Thread: TracFone 2017 Q2 Performance

Feedback Score

TracFone 2017 Q2 Performance

From http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...obile.html?m=0

"América Móvil's Tracfone subsidiary lost 636,000 subscribers last quarter. That compares with a loss of 1.3 million in Q1, 2017 and a gain of 110,000 in Q2, 2016. TracFone blamed the subscriber loss on increased competition and seasonal effects. TracFone's revenue of $1.93 billion this quarter was down 2.5% compared with Q1, 2017 but up 8.8% compared with the second quarter of last year. TracFone operates the Straight Talk, NET10, Tracfone, Simple Mobile, Page Plus, Total Wireless, Telcel America, Walmart Family Mobile, GoSmart and SafeLink Wireless MVNO brands in the US."

América Móvil’s second quarter of
    2017 financial and operating report:
    http://www.americamovil.com/sites/de...17-07/2q17.pdf

Now if only TracFone would invest in improving their customer service.

Feedback Score
    I had no idea that Tracfone was part of such a large phone family. Yes indeed, if customer service was better they would retain more customers and make new customers more at ease. I don't suggest Tracfone to any of my friends because I don't want them to get mad at me. Tracfone customer service can be so frustrating to use. I use the internet to add new phones or anything else I need to do and so far I have had no problems doing so.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it's so sad to feel like we can't recommend TracFone because we don't want to risk putting others through the hell that sometimes TracFone puts us through.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Seasonal effects?
    If Tracfone is having a problem with increased competition, why is their chosen solution to remove TMFL, cut back on days of service and restrict our choice of airtime? To squeeze more profit out of fewer customers?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    While Tracfone has the most prepaid customers I was struck by the fact the quarterly profits for VZ & AT&T are more than double Tracfone's revenue for the quarter.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Seasonal effects?
    If Tracfone is having a problem with increased competition, why is their chosen solution to remove TMFL, cut back on days of service and restrict our choice of airtime? To squeeze more profit out of fewer customers?
    I do not discount what you are saying, but it would be nice to know what each subsidiary lost in the way of customers. We can't just assume it was Tracfone "the service".

Straight Talk, NET10, Tracfone, Simple Mobile, Page Plus, Total Wireless, Telcel America, Walmart Family Mobile, GoSmart and SafeLink Wireless

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    I do not discount what you are saying, but it would be nice to know what each subsidiary lost in the way of customers. We can't just assume it was Tracfone "the service".

Straight Talk, NET10, Tracfone, Simple Mobile, Page Plus, Total Wireless, Telcel America, Walmart Family Mobile, GoSmart and SafeLink Wireless
    Yes ! a breakdown would be very interesting. Maybe it is in their annual report , or other sources ? The big 1Q loss of 1.3 million, I thought, was predominantly Safelink.

Carrier(s)
    4 lines of TracFone: Galaxy Luna Pro, Galaxy Express 3, ZTE Cymbal T, LG Phoenix 2
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    SafeLink Wireless

I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge number of their losses coming from that division. It's a government-funded program for the poor, and with a Republican administration running the show, an axe is going to fall on it.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score

TracFone 2017 Q2 Performance

Safelink was created as a communications safety net for very poor people. But it's become an abused boondoggle for the gimme-free-stuff/entitlement crowd-- many of whom have the service but don't meet the program's qualification requirements.

Where I come from, we call that fraud as well as government waste which is subsidized by us taxpayers. So yeah, I hope the Republicans do kick all the cheats and chiselers out of the program...
    Last edited by chasham; 08-06-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    You are right. There is so much abuse with that program it's sickening. It was originally a great program but the abusers ruined it

Feedback Score
    Sounds like the people running the program need to make some adjustments to the verify participants meeting the program requirements - or has that already happened and led to these decreasing Safelink numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post
    Safelink was created as a communications safety net for very poor people. But it's become an abused boondoggle for the gimme-free-stuff/entitlement crowd-- many of whom have the service but don't meet the program's qualification requirements.
    Where I come from, we call that fraud as well as government waste which is subsidized by us taxpayers. So yeah, I hope the Republicans do kick all the cheats and chiselers out of the program...

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    You are right. There is so much abuse with that program it's sickening. It was originally a great program but the abusers ruined it
    Most of the abuse stems from these private Companies turning a blind eye and signing up participants that do no qualify in order to leach off the Government.
    The privatization of services has bread rampant Corporate malfeasance in areas where the Government subsidizes services which makes it that much harder to identifying the fraud compared to if it were completely run in house.
    It also doesn't help when our elected Representatives who are supposed to work for the people, demorat or rethuglacan alike, put in place corporate tools to run the agencies that are supposed to regulate the industries they used to work for and ultimately return to when administrations change or they are simply replaced.

Government that works in the interest of the public actually does work when you have those in charge that serve the public at large and not business.

Feedback Score
    I believe on ebay I saw someone selling safelink phones. They had a lot of minutes and also a warning that the phone number couldn't be changed nor could minutes be added I think. It didn't specifically say safelink, but duh. I sent a message to ebay, but nothing happened. These were the cheap candybar safelink type phones. So there might be scams where people are recruited to sign up and then they sell the phones to a dealer. Wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe people used to accept the candybar phones, but now it's embarrassing.