Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to make Google Voice my default SMS from Contacts?

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score

Is there a way to make Google Voice my default SMS from Contacts?

If I open Contacts and tap the phone handset icon the call will go out using Google Voice. But if I tap the messaging icon the SMS will transmit with my normal phone number. Is there a way to set Contacts so that SMS get sent via Google Voice? Obviously the way to avoid this is to send SMS via the GV app, not Contacts.

Name:  brio.png
Views: 304
Size:  90.3 KB
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    So far, I am not seeing that.

What I would suggest, which I have been doing without any snags for several months now, is to send a sms with the gv app, then wait for the recepient to reply to your GV number, then save that phantkm number in that person's contact list, use custom and name it somethjng that you know is for GV, and then whenever you either call that number or sms that number, even without data on, it will contact that person and they will see your GV information on the ir caller ID.

Interesting tidbit, if you dms them using this phantom number, and then check your GV app, what you just sent will show up their.

Good luck.

let us know if there is a way to actually make it our default sms app.

When I went to sms setting, it did not register GV as a sms app, I guess that it is more like a voip device similar to whatsapp, allows sms, allows calls, allows video calls.

Feedback Score
    @MVNO!!!,
    Great tips and summary there.

It would still require WiFi/data to send the initial SMS via GV app to get the shadow number from the text reply.

Really annoying that Google broke things and forces us through this workaround.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Sadly the Google Voice app can't be the default messaging app because it doesn't support carrier SMS messaging. Hangouts used to, but now it doesn't either it can't be the default app any more. I don't really know why it is a requirement but it is and that's that. I keep hoping one day the GV app will be updated to support this but that's ok.

The cool thing with those shadow numbers is you can make a cheap basic flip phone a GV forwarding phone and then using the shadow numbers make and take calls and texts on the flip phone as if it were from your Google Voice number. I work in Fire-Rescue and I farm on the side, two occupations that are very hard on smartphones. Been doing this for years so I don't destroy my nice smart phone while working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    Sadly the Google Voice app can't be the default messaging app because it doesn't support carrier SMS messaging. Hangouts used to, but now it doesn't either it can't be the default app any more. I don't really know why it is a requirement but it is and that's that. I keep hoping one day the GV app will be updated to support this but that's ok.

The cool thing with those shadow numbers is you can make a cheap basic flip phone a GV forwarding phone and then using the shadow numbers make and take calls and texts on the flip phone as if it were from your Google Voice number. I work in Fire-Rescue and I farm on the side, two occupations that are very hard on smartphones. Been doing this for years so I don't destroy my nice smart phone while working.

So if I take friend #1's phone and call friend #2's number using friend # 2's phantom number, but the phantom number that I got from my google voice texting, so friend #2 will see my call ID and not friend #1's?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    @MVNO!!!,
    Great tips and summary there.

It would still require WiFi/data to send the initial SMS via GV app to get the shadow number from the text reply.

Really annoying that Google broke things and forces us through this workaround.
    Yep, data is needed for the inital message.
    Whats more, data is needed even when you use the native dialer to place a call with GV. I do not remeber that 4 months ago, or at least on the previous version of the GV app.
    The plus is that it uses very little data to do it, and also there is no need to go to the website anymore to add linked numbers, it is all able to easily be done in the GV app.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    So if I take friend #1's phone and call friend #2's number using friend # 2's phantom number, but the phantom number that I got from my google voice texting, so friend #2 will see my call ID and not friend #1's?
    No. Let's say my wife actual phone number is 386-555-1234, and her shadow number is 965-222-9876. If I call or text her shadow number from any of my forwarding phones' native dialer/texting application it will appear to my wife that the call came from my google voice number regardless of what the phones actual number is. No data will be required if I am using the shadow number.

Feedback Score
    I wonder what happens if you dial wife's shadow number from a phone that's not one of your forwarding phones?

No. Let's say my wife actual phone number is 386-555-1234, and her shadow number is 965-222-9876. If I call or text her shadow number from any of my forwarding phones' native dialer/texting application it will appear to my wife that the call came from my google voice number regardless of what the phones actual number is. No data will be required if I am using the shadow number.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Then it will go to the person who has that number as their google voice number, or if it doesn't belong to anyone you'll get the not in service message. All these numbers "belong" to Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    That makes no sense at all. Dialing a shadow number doesn't imply the shadow number is a Google Voice number. The person I reach when dialing any of my shadow numbers doesn't have to have a Google Voice number.

Also if I'm dialing a valid Google Voice shadow number, how could it not be associated with a real phone number .

Then it will go to the person who has that number as their google voice number, or if it doesn't belong to anyone you'll get the not in service message.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've given this a lot of thought, I've researched on Wikipedia, on here, other forums, and on the Google help forums. I have deduced how I think it works. I might be wrong but I have dialed some of my shadow numbers with phones that are not associated with my account and talked to people who weren't who I expected and had no idea who I was.

Right, so, here's how the "shadow" numbers work...I think

GV has a bunch of numbers that they control, thousands or millions, who knows. Anyhow, GV uses these numbers to route calls from their customers. When I place a call via GV it associates one of these numbers with the actual number it calls so it can route the call over their VOIP network instead of using POTS. GV is able to recognize due to caller ID that I am placing a call from a forwarding phone and routes the call to the POTS number using the shadow number. I'm sure there are limits to how many shadow numbers an individual can have, but most people just don't call more than a few hundred folks so it works more or less. Anyhow using my previous example, if I call 313-583-9468 I will reach my wife as long as I call that number from any of my forwarding phones. If I call that number from any other phone, I will get someone in Detroit, Michigan. I'm in Florida. My wife's POTS number is 386-937-xxxx. That is a Pomona Park Fla number which is a community between Jacksonville, Fl, and Daytona Beach. That is her real shadow number for my account. Call it. Her name is Michelle. You won't get her, you'll get someone in Detroit or you'll get the number not in service message. Its a super complex system that reuses numbers. Want to mess it up? disable your outgoing caller ID and none of your shadow numbers will work. It has to know its you.

This is why you can't associate a number with more than one GV number and you can't associate a GV number with another GV account - none of this would work.

Feedback Score
    I've given this a lot of thought, I've researched on Wikipedia, on here, other forums, and on the Google help forums. I have deduced how I think it works. I might be wrong but I have dialed some of my shadow numbers with phones that are not associated with my account and talked to people who weren't who I expected and had no idea who I was.

GV has a bunch of numbers that they control, thousands or millions, who knows. Anyhow, GV uses these numbers to route calls from their customers. When I place a call via GV it associates one of these numbers with the actual number it calls so it can route the call over their VOIP network instead of using POTS. GV is able to recognize due to caller ID that I am placing a call from a forwarding phone and routes the call to the POTS number using the shadow number. I'm sure there are limits to how many shadow numbers an individual can have, but most people just don't call more than a few hundred folks so it works more or less. Anyhow using my previous example, if I call 313-583-9468 I will reach my wife as long as I call that number from any of my forwarding phones. If I call that number from any other phone, I will get someone in Detroit, Michigan. I'm in Florida. My wife's POTS number is 386-937-xxxx. That is a Pomona Park Fla number which is a community between Jacksonville, Fl, and Daytona Beach. That is her real shadow number for my account. Call it. Her name is Michelle. You won't get her, you'll get someone in Detroit or you'll get the number not in service message. Its a super complex system that reuses numbers. Want to mess it up? disable your outgoing caller ID and none of your shadow numbers will work. It has to know its you.

This is why you can't associate a number with more than one GV number and you can't associate a GV number with another GV account - none of this would work.
    I remember asking someone to text the shadow number that my GV account has associated with them, if I recall correctly, they did not recieve a text, and if I texted it from my phone, they did get a message.

Now that you added this new "reuse" point, I wonder who got that message instead of the guy making the text.

Feedback Score
    Great dedication and deduction. I agree with it.

I'm not clear on what you mean by
    "This is why you can't associate a number with more than one GV number". I think you're saying a given real mobile number can only be a linked number/GV forwarding on one GV account at most. I agree with that.

Thanks for writing this up.

Last edited by tfusr19; 08-04-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I'm not clear on what you mean by
    "This is why you can't associate a number with more than one GV number". I think you're saying a given real mobile number can only be a linked number/GV forwarding on one GV account at most. I agree with that.
    Exactly. I can't have my carrier number as a forwarding phone for more than one GV account. There would be no way GV would know what number to place the call to since every account's shadow numbers are unique. When I used to have a postpaid account on Verizon I had detailed billing. That's when I noticed my outgoing calls were going to numbers I had no idea who they were, so I knew then GV was using some kind of alternate numbering plan for calls via google voice.

I imagine if it ever crashed it would be chaos.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    I remember asking someone to text the shadow number that my GV account has associated with them, if I recall correctly, they did not recieve a text, and if I texted it from my phone, they did get a message.

Now that you added this new "reuse" point, I wonder who got that message instead of the guy making the text.
    How would they have known what their shadow number is? The easiest way to collect these is to have texts forwarded to one of your forwarding phones and incoming texts to your carrier number will come from that person's shadow number.

As far as reuse, I'm certain that my Google Voice number is someone else's shadow number, and the shadow numbers I have are other peoples' numbers. I've talked to the person with the above Detroit number. It was weird because I wasn't expecting to speak to a man. I had a flip phone setup with a bunch of shadow numbers but for some reason it had been removed from my phone list. I placed the call to my wife, he answered and it went from there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast