Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to make Google Voice my default SMS from Contacts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    How would they have known what their shadow number is? The easiest way to collect these is to have texts forwarded to one of your forwarding phones and incoming texts to your carrier number will come from that person's shadow number.

As far as reuse, I'm certain that my Google Voice number is someone else's shadow number, and the shadow numbers I have are other peoples' numbers. I've talked to the person with the above Detroit number. It was weird because I wasn't expecting to speak to a man. I had a flip phone setup with a bunch of shadow numbers but for some reason it had been removed from my phone list. I placed the call to my wife, he answered and it went from there.
    I gave them the shadow number that came to my phone after they had texted my GV and the GV forwarded to my native number.
    I asked them to text that Shadow Number, expecting them to get a text from themselves, just as they would have gotten a rext from me, but no dice.

I agree that your way to collect them is the easiest way, I have been doing that for all this time.
    I text them via the app through data, they reply to my GV number, my GV is set to forward the message to my natuve number on my phone, my phone sees a new number, the shadow number, I save that number under the ointact's numbers, and if I wish to text without using the GV app I just use the shadow number.

I also wish to see if I could make calls using the shadow number if all data is off.

Previously GV did not use data to place calls but it still showed as your GV number to the recepient.
    Now if data is off, or even if background data is off for GV, the call will not be able to be placed through GV.

So I wonder, if I turn off data, and use the shadow nunber to place the call, will it go through.

I hope to let you know in the future.

Feedback Score
    Yes, as long as you dial/text a shadow number from one of your verified Google Voice forwarding numbers use the native carrier dialer or default messaging app, it will go to the real number corresponding the shadow number which you obtained from a reply sent to your GV number .

Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    I gave them the shadow number that came to my phone after they had texted my GV and the GV forwarded to my native number.
    I asked them to text that Shadow Number, expecting them to get a text from themselves, just as they would have gotten a rext from me, but no dice.

I agree that your way to collect them is the easiest way, I have been doing that for all this time.
    I text them via the app through data, they reply to my GV number, my GV is set to forward the message to my natuve number on my phone, my phone sees a new number, the shadow number, I save that number under the ointact's numbers, and if I wish to text without using the GV app I just use the shadow number.

I also wish to see if I could make calls using the shadow number if all data is off.

Previously GV did not use data to place calls but it still showed as your GV number to the recepient.
    Now if data is off, or even if background data is off for GV, the call will not be able to be placed through GV.

So I wonder, if I turn off data, and use the shadow nunber to place the call, will it go through.

I hope to let you know in the future.

Feedback Score
    robertjglenn,
    To further clarify your helpful post, I believe all shadow number are Google Voice held numbers, and as such may be someone's real Google Voice number (but never a carrier number).

If you check your wife's shadow number on
    http://www.whitepages.com it will probably say VoIP Skype or Google Voice number under phone number details and list the person's name.

I wonder what happens if someone ports their Google Voice phone number out of Google Voice to a carrier and that number was being used as a shadow number

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post

If you use the shadow number you no longer need data to make calls and texts from your forwarding phones. I do this every day because I use Google Voice with a dumb phone that doesn't even have data and no GV application. Been doing it for years. As long as the phone is a forwarding phone attached to your google voice account calling and sending texts with the shadow number will go to your intended person. Of course using their real number in the app its going to continue to use data, that's just how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    robertjglenn,
    To further clarify your helpful post, I believe all shadow number are Google Voice held numbers, and as such may be someone's real Google Voice number (but never a carrier number).

http://www.whitepages.com it will probably say VoIP Skype or Google Voice number under phone number details and list the person's name.

I wonder what happens if someone ports their Google Voice phone number out of Google Voice to a carrier and that number was being used as a shadow number
    I'm sure you are correct. It has to be numbers they control to be able to use them like this. They do go out of their way to discourage porting out of GV.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Name:  eddie bell.png
Views: 137
Size:  18.6 KB

I did not blur any of this because anyone could perform this search

Feedback Score
    I don't like the fact that my Google Voice number shows up under whitepage.com with my name and location details. Is that the case for you guys too?

I wish Google Voice would give us the option to stay unlisted.

.. ..

I did not blur any of this because anyone could perform this search

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes searching by my number does give my name as well. My number is on a painted sign beside the highway visible with Street View so it doesn't really bother me, but I get what you are saying.

Feedback Score
    How does Google discourage you from porting your GV number out?

Now if we could get to the bottom of why they suddenly require data in some cases.

.. .

I'm sure you are correct. It has to be numbers they control to be able to use them like this. They do go out of their way to discourage porting out of GV.

Feedback Score
    And just to mimic what everyone has been saying, yes it did work without data.

Device(s)
    Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes searching by my number does give my name as well.
    I don't like the fact that my Google Voice number shows up under whitepage.com with my name and location details. Is that the case for you guys too?

Since Google Voice does not support CNAM my guess is that both of you ported your numbers into Google Voice?

If so, this has nothing to do with Google Voice. It is specific to whitepages.com. It is the name associated with that number from the previous carrier before being ported to Google Voice/Bandwidth.com. The blame goes to whitepages.com for holding onto that name even though the number has been ported and there is no longer a valid CNAM entry.

Do a reverse lookup on your GV number on any other site and I bet you get zilch for name. I use the GV assigned number for my Google Voice number and my name does not show up on whitepages.com......just the city and state.

However, I ported my old landline number to a VoIP provider years ago but my name is still associated with it on whitepages.com.

Feedback Score

On WhitePages.com mine just lists my Google Voice number as

"Non Fixed Voip phone number

e.g. Skype or Google Voice"

And it’s listed in the next suburb over from mine.

My name is not listed anywhere on this.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    On WhitePages.com mine just lists my Google Voice number as

"Non Fixed Voip phone number

e.g. Skype or Google Voice"

And it’s listed in the next suburb over from mine.

My name is not listed anywhere on this.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2
    My original GV # that I got in 2009 reflects the same.

My old home phone #, that I ported to GV a couple of years ago, reflects my wife's name, who was not my wife at the time I got that #, and was never on the old Ameritech/AT&T account that I ported that # from.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post

However, I ported my old landline number to a VoIP provider years ago but my name is still associated with it on whitepages.com.
    Mine is the same for my landline number. GV number is just listed as a VoIP number i.e. Skype or GV.

As far as shadow numbers, I would think these are numbers that Google owns and controls and shouldn't be anyone's actual phone number. That one in Detroit is probably just a fluke.

Feedback Score
    The shadow numbers are also people's real GV numbers. Try looking some of your shadow numbers if you have GV or dial them directly without using GV and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Mine is the same for my landline number. GV number is just listed as a VoIP number i.e. Skype or GV.

As far as shadow numbers, I would think these are numbers that Google owns and controls and shouldn't be anyone's actual phone number. That one in Detroit is probably just a fluke.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I doubt that. I don't know how may GV users there are, probably a double hand full. Of that, just a pinch of us even know the existence of shadow numbers and what they are used for. I use them for the sole purpose of using a nearly indestructible feature phone as a forwarding phone so I don't kill my nice Nexus 6p while working.

Lets look at your supposition. If there are 10 million GV users, and if each one of those million folks had 100 contacts then there would be 1 billion unique shadow numbers in service. With all the other numbers in place that would be unlikely. There are approximately 2,320,530,700 possible US phone numbers in the North American Numbering Plan so it is unlikely that half of those are in service as a shadow number for GV.

I have saved 125 shadow numbers in my feature phone and I'm pretty introverted. Many other folks probably talk to lots more folks. For most users, the shadow numbers are in the shadows and they don't even know they exist, but that is the entire biases for how GV functions. They have to reuse and recycle these numbers, there's just not enough numbers for any other method.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast