Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Light Reading - "Sprint's CEO Expects M&A-Related Announcement 'Soon'"

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Well because in typical "you know who," fashion the other poster was insulted for having a different opinion. I believe the comment was that: "he didn't even read..." as in his opinion was invalid for being contrary to popular belief.

    I personally think the Q2 numbers were better than before particularly because they haven't posted a profit in over 8 years but I don't think they were spectacular; and yes I did read the article.
    Nobody insulted anybody for having a different opinion. Not sure where you got that from. His post though was wrong, the earnings report already came out and he insinuated that it did not and this was a cover up for a bad earnings report about to be released. If he would of read the actual post before posting, the post itself quotes the actual earnings release. Who knows what their q2 will be. Those dont come iut for 3 more months. You do realize sprints fiscal year runs april to march correct? That the months of april through june are indeed their 1st fiscal quarter of 2017 and those numbers were indeed reported today, as the article says? It seems you like to try to make up drama. That's a bad habit to have as most people will just end up ignoring you in the long run.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,351
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    Nobody insulted anybody for having a different opinion. Not sure where you got that from.

    It seems you like to try to make up drama. That's a bad habit to have as most people will just end up ignoring you in the long run.
    Ahh okay point taken.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Ahh okay point taken.
    Ok let's go over this again,

    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Sounds like this may be a diversionary tactic to cover up a likely awful earnings report.
    This can't be true, as the earnings report was already released prior to this conversation, it was the reason for the investors call, to release the earnings report so this statement just can't be true. The earnings report is even quoted in the op's post. How can someone have an opinion of a likely awful earnings report when the earnings report had already been reported? Now if it's his opinion the earnings report was awful fine, but that's not at all what's implied. If he would of actually read the op's original post he would of seen the earnings report right there. Saying I'm bashing his opinion isn't true, he never stated an opinion, he implied that the earnings report hasn't come out yet and it's likely awful so they are trying to divert attention, if he would of read the original post he would of seen that wasn't the case.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,351
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Back on topic:


    https://www.wirelessweek.com/data-fo...te-net-add-dip



    Sprint heralded its first positive profit figure in three years on Tuesday, despite reporting a year-over-year drop in net additions and increased churn in the second quarter.

    The carrier posted net income of $206 million in the period, up from a net loss of $302 million a year ago and a loss of $283 million in the prior quarter. Net operating revenue of $8.2 billion was up $145 million year over year thanks to higher equipment revenue, but down $382 million sequentially. Wireless service revenue of $5.7 billion was down both year over year and sequentially, but Equipment revenue of $2.1 billion was up year over year thanks to a $350 million boost from the sale of used devices, Sprint noted. Earnings per share of 5 cents beat Wall Street expectations by 10 cents.

    Sprint shares jumped more than 11 percent Tuesday morning on the news.

    But the perky financials belied weaker postpaid churn and average billing per user (ABPU), as well as drop in postpaid phone additions. Postpaid phone net additions of 88,000 were down from 173,000 in the year ago period. That was due to increased competitive pressure from the introduction of Verizon’s unlimited plan, but CEO Marcelo Claure said net addition figures for July (115,000) were back to normal. Only 1 percent of the second quarter net addition figures came from Sprint’s free unlimited service offer, Claure said.

    Postpaid phone churn of 1.50 percent was up from 1.39 percent from the year prior. However, Sprint noted that figure would have been 1.58 percent if not for changes to the way it reports subscriber figures. ABPU of $69.51 ticked up a hair sequentially, but was down from $72.17 year over year. Sprint attributed the drop to “lower insurance revenue resulting from the change in the company’s device insurance program.”

    “Sprint’s financial position remains challenged as its balance sheet is highly leveraged and the company currently holds over $34 billion in long-term debt,” Technology Business Research Telecom Analyst Steve Vachon observed. “Additionally, Sprint reported negative free cash flow (non-adjusted) of -$253 million in 2Q17 and improving free cash flow will remain challenging as the company will need to continue to increase capex to support its unlimited data strategy long-term.”
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 08-01-2017 at 08:57 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Back on topic:


    https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...izontalcontent

    On the subscriber side, Sprint beat both AT&T and Verizon on postpaid phone net additions with 42,000 subscribers gained during the quarter, and also posted positive prepaid net adds of 180,000. Those figures compare to postpaid gains of 22,000 in the year-ago period and prepaid losses of 264,000 in the first quarter 2016. Sprint said the prepaid gains came courtesy of strong performance from its Boost brand and fewer net losses from its Virgin brand. The carrier ended the quarter with 26.1 million postpaid phone connections.
    That's not right either. That was last quarter, the article is from May. Ok, sprints fiscal year runs april to march, the 3 other carriers fiscal year runs with the calender year. So those numbers you posted are for sprints 4th quarter 2016 fiscal year. Which is the 1st quarter for the other carriers. The numbers sprint posted today are posted in the op's post. They are for sprints fiscal 1st quarter 2017 (april through june ,which is the other carriers 2nd fiscal quarter.) Those are these numbers here

    This was taken from the op's post. That is sprints earning report. Sprints fiscal q1 2017 just ended in June. They reported this morning before the market opened, as is reported already in the original post on this thread.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,351
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    That's not right either. That was last quarter, the article is from May. Ok, sprints fiscal year runs april to march, the 3 other carriers fiscal year runs with the calender year. So those numbers you posted are for sprints 4th quarter 2016 fiscal year. Which is the 1st quarter for the other carriers. The numbers sprint posted today are posted in the op's post. They are for sprints fiscal 1st quarter 2017 (april through june ,which is the other carriers 2nd fiscal quarter.) Those are these numbers here

    This was taken from the op's post. That is sprints earning report. Sprints fiscal q1 2017 just ended in June. They reported this morning before the market opened, as is reported already in the original post on this thread.
    Yes I pasted the wrong article by mistake. Fixed. We agree yay!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yes I pasted the wrong article by mistake. Fixed. We agree yay!
    Lol I don't disagree with most of what you say, but to criticize my post as attacking another person's opinion was wrong. He clearly didn't read what the op actually posted before he typed that or he would of clearly seen what he was implying wasn't correct. That's all I said to him. Sometimes people on here have a bad habit of crapping all over something without even reading what they are crapping over, they just see something with sprint, Verizon, att or T-Mobile in the title and depending on their allegiance they just want to crap on it for no reason. I don't get it.

    Sprint had a decent quarter, them posting a profit is huge for them. Good for them honestly. As a consumer the 4 national carrier system only works if all 4 are strong. If one is weak and dying then really what difference does it make if there are 3 or 4 carriers? So I'm glad to see sprint have a decent quarter, I hope it keeps up and other carriers have to start reacting to what they are doing. Good job sprint.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    217
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    Lol I don't disagree with most of what you say, but to criticize my post as attacking another person's opinion was wrong. He clearly didn't read what the op actually posted before he typed that or he would of clearly seen what he was implying wasn't correct. That's all I said to him. Sometimes people on here have a bad habit of crapping all over something without even reading what they are crapping over, they just see something with sprint, Verizon, att or T-Mobile in the title and depending on their allegiance they just want to crap on it for no reason. I don't get it.

    Sprint had a decent quarter, them posting a profit is huge for them. Good for them honestly. As a consumer the 4 national carrier system only works if all 4 are strong. If one is weak and dying then really what difference does it make if there are 3 or 4 carriers? So I'm glad to see sprint have a decent quarter, I hope it keeps up and other carriers have to start reacting to what they are doing. Good job sprint.
    You don't seem to get along with anyone here

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    302
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    The earnings report is quoted in the post, seems you didnt even read what the post actually said, you just read the topic and said " I must post a snarky comment!!!" As far as the the earnings report they posted a profit of 200 million and 61,000 adds, they also beat forecasted revenue. That's why the stock is up. The earnings report was published before the market opened and was the reason for the investment call with claure. It actually helps to read what is actually posted before responding.
    Guilty as charged! Yeah I see they made a profit for the first time in 3 years. Good on them.

    I still think all these public statements don't really help their cause but whatever.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    You don't seem to get along with anyone here
    Could probably say the same thing about you couldn't I?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Guilty as charged! Yeah I see they made a profit for the first time in 3 years. Good on them.

    I still think all these public statements don't really help their cause but whatever.
    Well it was an investor phone call, he was asked specifically about mergers. He had to answer the question. Legere had to answer the same questions during their investor call and he pretty much said the same thing. That they were open to talks. This is what legere said during tmobiles financials release on merger possibilities "I would say we have the same — but maybe more — opportunities from an inorganic or an expansion standpoint than we had last quarter," Legere said on a conference call Wednesday. "I feel equally as strong about all of the same things I did last time.” So really they both said similar things.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,351
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The reason I want Sprint to succeed is because I feel they will keep T-Mobile's feet to the fire.

    As long as Sprint struggles categorically this won't happen.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The reason I want Sprint to succeed is because I feel they will keep T-Mobile's feet to the fire.

    As long as Sprint struggles categorically this won't happen.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    Yes. As a consumer why wouldnt you want them to do well? It only benefits you that they do well. If you are an investor in tmobile or any other carrier your priorities may be different, but if you are only a consumer it would be against your best interests to want them to fail. The only way a 4 player national level carrier system actually benefits consumers is if 4 carriers are strong enough to be a viable option for the majority of people to choose from, otherwise what difference does it make if there are 3 or 4 national carriers if one of them is so weak that nobody would choose them? No matter how low they went the other carriers would never react because there would be no reason to, but if sprint turns into a strong 4th carrier, now the other 3 just can't ignore what they do, they have to react to it. When T-Mobile was 4th that's what made them so dangerous, they were a strong 4th that other carriers had to react to. It benefited everyone, not just T-Mobile users. That's what Sprint needs to be, a strong 4th option, it benefits everyone.

    Even if you personally would never touch a sprint device for whatever reason, it only benefits you If they do well, it keeps the carrier you do use on their toes and makes them better themselves. The last company Verizon or AT&T users should hate is T-Mobile, they are paying less because of them, the last companies T-Mobile users should hate are Verizon and AT&T, T-Mobile is forced to expand and better their network because of them, now if you add a strong sprint to the mix, think of what that will do to actual competition and that benefits consumers, investors not so much, but consumers only win in that situation.
    Last edited by dave1102; 08-01-2017 at 11:39 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    302
    Feedback Score
    0
    I totally agree- competition is good. Sprint is frankly unusable where I live and even in many much less rural areas I've visited. But I would like to see them succeed on their own as if they get better it will put more pressure on the competition. Maybe it already is in areas where they're data is usable.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,197
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    If Sprint went along with the original merger terms, as they were revealed online, the merger would have had no debt and LeGere would be in charge. I've seen estimates of up to $30 billion in synergies (Light Reading).

    LeGere would try to grind Verizon and AT&T into the ground and with all the resources he would have to do so I think under those circumstances AT&T and Verizon would be in real trouble and a massive price war would result.

    It doesn't seem that is happening but maybe we'll be surprised and that merger with no debt and massive synergies will still happen along with investments from Malone, Buffet, Charter and Comcast. Maybe that combination leads to a purchase of Dish.

    I can hear the AT&T/Verizon execs talking around a big table "What are we going to do now?'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2016, 06:48 PM
  2. Dan Hesse named new Sprint/Nextel CEO
    By bigsnake49 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
  3. Intersting read from Sprint
    By newdad in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 08:00 PM
  4. are we the DARK side or LIGHT side of Sprint-Nextel?
    By Jack in the Box in forum Nextel Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Bookmarks