Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light Reading - "Sprint's CEO Expects M&A-Related Announcement 'Soon'"

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Light Reading - "Sprint's CEO Expects M&A-Related Announcement 'Soon'"

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/s...d/d-id/735060?

Sprint's CEO says he expects an announcement will be "coming soon" after the carrier's many discussions about its potential M&A options, which was one of the main topics of analysts' questions on Sprint's first-quarter financial year 2017 earnings call.

Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S)'s Marcello Claure said Tuesday morning that the carrier had plenty of "strategic" options regarding M&A. "We've been having a lot of discussions," he said. Claure stressed, however, that Sprint would not be announcing any deal on the earnings call.

"We think an announcement will be coming in the near future," Claure said, adding that this would likely be a "vertical" or "horizontal" integration with one of the potential partners that Sprint is talking to. (See Charter Rebuffs Sprint, Still a SoftBank Target?)

"We've been going at this since the spectrum auction ended," Claure said.

He did say he was surprised by some of the reports around a potential tie-up with Charter Communications Inc. . "Sprint was never offered for Charter to buy; it was part of a bigger offer," he said on the call. (See Sprint Proposes Merger With Charter – Report.)

Most of the rumors around a Sprint merger so far have centered around Charter or T-Mobile US Inc. The CEO, however, repeatedly said that Sprint has a lot of potential options.

For the first quarter of its 2017 fiscal year, Sprint reported its first profit in three years. Net income was $206 million -- or $0.05 per share -- compared to a loss of $302 million -- or $0.08 EPS a year ago. Revenue for the quarter was $8.16 billion, up from $8.01 billion last year. Sprint added 61,000 total customers for the quarter.

Sprint's shares are up at $8.45 -- a 5.89% climb -- in morning trading Tuesday.
    http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...ntegration.asp

Feedback Score
    Sounds like this may be a diversionary tactic to cover up a likely awful earnings report and help prevent the stock from tanking. Given that the stock is up, seems like it's working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Sounds like this may be a diversionary tactic to cover up a likely awful earnings report and help prevent the stock from tanking. Given that the stock is up, seems like it's working.
    The earnings report is quoted in the post, seems you didnt even read what the post actually said, you just read the topic and said " I must post a snarky comment!!!" As far as the the earnings report they posted a profit of 200 million and 61,000 adds, they also beat forecasted revenue. That's why the stock is up. The earnings report was published before the market opened and was the reason for the investment call with claure. It actually helps to read what is actually posted before responding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Awful earning? Their business port ins are up 50%

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Dish rumor is coming up again
    Dish could be a good one. That's what Sprint should have gone with in the first place. They have more low band the network needs

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Yeah dish is prob the best choice.

Feedback Score
    Yep. One of their bands I think is Band29 which would require CA.

Feedback Score
    SoftBank happened under Dan Hesse. I think Marcelo would have picked differently.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Dish could be a good one. That's what Sprint should have gone with in the first place. They have more low band the network needs

I'm not sure Son and Ergen could fit in the same room. Two big ego's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I'm not sure Son and Ergen could fit in the same room. Two big ego's.
    I have a feeling that's why you don't here dish brought up in more merger talk. I'm not sure Charlie is looking to sell off dish without himself being in charge of the entire operation. The only real serious talks that have been reported involving dish were the ones with Amazon a while back and those never seemed to materialize. It's not like Amazon is easy to deal with either though.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    The earnings report is quoted in the post, seems you didnt even read what the post actually said, you just read the topic and said " I must post a snarky comment!!!" As far as the the earnings report they posted a profit of 200 million and 61,000 adds, they also beat forecasted revenue. That's why the stock is up. The earnings report was published before the market opened and was the reason for the investment call with claure. It actually helps to read what is actually posted before responding.
    Stocks go up when it's, "not as bad as I thought," and they go down when it's, "not as good as I thought." Nature of the business.

Verizon stocks rose for example after earnings when investors saw they posted positive instead of negative net adds.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I agree with this article. Although SB is doing its due diligence regarding M&A it does come off as a bit desperate since nothing has materialized with its preferred merger partner: T-Mobile US.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Stocks go up when it's, "not as bad as I thought," and they go down when it's, "not as good as I thought." Nature of the business.

Verizon stocks rose for example after earnings when investors saw they posted positive instead of negative net adds.
    Yes they do. What does this have to do though with the post I quoted that clearly didn't read the article before they answered? The post I quoted and was answering said this was likely a diversion because of a bad earnings report coming out. The problem is the earnings report already came out, and was indeed quoted in the original post. Sprint made a profit for the first time in 3 years, they profited 200 million dollars, added 61,000 adds and beat revenue forecasts with 8.16 billion in revenue. It says that all in the original post on this thread that the person I was replying to clearly didn't read before posting a snarky comment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    Yes they do. What does this have to do though with the post I quoted that clearly didn't read the article before they answered? The post I quoted and was answering said this was likely a diversion because of a bad earnings report coming out. The problem is the earnings report already came out, and was indeed quoted in the original post. Sprint made a profit for the first time in 3 years, they profited 200 million dollars, added 61,000 adds and beat revenue forecasts with 8.16 billion in revenue. It says that all in the original post on this thread that the person I was replying to clearly didn't read before posting a snarky comment.
    Well because in typical "you know who," fashion the other poster was insulted for having a different opinion. I believe the comment was that: "he didn't even read..." as in his opinion was invalid for being contrary to popular belief.

I personally think the Q2 numbers were better than before particularly because they haven't posted a profit in over 8 years but I don't think they were spectacular; and yes I did read the article.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast