Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: VZW cut me off from internet, due to older 4G LTE phone!

Feedback Score

VZW cut me off from internet, due to older 4G LTE phone!

I’ve been on VZW for a long time paying a lot for the grandfathered UDP, although I’m not using much data and will be selling it or getting rid of it.

On July 11 I received a text from VZW saying that my phone, a Droid 4, and a number of other phones, would no longer receive 4G, only 3G. It is a 4G LTE phone. The text had a link to a letter about it, but I couldn’t access the link, nor was it online in my account.

Shortly after that, I stopped receiving any data at all, except email. So it is not just 3G, it’s no internet at all, except gmail! I can’t get on any websites from my browser or access any links from text or email. How is this ok?? There was no warning.

My phone got on the internet fine before this. VZW won’t even take anything off my bill due to no data suddenly either, which is doubly not ok. They just want me to buy a new phone, which I’m certainly not going to buy from them.

I am planning on switching to Boom! Red, which is VZW (best coverage in my area). I want to use my Droid 4, which has a physical keyboard, which I need, and not have to spend a lot on a new phone. Any suggestions, other than buy a new phone? It’s aggravating, because even though it’s old, it worked fine. I'm afraid that Boom Red would be the same deal now that VZ has cut off these older phones. Why? Just to make more on selling phones?

And VZ charging me for data that they cut off is really not ok.

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
    Iíve been on VZW for a long time paying a lot for the grandfathered UDP, although Iím not using much data and will be selling it or getting rid of it.

On July 11 I received a text from VZW saying that my phone, a Droid 4, and a number of other phones, would no longer receive 4G, only 3G. It is a 4G LTE phone. The text had a link to a letter about it, but I couldnít access the link, nor was it online in my account.

Shortly after that, I stopped receiving any data at all, except email. So it is not just 3G, itís no internet at all, except gmail! I canít get on any websites from my browser or access any links from text or email. How is this ok?? There was no warning.

My phone got on the internet fine before this. VZW wonít even take anything off my bill due to no data suddenly either, which is doubly not ok. They just want me to buy a new phone, which Iím certainly not going to buy from them.

I am planning on switching to Boom! Red, which is VZW (best coverage in my area). But I want to use my Droid 4, which has a physical keyboard, which I need. I would like to keep the phone and not have to spend a lot on a new phone. Any suggestions, other than buy a new phone? Itís aggravating, because even though itís old, it worked fine. I'm afraid that Boom Red would be the same deal now that VZ has cut off these older phones. Why? Just to make more on selling phones?

Thank you!
    Why would they go that? If your phone supports B13 then there shouldn't be any issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Maybe they want you off band 13 LTE? I know thatís the only band that phone is able to get... but Iím honestly not sure and canít see how this is acceptable. I am sorry you are going through this. I would be going up the steps of management until itís resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Maybe they want you off band 13 LTE? I know that’s the only band that phone is able to get... but I’m honestly not sure and can’t see how this is acceptable. I am sorry you are going through this. I would be going up the steps of management until it’s resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree. No supervisor was available when I called, & the rep was leaning heavily on me to buy a new phone. Are you kidding me? From a company that just did this??

Feedback Score
    I agree. No supervisor was available when I called, & the rep was leaning heavily on me to buy a new phone. Are you kidding me? From a company that just did this??
    Don't buy a new phone. Buy a used phone from SWAPPA 🏻🏻🏻🏻

Feedback Score
    Iíve been on VZW for a long time paying a lot for the grandfathered UDP, although Iím not using much data and will be selling it or getting rid of it.

On July 11 I received a text from VZW saying that my phone, a Droid 4, and a number of other phones, would no longer receive 4G, only 3G. It is a 4G LTE phone. The text had a link to a letter about it, but I couldnít access the link, nor was it online in my account.

Shortly after that, I stopped receiving any data at all, except email. So it is not just 3G, itís no internet at all, except gmail! I canít get on any websites from my browser or access any links from text or email. How is this ok?? There was no warning.

My phone got on the internet fine before this. VZW wonít even take anything off my bill due to no data suddenly either, which is doubly not ok. They just want me to buy a new phone, which Iím certainly not going to buy from them.

I am planning on switching to Boom! Red, which is VZW (best coverage in my area). I want to use my Droid 4, which has a physical keyboard, which I need, and not have to spend a lot on a new phone. Any suggestions, other than buy a new phone? Itís aggravating, because even though itís old, it worked fine. I'm afraid that Boom Red would be the same deal now that VZ has cut off these older phones. Why? Just to make more on selling phones?

Thank you!
    I would imagine that its because your older phone doesn't support CA and is tying up a band of service that they desperately needed to free up space on. But this is the first I'm hearing of this. I hope it doesn't become more wide spread!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I believe the answer you're looking for was addressed here: http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=16877322

Feedback Score
    Blue Pearl,

Sounds like a formal complaint with the FCC through their website might be in order here if you don't find a satisfactory explanation from Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From other posts I read it appears it only affects older Moto devices and appears to be a chipset incompatibility.

Feedback Score
    My understanding is that the incompatible phones should still work at 3G, while the OP is reporting no data at all - so there's a disconnect somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    From other posts I read it appears it only affects older Moto devices and appears to be a chipset incompatibility.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    My understanding is that the incompatible phones should still work at 3G, while the OP is reporting no data at all - so there's a disconnect somewhere.
    Odd that OP can still get gmail that would indicate data is working to some degree

Feedback Score
    I was about that too

Odd that OP can still get gmail that would indicate data is working to some degree
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Yes, I know, but it is hardly the data that I should be receiving, and I'm on the UDP at the inflated rate to boot!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I know, but it is hardly the data that I should be receiving, and I'm on the UDP at the inflated rate to boot!
    No disagreement there, I think it sucks what they did and knowing Verizon they won't make amends for it but I don't think you can undo it at this point so if you need or want to keep service with them your only option will be a new/newer phone or put there sorry butts to the curb and move somewhere else.

Feedback Score
    Verizon treats customers like criminals at times

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast