Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Verizon coverage map shows AT&T roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Verizon coverage map shows AT&T roaming

Verizon's coverage map clearly shows AT&T roaming in some areas, like West Virginia. Is this a glitch, or is Verizon actually roaming on AT&T?

This only appears when you select "4G LTE without 3G CDMA" on the coverage map. Look at places like Harman, WV and Snowshoe, WV. Only AT&T has coverage in these areas. US Cellular doesn't. Sprint doesn't. T-Mobile doesn't. This is clearly AT&T HSPA coverage.

Verizon coverage map for Harman, WV:

AT&T coverage map for Harman, WV:

Verizon 3G map for Harman, WV:

Verizon coverage map for Snowshoe, WV:

AT&T coverage map for Snowshoe, WV:

Verizon 3G map for Snowshoe, WV:

Even if this is a glitch, why would Verizon have AT&T's coverage map data saved in their system and displayed on their map?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    if this is true i might be able to go back to Verizon. AT&T's 3G is pretty decent. and it's extended 1x where i live as well. i live in greenbrier county (western half)

Sent from my LG-V930 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The new LG Exalt LTE flip phone lists that the phone will roam on GSM/UMTS when LTE isn't available... So it has to be AT&T.

Sent from my XT1650 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised the reason being if Verizon has AT&T roaming then you get the best of both worlds with Verizon why not switch to Verizon from AT&T, if Verizon got a good roaming deal from AT&T I hope it's reciprocal or else goodbye AT&T... Sprint I understand they're coverage is horrible but Verizon...?

Feedback Score
    If true, that is really surprising. How does this really benefit AT&T, other than a bit of extra $$ from Verizon for roaming. Hard to believe that would outweigh the work they did to build out those areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Can I ask why you think Verizon is roaming on AT&T? Just because their maps are similar?

I highly doubt Verizon roams on AT&T anywhere.

Feedback Score
    If it is true then that roaming would likely have roaming limits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew110 View Post
    Can I ask why you think Verizon is roaming on AT&T? Just because their maps are similar?

He showed thorough evidence in the OP...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    I'm surprised the reason being if Verizon has AT&T roaming then you get the best of both worlds with Verizon why not switch to Verizon from AT&T, if Verizon got a good roaming deal from AT&T I hope it's reciprocal or else goodbye AT&T... Sprint I understand they're coverage is horrible but Verizon...?
    It's definitely not a nationwide agreement, otherwise as you said there would be no reason to use AT&T. It's likely similar to other markets, and only in select areas will you be roaming, and even less so on AT&T as I'm sure it costs Verizon a lot more than partnering with small regional carriers. If true, it's probably because no one else has service there for them to roam with.

I believe it's because he compared it with Sprint and US Cellular and they don't have coverage there either.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Verizon coverage map shows AT&T roaming

Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    He showed thorough evidence in the OP...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    The Verizon map shows LTE coverage not UMTS...

Never heard of VZ roaming on UMTS in the U.S. ever. It’s probably a map glitch if anything.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Andrew110. Looking at Sensorly and CellMapper, it doesn't appear that either VZ or AT&T has a site in Harman but CellMapper is showing a 2G CDMA site north of Harman in Thomas. It appears AT&T's UMTS coverage shown there is residual from the north/northwest.

Edit: There does appear to be an AT&T site running UMTS in Harman. My bad

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgdub91 View Post
    The new LG Exalt LTE flip phone lists that the phone will roam on GSM/UMTS when LTE isn't available... So it has to be AT&T.

Sent from my XT1650 using HoFo mobile app
    Ah, you're right! That phone supports GSM/UMTS/HSPA/LTE but not CDMA. I bet that's why.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basi.../lg-exalt-lte/

I explained that very clearly in my post. The coverage maps are identical in those areas, and AT&T is the only carrier that has coverage in those areas. It's 100% AT&T coverage. It can’t be anyone else, because no other carrier has coverage in the two areas I mentioned.

The Verizon map shows LTE coverage not UMTS...

Never heard of VZ roaming on UMTS in the U.S. ever. It’s probably a map glitch if anything.
    Nope. Look closer. The coverage is shown as 3G roaming, not LTE. LTE is a different color on the map.

This looks to be 3G roaming on AT&T for devices that don't support CDMA, like the LG Exalt.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basi.../lg-exalt-lte/

It also makes no sense that it would be a glitch, as I said. Why would Verizon have AT&T's coverage data saved in their system and displayed on their map "accidentally"?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I agree with Andrew110. Looking at Sensorly and CellMapper, it doesn't appear that either VZ or AT&T has a site in Harman but CellMapper is showing a 2G CDMA site north of Harman in Thomas. It appears AT&T's UMTS coverage shown there is residual from the north/northwest.
    Wrong. I've been to Harman, Davis, and Thomas. AT&T has a site in Harman and is the only carrier that has coverage there. US Cellular does not. Check their coverage maps. Sensorly, and especially CellMapper, are notorious for being inaccurate. CellMapper is often completely wrong with cell site locations.

Thomas, where there is a US Cellular site, is 22 miles away from Harman.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

https://www.uscellular.com/coverage-...indicator.html

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    What map are you using that gives that"4G LTE without 3G CDMA" selection? I'm on my desktop on the Verizon site as well as the full browser on my phone. Neither have those selection options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    What map are you using that gives that"4G LTE without 3G CDMA" selection? I'm on my desktop on the Verizon site as well as the full browser on my phone. Neither have those selection options.
    I can't find that either

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast