Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new phone

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom mobile
    Feedback Score

In the market for a new phone

I honestly have no idea where else to post this, but since I'm with Wind/Freedom, I guess it should be here.

I've had the same phone for five years; a release date LG Nexus 4, and the main reason why I'm replacing it is because it's beginning to show its age (plus, there's a 2" long fine crack on the screen)

Since it's been so long since I've gotten a phone, I'd appreciate any ideas. It doesn't need to be a Wind/Freedom branded phone, just compatible with the network (which I can check on willmyphonework.net)

So, here's what I'm looking for:

Android.
    Large storage capacity, or expandable storage via micro SD
    Fast processor and a lot of ram.
    Decent camera would be useful because I take a lot of pictures for my work on the go (professional artist) and post it to social media right away.

Other than that, not really looking for anything special.

I hope someone here can help me out with this. There are just so many phones out there to choose from, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Feedback Score
    Look @ the S8, G6 or V20 (both have dual camera but older processors). The Note 6 is also coming soon which should be compatible with Freedom. Depends on your budget as well, the options listed are high end devices with the price tags to match.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I picked up a OnePlus 5 about three weeks ago and have really liked it so far. Take a look at it if you haven't already.

Device(s)
    LG G5, LG G4, Note 4, BB Classic
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, TELUS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LG G6

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Same as my requirement plus I want a removable battery....
    was originally aimed for Note 8 (I know 99% it won't have a removable battery), but since wind is going to deploy 700Mhz in GTA, so I guess I don't HAVE to buy a band 66 LTE compatible phone anymore? Am I correct? What about Huawei P10?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What's your budget?
    For something mid-range, I've had my eyes on an Asus Zenfone 3.
    Motorola DPC 550, Mitsubishi G310, Panasonic A102, Motorola V60, Sony Ericsson W200, Sony Ericsson C510a, Motorola XT502, HTC Desire V, LG Optimus L9, Samsung T159, LG G2, Huawei U2801, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport SE (short lived), BlackBerry Passport (White), BlackBerry DTEK60 (short lived), BlackBerry Priv.

Feedback Score
    Get the v20, supports all new and current bands and has removable battery

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohn90 View Post
    Get the v20, supports all new and current bands and has removable battery
    how is the v20 in terms of keeping up with security updates?
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jupejuperocket View Post
    Decent camera would be useful because I take a lot of pictures for my work on the go (professional artist) and post it to social media right away.
    You were talking Professional Pictures on a Nexus 4? If yes even a Current Entry Level Android would be able to take better 'Professional' Pictures then your Nexus 4.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    LG G6 is a great cell n n I love the camera. I have gotten some great shots with it!

Sent from my LG G6

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    how is the v20 in terms of keeping up with security updates?
    Currently on May 1st, 2017 patch levels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laxplayer19 View Post
    I picked up a OnePlus 5 about three weeks ago and have really liked it so far. Take a look at it if you haven't already.
    Are you using that on freedom? There's a whole thread about people having issues with LTE on band 66 phones not purchased from Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juleso View Post
    Are you using that on freedom? There's a whole thread about people having issues with LTE on band 66 phones not purchased from Freedom.
    Yes. The 1P5 doesn't stay connected to freedom LTE. Drops down to h+ or 3G.

Have to manually acquire LTE again. Phone is awesome....network issue...imho!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Former Mobilicity Subscriber)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jupejuperocket View Post
    I honestly have no idea where else to post this, but since I'm with Wind/Freedom, I guess it should be here.

I've had the same phone for five years; a release date LG Nexus 4, and the main reason why I'm replacing it is because it's beginning to show its age (plus, there's a 2" long fine crack on the screen)

Since it's been so long since I've gotten a phone, I'd appreciate any ideas. It doesn't need to be a Wind/Freedom branded phone, just compatible with the network (which I can check on willmyphonework.net)

So, here's what I'm looking for:

Android.
    Large storage capacity, or expandable storage via micro SD
    Fast processor and a lot of ram.

Other than that, not really looking for anything special.

I hope someone here can help me out with this. There are just so many phones out there to choose from, I wouldn't know where to begin.
    Screw Android. Go with an iPhone. Not to knock Android, but unless you have a Pixel, or Nexus, you're waiting for updates from your phone's manufacturer. On an iPhone, you don't have to as the updates come from Apple irregardless if your phone is carrier branded. Apple's updates take preference over carrier branding. The downside to this is iPhones are notorious for not having microSD card slots, but this can be overcome at least on the 128GB and above models (6S, 6S Plus, 7 and 7 Plus). All of these are high end devices. Granted the 6 series is a couple of years old, the only reason you'd be replacing the phone is if the OS can't be upgraded anymore. Space you can definitely juggle. Will they work on Freedom? Yes. But they are without Band 66, but they do have Bands 7, 12 and 13, so when LTE rolls out on those, you'll be good to go. When I bought my 6S (then exchanged for a 6S Plus), people still had iPhone 4's. 4's. That's longevity there. Apple does give you 5GB free, for space on iCloud, but there are numerous storage options and the price for at least 200GB of cloud space is cheap. This should more than cover your rear end, but whatever photos you delete on your phone, unless you have a separate folder on iCloud to archive them in, are also deleted off the cloud.

Far less problems with the processor and RAM and does not crash as much. Another fact? On an iPhone, should you decide to exchange it or upgrade it, during the setup when you do either, you literally do not have to do anything. All your settings will be duplicated exactly onto your other phone. All pictures that you had on your old phone will be transferred. Your address Book will also be transferred. You will lose nothing should something happen to your phone and you have to restore it. On an Android, this is not possible. iPhones also perform automatic backups everyday (at a random time), when it's plugged in, locked and connected to Wifi. On an Android, this is not possible.

As far as the camera, do your research but if you want OIS, 6S Plus and above will cover you.

Whoever suggested the Asus Zenfone 3, should be aware that the ZE552KL is very problematic. In September, it'll go back to the service center for the 4th time. Because the phone bootlooped, is why I went over to the milk and cookies. Zenfone AR's are apparently Final Sale.

Having an iPhone vs. an Android, the difference is night and day. But I would heavily suggest that you do your research.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Former Mobilicity Subscriber)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohn90 View Post
    Currently on May 1st, 2017 patch levels.
    That's why you drink the milk and cookies and you don't have that problem. That is the biggest sticking point for anything that's not a Nexus or a Pixel. Patch levels and security updates. Don't know about the others.
    Last edited by Driver8666; 08-06-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast