Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cities with regular air service & no T-mobile coverage

Feedback Score

Cities with regular air service & no T-mobile coverage

Overall I'm a happy T-mobile customer. Unfortunately I have family in Wausau, WI which is one of the largest cities in the USA without coverage. Anecdotally I'm also aware of no coverage in Casper, WY (which has an "international" airport), Coos Bay, Or + Rock Springs, WY + a bunch of cities in Arizona & the UP of Michigan. Also for what it is worth I-80 in Wyoming has a big stretch of no coverage and I-70 in Utah has more than usual dead zones.

T-mobile has done an exceptional job at adding coverage over the past few years. Where would you like to see more LTE?

Feedback Score
    I haven't been to any cities where T-Mobile doesn't have LTE but judging by their coverage map, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana should be at the top of their list. I guess there are a couple of "cities" in those places...

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assume you're talking about native coverage? T-Mobile has roaming in all of the areas you mentioned. It's not like they have no coverage at all in those areas.

In Wyoming, they roam on Union Wireless, which is treated as native T-Mobile coverage, with no caps or limits. Most domestic roaming is unlimited.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1le View Post
    Overall I'm a happy T-mobile customer. Unfortunately I have family in Wausau, WI which is one of the largest cities in the USA without coverage. Anecdotally I'm also aware of no coverage in Casper, WY (which has an "international" airport), Coos Bay, Or + Rock Springs, WY + a bunch of cities in Arizona & the UP of Michigan. Also for what it is worth I-80 in Wyoming has a big stretch of no coverage and I-70 in Utah has more than usual dead zones.

T-mobile has done an exceptional job at adding coverage over the past few years. Where would you like to see more LTE?
    I've been through Coos Bay a couple of times. It's a small coastal city. ~16K people. The area is not a hugely popular tourist destination because it is a significant distance from any major city. The South Oregon coast is pretty, but not very populous. Coos Bay is in USCC territory. Perhaps T-mobile plans to leverage that roaming agreement. If I recall correctly, it was AT&T roaming the last time I went through there (acquired from edge wireless)

I expect T-mobile will probably build out more coverage along hiwy 101. I do see some native coverage just south of Coos Bay. For the most part, I still wouldn't recommend T-mobile to someone interested in exploring rural Oregon. Verizon, AT&T, and in some parts of Oregon USCC would be the way to go.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to see service in places that are listed on their coverage map as having service.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I've been through Coos Bay a couple of times. It's a small coastal city. ~16K people. The area is not a hugely popular tourist destination because it is a significant distance from any major city. The South Oregon coast is pretty, but not very populous. Coos Bay is in USCC territory. Perhaps T-mobile plans to leverage that roaming agreement. If I recall correctly, it was AT&T roaming the last time I went through there (acquired from edge wireless)

I expect T-mobile will probably build out more coverage along hiwy 101. I do see some native coverage just south of Coos Bay. For the most part, I still wouldn't recommend T-mobile to someone interested in exploring rural Oregon. Verizon, AT&T, and in some parts of Oregon USCC would be the way to go.
    Isn't tmobile partnering up with USCC for roaming?

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1le View Post
    ........Unfortunately I have family in Wausau, WI which is one of the largest cities in the USA without coverage. .....
    Wausau is interesting because it's not covered by either T-Mobile or USCC. One or the other should provide service there. USCC's coverage map shows it as LTE roaming.

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Isn't tmobile partnering up with USCC for roaming?....
    Yes, but as in most things, USCC is delinquent. It was supposed to be active months ago but only went into service recently is one state (Iowa).
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    City: Wausau, WI
    County: Marathon, WI
    Downlink bandwidth

Total: 15 MHz
    AWS-1: 10 MHz
    PCS: 5 MHz

It is hard to have coverage in areas where T-Mobile doesn't own enough spectrum or zero Sub-1 Ghz of Spectrum. T-Mobile is a upstart company that is growing fast that compete against two giant networks. T-Mobile in a couble of years will have nation wide 600 Mhz they will be able to support customers like the Duopoly Networks. I expect T-Mobile will have the first Nation Wide 5G network by 2020 that will make them a real player Nationally.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Isn't tmobile partnering up with USCC for roaming?
    Yes, but currently USCC only has VoLTE support in Iowa and doesn't plan to have VoLTE build out to USCC other markets until 2018 according to their fincial reports last quater. Without VoLTE T-Mobile customers are limited with USCC. However I been told that USCC has a GSM service in the upper NE of the USA that may be working.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile is a upstart company
    A 16 year old company is not an upstart.

I like T-Mobile, I am a customer of theirs, and I get that they're trying to compete against two larger companies, but let's not fanboy too much here.

Besides, ever heard of Deutsche Telekom? Yeah, the telephone company subsidiary of the German government until the 90s. This isn't some little David vs. Goliath story, as much as John Legere would like to frame it that way for cool points.

Feedback Score
    Nationwide 5G network by 2020? I want what you are smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    A 16 year old company is not an upstart.

I like T-Mobile, I am a customer of theirs, and I get that they're trying to compete against two larger companies, but let's not fanboy too much here.

Besides, ever heard of Deutsche Telekom? Yeah, the telephone company subsidiary of the German government until the 90s. This isn't some little David vs. Goliath story, as much as John Legere would like to frame it that way for cool points.
    Actually 23 year old company. Voicestream was founded in 94.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkitysplit View Post
    Nationwide 5G network by 2020? I want what you are smoking.
    They use "nationwide" loosely. By 2020, 5G will be just starting to launch. Maybe they mean they'll have it launched in a few cities across the country by then.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    They use "nationwide" loosely. By 2020, 5G will be just starting to launch. Maybe they mean they'll have it launched in a few cities across the country by then.
    Yeah, well, there are still plenty of places in the U.S. with no cellular coverage at all. "nationwide" doesn't mean everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Wausau is interesting because it's not covered by either T-Mobile or USCC. One or the other should provide service there. USCC's coverage map shows it as LTE roaming.
    In my experience, T-mobile roams on AT&T in Wausau, which means a tiny 200 mb cap. (Which I sometimes hit without even realizing I was roaming!) For an MSA of over 100k people it would be nice to have either native T-mobile or roaming USCC coverage.

As to other posters who have commented that TMO maps are optimistic, it might be weather dependent. In the Lake Tahoe Basin, T-mobile had excellent coverage last fall that turned to horrible coverage when snow fell. Now that the snow has mostly melted coverage is good again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast