Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Call Ukraine Much?

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Does Anyone Else Call Ukraine Much?

We had been using Google Voice mostly (10 cents/min)to call the mother in law, but the last couple of times it doesn't ring on her end

So we went back to Lyca paygo (t mo) which is about 11 cents/min and happened to notice that unlimited calling to Ukraine is now included on all their plans, even the $19, but only on Kyivstar.

That doesn't quite help us as the MIL is on another carrier's landline, but the next time the wife goes over I think we will get her switched over to Kyivstar and switch ourselves over to Lyca.

Just an FYI, unless someone knows an even better deal. I would love to just get MIL a data bucket and let them use Hangouts etc , but the wife thinks she wouldn't be able to use a smartphone. Anyway, it will sure beat the almost a dollar a minute we were paying 19 years ago.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Feedback Score
    Use WhatsApp and your problem(s) are over. Free all the way around with voice, text, mms, video, and video messaging.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Sure, but MIL has a POTS phone. If I could have convinced the wife to get the MIL to learn how to use a smartphone years ago, we could have saved hundreds of dollars and they could have done all that cool stuff.

Even better, in Ukraine certain similar apps (one called BIP on Life cell) incur no data hit to the user. But convincing either of these two to change has been impossible up to now. I am hoping we may be able to get MIL to work with something like a Jitterbug or other simple dumbphone.

Feedback Score
    I am calling to Ukraine to landlines and mobile phones frequently and I do have solutions (more than 1!) for frequent callers from USA (technically, from any location, but from USA it is much simpler) to Ukraine.

My problem is very similar to yours: elderly relatives and friends of my parents that can not use smartphone and sometimes they even do not have cellphone (worst case scenario).

In general, there are few cheap ways to call Ukraine (most of them are probably irrelevant to your MIL, but you can try).

1. If your MIL has cell phone from Kyivstar / Kievstar, then calls from Lycamobile USA on pay-as-you-go plan cost 3 c/min! Just 3c/min without any additional charge. You do not have to subscribe to monthly plan. If you do subscribe to any monthly plan, calls to Kyivstar are free. I understand that your MIL has only POTS, but it may be a good idea to buy her Kievstar SIM and simple cell phone with large keys/buttons. Mobile services in Ukraine are very cheap if we are talking mostly about inbound calls, but outbound also cheap (it will not be a problem for you/your wife to pay no more than $5/month in worst case scenario, in most cases it will be $1-2/month)

1a. If you are OK of switching your wife to Lycamobile monthly plan (any monthly plan starting from $19/month), calls to Ukrainian landlines cost 6 c/min. Still cheaper than Skype's 11 c/min + 2 cents connection fee .

2. This week Lycamobile starts the service in Ukraine as MVNO (not active yet, they only started to send first SIM cards to their first subscribers, even their CS number is not active yet. Their website is http://www.lycamobile.ua/en/ . They have English, Ukrainian and Russian version of the site). Calls from Lycamobile USA to any Lycamobile phones in the world are free in theory. I will check in few days if it applies to Lycamobile Ukraine.

The problem of this solution is that Lycamobile is MVNO of 3mob that has smallest network among Ukrainian mobile operators. It uses national roaming on other Ukrainian cellular networks, but it is not clear what kind of reception/network coverage your MIL is going to have in her apartment or home. If she lives in large city, she will be OK, if not, nobody knows about reception. But Lycamobile SIM card is free, so, she can insert it into cell phone and to see the bars even without actual activation.

3. You (or your MIL) can buy two SIM cards of Lifecell Ukraine. The reason is following: first SIM will be used by your MIL as regular cell phone service (any plan is OK because she will need only incoming calls). Second SIM will be used by your wife here in US in roaming mode. Don't worry: you need it only for registration SMS and incoming text messages are free for Lifecell Ukraine (and any other Ukrainian providers) in roaming in USA. So, install BIP messenger on any Android smartphone or IPhone and register this second SIM card of Lifecell with BIP messenger. At this point, all voice call from BIP messenger to your MIL (and any other Lifecell number in Ukraine) will be free.

4. If your MIL cannot use cell phone at all, there is VoiP solution that costs 2 c/min for calling landline and 3 c/min to call to any cell phone.
    I can send you PM with VoiP provider that provides this service. They even accept US credit cards.

5. (Optional) You can even use VoiP provider from above with access number to call from landline or dumbphone without internet connectivity. If your wife reads Russian, I can send instructions what to do and how to do (written in Russian). Send me PM with your contact email. If she is not tech person, I can explain you what to do but it is long story and phone call is better.

6. If your MIL lives on one of the cities from this list https://zadarma.com/en/tariffs/numbers/ukraine/ , you can order Incoming SIP DID (phone number) from these cities and forward it to cell phone of your wife (or your landline). Local calls are free in Ukraine, so your MIL can call your wife for $5-6/month for the number + 1 c/min for forwarding call to your wife's cell phone (or your landline if you want). You and/or your wife will pay for this service, for your MIL it will be completely free.

7. If your MIL can use any Ukrainian mobile service (dumbphone is OK), then usually Ukrainian cell plans have 300 mins for monthly fee of $1-$2 to mobile destinations. So, buy Ukrainian mobile number from here https://zadarma.com/en/tariffs/numbers/ukraine/mobile/ (select Standard tab, not Silver) for $2/month (currently they reduced price to $1/month for first 6 months), forward calls to your wife's cell phone and your MIL will be able to call your wide for free (within 300 monthly mobile minutes) and for you it will cost $2/month + 1 c/min of call forwarding.
    Last edited by RFK; 07-31-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the rundown. I will have to reread this a couple of times to think of the possibilities. When the wife had been over there by herself, we did use LifeCell and Bip.

The problem is that they are both stubborn and , my wife is only just becoming comfortable with using her cell and I don't speak Russian, so I can't go around her.
    I think MIL is capable of using a smartphone or 3g tablet, but wife has been blocking until now.

Good to know about the Lyca UA possibility. If we can get her a dumbphone that may the easiest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    I think MIL is capable of using a smartphone or 3g tablet, but wife has been blocking until now.

Good to know about the Lyca UA possibility. If we can get her a dumbphone that may the easiest.
    Your wife may be right: it took me one year to teach my dad to use smartphone and few weeks to teach my mom. But we live within few miles. If nobody can teach your MIL and nobody can resolve smartphone related issues, it is better to buy dumbphone. Any unlocked quad band 2G dumbphone is OK for Ukraine (anyway, there are no 3G dumbphones sold in US with 3G Band 1 2100 MHz).

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Your wife may be right: it took me one year to teach my dad to use smartphone and few weeks to teach my mom. But we live within few miles. If nobody can teach your MIL and nobody can resolve smartphone related issues, it is better to buy dumbphone. Any unlocked quad band 2G dumbphone is OK for Ukraine (anyway, there are no 3G dumbphones sold in US with 3G Band 1 2100 MHz).
    Is it bad that I read your post and rs899's post in a Russian accent?

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    RFK-

Calls from Lycamobile USA to any Lycamobile phones in the world are free in theory. I will check in few days if it applies to Lycamobile Ukraine.
    The Lyca UA site says Lyca to Lyca calls are free with a 100 UAH topup. There are also similar (though vague ) words on the Lyca US site.
    This would be the easiest and cheapest solution, I think if is comes to pass as written. Alas Lyca has a history of not exactly doing what they say (but they are usually better, not worse than what they promise).

Are you going to try this? (" I will check in few days if it applies to Lycamobile Ukraine.")

Also, do you have any idea about Lycachat? http://www.lycachat.com/en/
    The wording is vague...are they saying if MIL has Lyca data and uses Lycachat, the data burned through Lycachat is not counted?

MIL lives in an apartment in central Odessa, so she should be able to use anything. She gets a strong HSPA signal on Lifecell there (when wife was there)

As for Lifecell:

3. You (or your MIL) can buy two SIM cards of Lifecell Ukraine. The reason is following: first SIM will be used by your MIL as regular cell phone service (any plan is OK because she will need only incoming calls). Second SIM will be used by your wife here in US in roaming mode. Don't worry: you need it only for registration SMS and incoming text messages are free for Lifecell Ukraine (and any other Ukrainian providers) in roaming in USA. So, install BIP messenger on any Android smartphone or IPhone and register this second SIM card of Lifecell with BIP messenger. At this point, all voice call from BIP messenger to your MIL (and any other Lifecell number in Ukraine) will be free.
    I am confused about Bip and Lifecell. As I said, we used it already and it worked fine. I was able to register one of my phones here and use wifi while my wife got a lifecell sim and we chatted while she was there. I am not understanding why you think it is necessary to have a Lifecell sim here roaming? Are you saying that is the only way it will work "free"? Frankly, the Lifecell website doesn't make a lot of sense to me with regard to Bip charging and I couldn't really figure out if they were or weren't charging me for data (just using wifi here and her with a Lifecell SIM there) because she was using a lot of data for other uses.

Wife is planning a trip to Odessa in the next couple of months. She and MIL talk about 20 minutes a week, but MIL is getting on and I know wife would like to call her every day, if she could, to check in on her. Of course, having something like a 3G tablet would be obvious, but just getting the two of them committed to trying it is hard...I have been nagging them for several years. So, if nothing else, a dumbphone might work, either with Lyca or Lyca/Kyivstar. Then there is the SIL who is on MTC, but they don't need to talk as much.

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    Is it bad that I read your post and rs899's post in a Russian accent?
    No (not bad)

Feedback Score

Are you going to try this? (" I will check in few days if it applies to Lycamobile Ukraine.")
    Yes. Immediately after Lyca UA enables it’s support phone (071-6xxxxxx is Lyca range)
    Also, do you have any idea about Lycachat? http://www.lycachat.com/en/
    The wording is vague...are they saying if MIL has Lyca data and uses Lycachat, the data burned through Lycachat is not counted?
    Their plans usually have enough data to use Whatsapp or Viber and not to be afraid of going out of data. No need to use Lycachat or similar messengers
    MIL lives in an apartment in central Odessa, so she should be able to use anything. She gets a strong HSPA signal on Lifecell there (when wife was there)
    Lycamobile will definitely work there
    As for Lifecell:
    I am confused about Bip and Lifecell. As I said, we used it already and it worked fine. I was able to register one of my phones here and use wifi while my wife got a lifecell sim and we chatted while she was there. I am not understanding why you think it is necessary to have a Lifecell sim here roaming? Are you saying that is the only way it will work "free"? Frankly, the Lifecell website doesn't make a lot of sense to me with regard to Bip charging and I couldn't really figure out if they were or weren't charging me for data (just using wifi here and her with a Lifecell SIM there) because she was using a lot of data for other uses.
    You can chat but I as far as I know you can not call actual Lifecell phone from Bip if your Bip is not registered to some Lifecell number.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    You can chat but I as far as I know you can not call actual Lifecell phone from Bip if your Bip is not registered to some Lifecell number.
    Perhaps I am not using the term chat correctly. We were able to text, communicate via voice and video from within the Bip app. Wife had a Lifecell SIM in Odessa. I was on WiFi with a Sprint phone here.

I looked more carefully at the Lyca to Lyca deals. It appears you must have a plan in US. In Ukraine it works with a 100 uah topup. Then somewhere else it shows a cost of .2 uah per minute. Seems like the usual Lyca inconsistency.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I am not using the term chat correctly. We were able to text, communicate via voice and video from within the Bip app. Wife had a Lifecell SIM in Odessa. I was on WiFi with a Sprint phone here.

I looked more carefully at the Lyca to Lyca deals. It appears you must have a plan in US. In Ukraine it works with a 100 uah topup. Then somewhere else it shows a cost of .2 uah per minute. Seems like the usual Lyca inconsistency.
    You can call one to another within Bip (Bip-to-Bip), it's like Skype-to-Skype call, but in order to call from Bip to any actual cell phone (for example, potential dumbphone of your MIL) of Lifecell, your Bip account must be registered using Lifecell Ukraine phone number.

Now, regarding to Lyca US-->Lyca UA. The only way to see the rate is to call to actual Lyca UA number. I have Lyca US pay as you go plan and I expect to see 5 c/min while calling to Lyca UA (price of domestic US call). But, remember, cost of Lyca US --> Kievstar UA is 3 c/min (cheaper than domestic call). So, we will see in few days (may be weeks).

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Now, regarding to Lyca US-->Lyca UA. The only way to see the rate is to call to actual Lyca UA number. I have Lyca US pay as you go plan and I expect to see 5 c/min while calling to Lyca UA (price of domestic US call). But, remember, cost of Lyca US --> Kievstar UA is 3 c/min (cheaper than domestic call). So, we will see in few days (may be weeks).
    I have a no plan PAYGO on Lyca. My understanding of international calls is that you get charged the domestic rate 5/cents and the international rate of the country call.

Yesterday, I called the Philippines. 5+6 cents a minute=11cents.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    ^^ Yes. I would expect a Lyca paygo to Kyivstar would be 5 + 3 cents, rather than the 5+6 cents we are currently paying to reach MILs landline.

Feedback Score
    ^^ Yes. I would expect a Lyca paygo to Kyivstar would be 5 + 3 cents, rather than the 5+6 cents we are currently paying to reach MILs landline.
    Cost of call to Kyivstar from Pay As You Go Plan is 3 c/min (not 5 + 3 = 8 c/min).

Name:  ScreenHunter_199 Aug. 12 08.50.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  13.2 KB

It may be just billing error (we know that Lycamobile billing policy is inconsistent), but it is 3 c/min.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast