supposed to work. Verizon gives these small rural carriers spectrum, the rural carrier builds out a network, and in exchange both carriers get a reciprocal roaming deal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where’s @ggore? If Verizon wasn’t paying those large roaming fees, why would they be doing this nationwide?

The roaming checks to AW alone was in the millions per month. I can’t imagine how much was spent nationwide.
    Current Device: Black iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    Where’s @ggore? If Verizon wasn’t paying those large roaming fees, why would they be doing this nationwide?

The roaming checks to AW alone was in the millions per month. I can’t imagine how much was spent nationwide.
    This is most definitely going to hurt the local carriers more than anything. They're probably more mad than the customers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon sending letters to LTE in Rural America users concerning termination ...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew110 View Post
    This is most definitely going to hurt the local carriers more than anything. They're probably more mad than the customers.
    It will. I can see it slowing down their expansion too. If you look at the FCC ASR in Kentucky, Appalachian Wireless by far has more pending sites for here than any other carrier. There are always 9-10 new pending.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Update: Most friends who got the letter are going to AT&T for the following reasons:

1.) Keep their numbers (can’t port in to local carrier)
    2.) WiFi Calling

So is this really helping the local carrier? I say no.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Update: Most friends who got the letter are going to AT&T for the following reasons:

1.) Keep their numbers (can’t port in to local carrier)
    2.) WiFi Calling

So is this really helping the local carrier? I say no.
    Figured most people wouldn’t want to lose their number.

Do the letters affect everyone on the account? Or just the people who roam?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew110 View Post
    Figured most people wouldn’t want to lose their number.

Do the letters affect everyone on the account? Or just the people who roam?
    Those who roam. My wife's number was listed but mine wasn't oddly enough.

Anyways, another update:

Just received two brand spanking new Galaxy Note 8.0's courtsey of Verizon. LOL

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon sending letters to LTE in Rural America users concerning termination ...

Verizon made the news in Montana over this now:
    http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...ers/663146001/

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...ces/666350001/

According to the second article many of these people have NOWHERE TO GO because the regional carrier they were "roaming" on all these years isn't accepting new customers.

Also pay note to the duration people have been with Verizon. They've clearly been selling roaming services as native for LONG before LRA came into existence.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon made the news in Montana over this now:

According to the second article many of these people have NOWHERE TO GO because the regional carrier they were "roaming" on all these years isn't accepting new customers.

Also pay note to the duration people have been with Verizon. They've clearly been selling roaming services as native for LONG before LRA came into existence.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
    This is so strange. As the article says:

Customers said they never knew Verizon was using other providers' towers
    Verizon phones will display "Verizon LTE" when roaming, and the coverage map said "Verizon LTE" until very recently, yet Verizon's letters seem to be blaming these customers for not knowing better. How could they have known they were roaming if Verizon literally promoted this coverage as their own?

It sounds like Verizon isn't notifying the regional providers of this either, since all of them so far have said that they're as shocked as customers are that Verizon is doing this.

“We’re providing advance notice to these customers so they have plenty of time to port their wireless number to another company before their Verizon wireless service ends," Dorsch said. “We regularly review accounts with data use that primarily takes place outside of the Verizon network.”
    Not much notice considering these customers have been "roaming" for years without a peep from Verizon until now.

Any claim from Verizon that this is about the roaming costing them too much is BS. They have $250 billion in the bank and make billions each year. Their CEO made $17.5 million last year, and they're worried about a few thousand people roaming? Give me a break. Verizon could easily afford to pay for that roaming.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Those who roam. My wife's number was listed but mine wasn't oddly enough.

Anyways, another update:

Just received two brand spanking new Galaxy Note 8.0's courtsey of Verizon. LOL
    You know you're costing them big money when they're willing to give you $1800 in free phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ic2dg5 View Post
    This is so strange. As the article says:

Verizon phones will display "Verizon LTE" when roaming, and the coverage map said "Verizon LTE" until very recently, yet Verizon's letters seem to be blaming these customers for not knowing better. How could they have known they were roaming if Verizon literally promoted this coverage as their own?

It sounds like Verizon isn't notifying the regional providers of this either, since all of them so far have said that they're as shocked as customers are that Verizon is doing this.

Not much notice considering these customers have been "roaming" for years without a peep from Verizon until now.

Any claim from Verizon that this is about the roaming costing them too much is BS. They have $250 billion in the bank and make billions each year. Their CEO made $17.5 million last year, and they're worried about a few thousand people roaming? Give me a break. Verizon could easily afford to pay for that roaming.
    Not only this but they've been offering roam like home in many of these places long before LRA existed, even through gUDP. People have used gUDP as home internet in these places for years and never got canned maybe until last November when they first started that purge. Of course now it's literally everyone. It's all about cost cutting to please the investors, and little to do with excessive users.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe someone at Verizon realized that it wasn't profitable to pay out roaming checks for customers who are hardly ever on the native network.

I remember part of LTE in Rural America was that Verizon provided the spectrum but the local carriers provided the equipment (including class 5 switches), cell sites, customer phones, and their own branding.

While it wasn't explicit, I don't think Verizon ever intended to have perma-roam customers. They don't even offer local numbers in those areas.

I'm not sure how their systems were setup, but could you just give your real physical address when setting up new service and the system would accept it? Or did you have to provide an in-network address?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast