Thread: Got BYOD SIM kit, need to activate

Feedback Score

Got BYOD SIM kit, need to activate

Went to Rite Aid & just got the H20 BYOD SIM & airtime plan ($10 pay as you go), they didn't have H20 anything at Walmart when i went yesterday.

I've never activated with H20 before or with any BYOP SIM kit before. The instructions look pretty basic but i want to be sure i have it right.

I don't have computer access, just mobile browser on my Tracfone so i have to activate by phone.

Here comes the dumb question: do i install the SIM before i call the service desk to activate the phone or do i activate the phone first and then install the SIM?

The instructions i got with the kit says to (1) dial 1-800-643-4926 to (2) select language, (3)follow prompts to select 2 to activate phone, (4) follow prompts to select 2 for non-dealer, (5) follow prompts to select 1 to enter ActFast code (9-10 digit number on the SIM card) , (6) enter the preferred area code.

After those instructions it says to install the SIM, then add airtime.

I would have thought the SIM should already be in the phone while choosing the items listed above from the help menu, not after doing items 1-6.

Can anyone help ? It may seem like a dumb question but its a smart SIM.

It says on the packet that airtime is included. The instructions say to dial 1-800-698-0922 after activating the SIM to add airtime & that i'll need my pin & mobile number.

If airtime is included in the $15 kit, i didn't see a card with a pin indicating its for airtime. Does the airtime get added automatically with the SIM activation?

Help??

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    New for me too. I ordered the SIM to activate service on a backup phone. The number on the backup phone has had only 1 robocall in 2 1/2 months, so I'm wanting to save it at a low cost. And $10/3 months is a cheap way to do it, and still be able to make an emergency call if I'm not in an area with Verizon support.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    I would insert the SIM in the SIM slot but keep the phone OFF until the activation is complete.

Feedback Score
    Ok, sounds right. Glad i waited as i just found out one of the 3 AT&T cells i was debating between is 2G & i read in a forum post that someone else had the Samsung SGH-A107 with AT&T & was being told to switch to the ZTE Z222 since AT&T abandoned 2G. I have the Z222 flip which is 3G &never been activated. It doesnt have holes to attach a lanyard strap which is one reason i was going to choose the Samsung, wanted to wear it around neck for emergency callbox. Now i have to choose between the Z222 flip & a qwerty keypad Alcatel, OT871A. guess i can wear the phone inside a small case inside my shirt. Have one too small for my smartphones. The point is to have it hidden on me where creeps cant see it !

Feedback Score
    To kevink1, i was wondering how good the H20 tel#'s are about spam texts etc. I hope mine is as good as yours. I had the $10/90 day plan with T-Mobile & was getting voicemails & texts for the previous phone #'s owner, was a big waste. Hope i get a clean # but its sort of like playing the lotto, there are winning #'s & losing #'s. If you have a good one hang onto it

:-0

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mine is currently cricket. But since seems clean, I'm keeping it. Numbers are a crapshoot. Last 2 times I ported I had temp number briefly. Within 30 minutes robocall. Sprint and T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    You need to use 1 of the good call blocking apps. After the 1st month, the spammers will put your number on their blacklists so they don't have to waste their time. I used to get quite a few everyday. After I started using the call blocker app, the number of unwanted calls gradually decreased and now I only get one or two in a few months, that I would add to the blacklist to block them in the future.

Feedback Score
    I've never tried Cricket. I've had Virgin Mobile, AT&T, T-Mobile, Tracfone, AT&T was the cleanest. It's gotten to where i won't answer calls unless they're on my contact list.

Now i have H20 & if the # they gave me doesn't dish too much spam it may be a keeper because it gets a super strong 4-5 bars 3G signal on my little Z222 flip.

I may just start shopping for a nice unlocked BYOD just in case this works for me. Customer Service answered my email really fast, i activated at the website on my Tracfone's mobile browser, it was very fast, no issues with activation.

Hopefully there won't be problems. When the service is good, why switch, "if it ain't broke, no use in fixin it."

Feedback Score
    If you want a really clean number, ask for a 346 area code. It's new, and the spammers haven't found it yet. I have 3 of them. (Houston, TX area)
    Area code shouldn't matter if you use a Google Voice # for call in.
    When activating your H2O do it from another phone for the easiest time. When done with c/s, insert the SIM and it should come up showing AT&T in upper left notification.

Feedback Score
    So far no junk calls or texts on the H20 (of course have to wait a few days), but starting out with a cheap short term plan may be a good way to find out if the # is good before switching to a more expensive plan or funding it for a year.

I may activate another old phone with a ported in number from a service i want to discontinue, its # is good although it was pretty spammy when first activated.

I'm supposing i can't port the # to my already activated H20 phone without losing its funds or probably would have to start all over with a new SIM kit.